Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Showcase > Topic: Diplomacy: Empires
Diplomacy: Empires
Sep 20 2009, 12:38 pm
By: Excalibur
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Oct 6 2009, 5:38 pm Wormer Post #41

Good map.
Have played it twice with pubbies. Haven't advanced very far, but here are my bugs/inconveniences/suggestions.

1. There are 2 geysers where a drone get struck (shown with red circles on the picture).

2. There is medium ground dirt which has a low ground temple, which screws up the vision (shown with a green circle on the same picture).

3. Two stacked hatcheries might be confusing. The first game I played I haven't payed much attention and accidentally advanced both to the lair and was like: "wtf can't I build Ultralisk Caverns and Defiler Mounts?!"

Can you split them a bit to make it clear there are two?

4. The name of the force still says the map is version 0.92.

5. Make a briefing (well I guess you know that :P ).

6. The map lags. Okay, one might think it is hardly noticeable at start, but actually this becomes quite annoying.

7. The teleports are inconvenient. Please, make at least the units teleported being deselected. At most it would be wonderful if units roaming around wouldn't have fallen into them.

My idea here is to make them being invincible Nydus Canals. Give the Nydus to the player which controls the most men nearby. Moreover, different players may control the entrance and the exit, which fits perfect. Besides, this will eliminate the possible problem when units can't be moved to the exit location or when they immediately fall into the opposite entrance.

Another idea is to preplace some unmovealbe transports and teleport only units which entered the transport. The units which can't be moved are constantly unloading the transport. With transports you might require some building at predefined places to be built in order to "establish" the path, so you can advance through the sea only in the iron age.

8. Make messages stick to a color theme.

9. Make a message when someone builds a wonder. Make beacons below each wonder in the wonderes area. Give beacons to the people who own wonders.

10. Playing as a red anglo-saxon I've built a bronze age wonder. It told me I can choose the wonder and made the civilian in the middle of the coresponding area, which was immediately killed with no explanations. I'm not quite sure what happened.

11. Not quite sure how this is done, but in case all wonders of a given age are built immediately remove the wonder building (Spire/Turret/Observatory) when you start it or when it is in progress. Give the refund and explanations (well, probably no refund if it was in progress while this happened, but do refund when you are trying to start building when no wonders left).

12. The "Goverment Monarchy" location is shifted. Not quite sure if it should be.

13. What for are these start locations for players 9-12?

14. Stack the "You're Alive!" buildings in some area with a tile which forbids vision.

15. Paint the nation the player have chosen with it's color so everyone can see who plays who. It also would have been nice if you can reveal locations where people start.

In case you have another policy to hide this information, make the chooser units Dark Templars so one can't see who choosen what.

16. In case you have reached an iron or a golden age, have lost your last worker of that age and have no command centers or nexuses I would have personally liked the worker to be revived.

Also, I have some unique ideas which probably might apply in this kind of map. I'm not a greedy kind and wish to share them with you. If you're interested please contact me. I would like to show you few experimental/unfinished maps to give you a gist of the concept.

Some.

Oct 6 2009, 5:55 pm Excalibur Post #42

The sword and the faith

1 & 2: Thanks.
3-5: Noted.
6: How does the map lag exactly? If you mean triggers with waits lag, yes they do. I'd have to retrigger every one of my 150 income triggers by hand if I wanted to add Hypers. I'm too lazy.
7: Good idea, noted.
8: I have yet to redo all the strings I didn't create.
9: The player is given the wonder that they make. I think that should be enough, but noted.
10: I'll look into it.
11: There is a trigger for this already I believe.
12: Governments have been removed until I can find time to remake them.
13: Why not?
14: Noted
15: I don't really think either is necessary. But noted.
16: You can buy a new one, there's a place for it.

Feel free to post anything else you'd like to see.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 6 2009, 6:10 pm by Excalibur.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Oct 6 2009, 6:31 pm Wormer Post #43

6. Haven't meant the latency of triggers response here. The map lags like there are too many triggers, too many give units, move units (and etc.) actions being executed at once. You should definitely fix this. There is too few triggers (only 300) for them to lag, I believe everything which makes a map with such little number of triggers lag could be redone without the lag.

7. My bad there are actually some problems there. Namely, non zerg units could not move through Nydus and units could not be moved from the transport. That why the Nydus Canal falls away (:sigh:). The transport idea could be developed in few directions though. The easy way is to remove units from the transport and recreate them on the other side, the problem here is obvious. More tricky way is to somehow order full transports to the other side to actually transport the units. (Edit: not exclude the other probable solutions too.)

16. Alright, I've finally figured that out. But I'd personally like the revive more.

EDIT: Went to play a few more games of this :)

Some.

Oct 6 2009, 6:36 pm Excalibur Post #44

The sword and the faith

6: If I wanted to retrigger the maps main systems, yes, it could be done. The map uses old, outdated systems that lag and could be replaced with newer, faster, better ones. Do I want to do this? No. Why? I am unable to use any sort of trigger duplicator (too complicated/no coding knowledge what so ever/if it doesn't have a GUI, I can't do it, I don't use text triggers for this reason.), and I am not going to redo 200+ triggers by hand.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Oct 6 2009, 6:37 pm Wormer Post #45

Quote from Excalibur
6: If I wanted to retrigger the maps main systems, yes, it could be done. The map uses old, outdated systems that lag and could be replaced with newer, faster, better ones. Do I want to do this? No. Why? I am unable to use any sort of trigger duplicator (too complicated/no coding knowledge what so ever/if it doesn't have a GUI, I can't do it, I don't use text triggers for this reason.), and I am not going to redo 200+ triggers by hand.
Probably I can help you with this, if you wish/allow me.

