Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: I GOT INTO DIGIPEN
I GOT INTO DIGIPEN
Nov 23 2009, 5:42 pm
By: CecilSunkure
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 59 >

Nov 24 2009, 9:08 pm Moose Post #41

We live in a society.

Quote from CecilSunkure
As for limits of functions, aren't they used all the time in collision detection? Especially for equations that don't necessarily have traditional formulas for, in which a "guess, check, and guess again" approach is used in solving the equations?
I couldn't tell you. My logical approach to collisions would be to check if each of the object's coordinates are within certain intervals of whatever it would be colliding with.

Nov 25 2009, 2:37 am Syphon Post #42

You have incredibly mediocre dreams.

But congratulations at achieving them.

None.

Nov 25 2009, 2:42 am Centreri Post #43

Relatively ancient and inactive

One thing: I don't see how you can possibly hope to take over the world taking this career path. I can see doing it as an engineer, or as a businessman, as a scientist.... but video game designer, not going to happen.

None.

Nov 25 2009, 2:48 am CecilSunkure Post #44

Quote from Centreri
One thing: I don't see how you can possibly hope to take over the world taking this career path. I can see doing it as an engineer, or as a businessman, as a scientist.... but video game designer, not going to happen.
I know I know.. It's something I've been struggling with for a while now. I'll just have to say: taking over the world was a back-up plan.

Quote from Syphon
You have incredibly mediocre dreams.
Besides getting into DigiPen, and taking over the world (which wasn't a dream, just a goal, literary device in the OP), I've never explained my dreams, so I'm not sure how you know they are mediocre, and I don't know what you are comparing them to in order to call them mediocre.

None.

Nov 25 2009, 3:56 am DT_Battlekruser Post #45

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
Quote from CecilSunkure
As for limits of functions, aren't they used all the time in collision detection? Especially for equations that don't necessarily have traditional formulas for, in which a "guess, check, and guess again" approach is used in solving the equations?
I couldn't tell you. My logical approach to collisions would be to check if each of the object's coordinates are within certain intervals of whatever it would be colliding with.

Yeah, the pool table I wrote way-back-when just used standard 2D-collision physics with elastic collisions that checked when something would iterate into a collision. If I had time I would go back to add spin and torque :P

Quote from Centreri

Well, you could take psychology classes and find out how to embed subliminal mind control into your games.. :P

None.

Nov 25 2009, 3:59 am Centreri Post #46

Relatively ancient and inactive

Games target the wrong portion of the population to have any lasting effect. If you do this, the governments would notice, and, not playing games themselves, will shut you down. You need to be wilier than that to take over the world. I'm going for working with a neuroscientist to transfer consciousness onto a computer (me doing the computery part) and working my way from there.

None.

Nov 25 2009, 4:01 am CecilSunkure Post #47

Quote from Centreri
Games target the wrong portion of the population to have any lasting effect. If you do this, the governments would notice, and, not playing games themselves, will shut you down. You need to be wilier than that to take over the world.
Oh, the wrong population? Casual games and hardcore games reach a very significant portion of the population, I'm sure of that. However, it isn't anywhere near as strong as television's influence.

Who knows, with interactive 3D holographic headsets, I may just produce a machine that can export code (in the form of electrical signals) into your brain ^^

None.

Nov 25 2009, 4:02 am Corbo Post #48

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Hey, there's a lot of people that has made a lot of money from the video games industry if that's where you're all getting to.

fuck you all

Nov 27 2009, 5:34 am CecilSunkure Post #49

Just received my acceptance letter (I called DigiPen and asked if I was accepted before they sent my letter)! It contains some info, and it looks like I'll be moving up there late August! Dang.. 9.5 months left :c

None.

Nov 27 2009, 5:40 am UnholyUrine Post #50

You better start reading this book: Rules of Play ...

That is.. if you're going in for Game Design ^.^ ...

go and work for blizzard XD .. when SC3's coming out, let us know ;)

None.

Nov 27 2009, 5:44 am CecilSunkure Post #51

Freshman year is almost purely CS, even for the GD degree :P

I'll be starting out in their RTIS degree, and hopefully switching into their GD//CS degree for sophomore year and on :D

I wasn't accepted into their GD degree, because my essays were a bit off. In one essay I didn't communicate my ideas clear enough, and the other was a bit off topic. I'll re-apply next year, and most likely get in. It will cost me quite a bit of money to make up a couple classes due to the switching of majors, but oh well. I'll pay off my debts once I graduate.

And yeah, I'll take a look at that book :D

None.

Nov 27 2009, 6:37 am Corbo Post #52

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

We need more fpsrpmmo k?

fuck you all

Nov 27 2009, 7:05 am CecilSunkure Post #53

Quote from Corbo
We need more fpsrpmmo k?
You forgot the g at the end of that, lol ^^

None.

Nov 27 2009, 7:17 am ClansAreForGays Post #54

Digipen is one of the only game programming/design schools that isn't just a money trap. Congrats.

Keep a weekly blog detailing your gradual growth from nothing - to successfully understanding game programming. You'll achieve even more fame than you would if you had a hand in some future FF game(which you won't until you're 40 maybe). Just something to keep the world conquering dream alive :ermm:

Quote from UnholyUrine
This. Unless you're some kind of weirdo that doesn't hope to use game programming as a means to reach game design.

Nov 27 2009, 7:23 am CecilSunkure Post #55

Quote from ClansAreForGays
Digipen is one of the only game programming/design schools that isn't just a money trap. Congrats.

Keep a weekly blog detailing your gradual growth from nothing - to successfully understanding game programming. You'll achieve even more fame than you would if you had a hand in some future FF game(which you won't until you're 40 maybe). Just something to keep the world conquering dream alive :ermm:

Quote from UnholyUrine
This. Unless you're some kind of weirdo that doesn't hope to use game programming as a means to reach game design.
Thanks CAFG :)

Not exactly sure of what you mean in the bolded sentence though.. Were you just kidding about the log? I can't tell :c

None.

Nov 28 2009, 8:19 am CecilSunkure Post #56

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
Quote from CecilSunkure
Interesting article on 2d collision detection. You don't need to understand the code to understand every concept in the article. However, to understand the code some decent math is required: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/verletPhys/

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 28 2009, 8:27 am by CecilSunkure.

None.

Nov 28 2009, 8:47 am ClansAreForGays Post #57

Quote from CecilSunkure

Quote from UnholyUrine
Thanks CAFG :)

Not exactly sure of what you mean in the bolded sentence though.. Were you just kidding about the log? I can't tell :c
Student game programmer blogs are very popular. Just saying more people know about Patrick than whoever did the title screen UI for FFXII

Also, your first VG job will probably be something like this - http://www.thecliquevideogame.com/ If you already know that, you don't need my advice.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 28 2009, 9:06 am by ClansAreForGays.

Nov 28 2009, 9:02 am CecilSunkure Post #58

Student game programmer blogs are very popular. Just saying more people know about Patrick than whoever did the title screen UI for FFXII
Ah, so I should start a blog right now then, since I just started up C++ ^^

http://cecilsunkure.blogspot.com/

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 28 2009, 10:00 am by CecilSunkure.

None.

Nov 7 2015, 8:57 am CecilSunkure Post #59

For the record: the school sucks, worst decision I've made in my life. RIP.

None.

Nov 7 2015, 10:43 am Oh_Man Post #60

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Sad to hear, but care to give specifics?

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 59 >
  Back to forum