Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Melee Map Projects > Topic: (2)Dark Crystals
(2)Dark Crystals
Nov 27 2009, 6:00 pm
By: Super Duper  

Nov 27 2009, 6:00 pm Super Duper Post #1

Pic:

Download:
http://download16.mediafire.com/25i4tt2jbjog/teu2jnejjlg/%282%29Cloudy+Crystals.scx

Hmm, cant think of anything to say other than the nats can easily be harassed.

EDIT: Also, the top left is the main and the bottum right is a main.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Nov 27 2009, 6:35 pm by Ciara.

None.

Nov 27 2009, 6:20 pm Devourer Post #2

Hello

To be honest, I like the dark-swarm idea but it is way to imba because when a protoss plays vs a terran and the protoss player somehow made it to the mineral-fields with a zealot during the early game the terran player neither can mine nor kill him with rines (SCVs could which would be a waste to be honest).

Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Nov 27 2009, 6:22 pm Super Duper Post #3

Actually, no. When you place dark swarms, its just the graphics. The effect doesnt really take place.

None.

Nov 27 2009, 6:24 pm Pr0nogo Post #4

Label mains.

Too much empty space IMO, and the Swarms shouldn't be on the mains or the expos (other than the nats, which are fine that way).

Maybe you should add a chokepoint to the nats in order to even out harassment.

Once again, on the top- and bottom-middle expansions, Terran can drop Siege Tanks on the high ground. Break that up.

Nov 27 2009, 6:32 pm Super Duper Post #5

Quote from name:Pronogo
Label mains. - Done

Too much empty space IMO, and the Swarms shouldn't be on the mains or the expos (other than the nats, which are fine that way). - Fixed the empty space, whats wrong with the dark swarms?

Maybe you should add a chokepoint to the nats in order to even out harassment. - Done

Once again, on the top- and bottom-middle expansions, Terran can drop Siege Tanks on the high ground. Break that up. - Done
Updated Original Post

None.

Nov 27 2009, 6:53 pm Pr0nogo Post #6

Quote from Ciara
Fixed the empty space, whats wrong with the dark swarms?

It isn't aesthetically pleasing, although on the nats it's necessary to help anti-harass.

Quote from Both of us
Once again, on the top- and bottom-middle expansions, Terran can drop Siege Tanks on the high ground. Break that up. - Done

Lawl, I meant put dirt pieces in the High Dirt areas, but doodads work just as well.

Nov 27 2009, 11:12 pm BeDazed Post #7

Actually, no. When you place dark swarms, its just the graphics. The effect doesnt really take place.
No, I believe the effect remains. A map, I recall DMZ that used Dark Swarm, and retained its effect.

If you ask me, you should first learn how to use the symmetrical functions of SCMDraft 2. In Melee, bases must be even to give the players a balanced amount of space and resources. I don't even know I should say this, because it's all there in the guide.

And as you can see, your map lacks a lot of space. Small chokes and too many paths that are able to be bottlenecked are likely to be advantageous to T. Also, before you get started on your map- try to draw out an outline of where expansions and mains will be. The results will be very different, much better.

None.

Nov 28 2009, 12:02 am Super Duper Post #8

Quote from BeDazed
No, I believe the effect remains. A map, I recall DMZ that used Dark Swarm, and retained its effect.

If you ask me, you should first learn how to use the symmetrical functions of SCMDraft 2. In Melee, bases must be even to give the players a balanced amount of space and resources. I don't even know I should say this, because it's all there in the guide.

And as you can see, your map lacks a lot of space. Small chokes and too many paths that are able to be bottlenecked are likely to be advantageous to T. Also, before you get started on your map- try to draw out an outline of where expansions and mains will be. The results will be very different, much better.
Im pretty sure the effect doesnt remain, Dazed. Ill test it to make sure, though.

I did make 90% of this make symmetrical. However, I removed a LOT of space simply because pron told me that the map would be better if space was removed, so I did remove space.

None.

Nov 28 2009, 3:26 am BeDazed Post #9

You shouldn't just remove a lot of space because someone you know told you it would be better to do so. Most come to understand why people leave out a ton of space in the middle when they reach a certain level in melee. It is because it makes the game a huge game of tug of war. And that's not fun, especially when it comes to siege tanks.

If, and If you were not experienced at melee, you would probably be thinking- well if siege tanks, why not just go aerial and whoop their asses?
Here's problem #1: Aerial units are high tech, which means getting them will take a longer time than the opponent can with ground units. When you are late, you don't want to be late because most of the times, you get your ass whooped before you can get aerial units.
Here's problem #2: Aerial units are weak. They get their asses whooped every time, and are only used because they can strike at areas ground units cannot. They quickly lose their advantage once scouted, and they cost a ton.
Here's problem #3: The highest level of air unit is pretty good, Carriers, BCs. Well, if you knew how long they take to make, you wouldn't bother going for them before you own the game with your own ground units. They're partly 'lulz' unit for turtles and newbies.

Also, your natural mineral is tankable, by all means- that is not good. You don't want any of your mains or natural to be tankable.
Thats two huge advantage for T already.

By all means, you should first study the basic 3 strategies of each race.
T - 2 rack, 1 rack double, 1 fact double.
P - 2 gate, 1 gate double, 2 gate core
Z - 12 hatch, 12 pool, 3 hatch
It's probably all on TeamLiquid or something.

You should also study some pro maps too, since you seem to have no idea what you're doing.
Heres some:
4p: Luna, Python, Othello
3p: Tau Cross, Longinus, Rush Hour II
2p: Peaks of Baekdu (or something, it sounds similar), Blue Storm
Download it from www.iccup.com

None.

Nov 28 2009, 8:53 pm Pr0nogo Post #10

The space I meant for you to remove was the emptiness in the bottom main/middle relationship and the top main/middle relationship.

I could be wrong about this, but the top two high-ground bases (one of which is a main) appear to have smaller ramps than the bottom two bases.

Options
  Back to forum