Some.

Oct 6 2009, 6:38 pm Excalibur Post #46

The sword and the faith

Quote from Wormer
Quote from Excalibur
Probably I can help you with this, if you wish/allow me.
Tell me what you'd like to do exactly. Replacement systems, method of implementation, ect.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Oct 6 2009, 6:45 pm ClansAreForGays Post #47

1. I don't experience any lag playing.

2. I don't see anything wrong with the way teleporting is done already.

3. If I try to build 2 wonders at once, all my spires die on the completion of one, screwing me over 3k.

4. Oracles don't have archon meld enabled, so it is impossible to get the messiah.

5. emissaries don't have dark archon meld enabled, but for some reason I can still upgrade the dark archon's talisman?

6. Dweb is disabled, making mount Olympus completely worthless.

I get the feeling you never play tested Jerusalem.

Oct 6 2009, 9:01 pm Wormer Post #48

CAFG 4. Oracles upgrades for the white player is fine.

Quote from Wormer
11. Not quite sure how this is done, but in case all wonders of a given age are built immediately remove the wonder building (Spire/Turret/Observatory) when you start it or when it is in progress. Give the refund and explanations (well, probably no refund if it was in progress while this happened, but do refund when you are trying to start building when no wonders left).
Quote from Excalibur
11: There is a trigger for this already I believe.
The map doesn't work like this. The bug report 10 of mine must have been because all wonders of the corresponding age have been built. But there is no message for that. The map should interrupt the attempt to build a wonder immediately and refund. Probably you might forbid building 2 wonders at once. But actually this might be also considered as a balance bug, because usually one shouldn't have enough money to build 2 wonders at one time.

Continuing my numeration for convenience.

17. The fog of war of the white is broken at start.

18. More drones struck at geysers (marked 2 additional places on the picture with red).

19. There is a place (marked with blue on the same picture) where the ramp and the passage are too small for medium-large units. The drones delay on the ramp while harvesting too.

20. A player had the bug when he was not able to build the nexus on some island. He said it was Sardinia.

21. Also there is a bug in Gotland with placing nexus. The only place available is very near to the water path.

22. Disable carrier capacity upgrades (at least for white).

23. Was the Sci Vessel supposed to spawn at the choose wonder area?

24. The defiler's broodlings spam unit unplaceable. Do this via cache area or make them stronger but with the energy countdown.

25. Don't you want to convert all workers when someone reaches the new age?

26. The flag beacon at the coliseum area spawns (who might think what) a flag, which when selected crashed my game. That is why there are no more bug reports from me today :(

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Oct 6 2009, 9:06 pm by Wormer.

Some.

Oct 7 2009, 2:35 am Excalibur Post #49

The sword and the faith

3. If I try to build 2 wonders at once, all my spires die on the completion of one, screwing me over 3k.
I'd have to retrigger the whole wonder system for this not to happen. You shouldn't be building 2 wonders at once anyway, but I'll look into it.

4. Oracles don't have archon meld enabled, so it is impossible to get the messiah.\
Fixed, try .93

5. emissaries don't have dark archon meld enabled, but for some reason I can still upgrade the dark archon's talisman?
Fixed, try .93

6. Dweb is disabled, making mount Olympus completely worthless.
Fixed, try .93

I get the feeling you never play tested Jerusalem.
Yes I did, can I play test every position to Golden? No. That takes too long.

17. The fog of war of the white is broken at start.
Noted.

18. More drones struck at geysers (marked 2 additional places on the picture with red).
Thanks.

19. There is a place (marked with blue on the same picture) where the ramp and the passage are too small for medium-large units. The drones delay on the ramp while harvesting too.
Thanks.

20. A player had the bug when he was not able to build the nexus on some island. He said it was Sardinia.
Too bad. Islands aren't meant for building. You are not supposed to be able to mine from every fucking geyser. v.v

21. Also there is a bug in Gotland with placing nexus. The only place available is very near to the water path.
See above.

22. Disable carrier capacity upgrades (at least for white).
Noted.

23. Was the Sci Vessel supposed to spawn at the choose wonder area?
Yes.

24. The defiler's broodlings spam unit unplaceable. Do this via cache area or make them stronger but with the energy countdown.
Noted.

25. Don't you want to convert all workers when someone reaches the new age?
No. Absolutely fucking not. You are missing the entire point of the map. Drones are used through all ages as to not waste T/P supply.

26. The flag beacon at the coliseum area spawns (who might think what) a flag, which when selected crashed my game.
Noted.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Oct 8 2009, 9:57 am Excalibur Post #50

The sword and the faith

I'm creating a help beacon area while I go through re-formatting various display strings. If someone could write up or give input on what the help beacon should tell players, as I'm not really sure what you guys find difficult/hard to understand when first getting into the map, that'd be really cool.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Oct 9 2009, 9:55 am Excalibur Post #51

The sword and the faith

More Updates:
All non-trigger related bugs have been addressed. Trigger based bugs soon to be squashed.

I went through the strings and re-did everything from the old versions in my traditional bracketed color coded style. The strings are now almost the same quality as those used in the RE:RC 1.xx series, and look killer. There may be a couple color or centering mistakes, but time will tell, and hopefully so will my testers. :P

The map now looks great both in terrain and strings. Now we just have to get to the triggers.

Admittedly I've been procrastinating, putting the triggers off, and seeing what else there is to do. Right now, the help/FAQ beacon text is a priority as I still have no clue what to put there. Wormer, Clans, I'd appreciate some feedback on what should go in there.

Other than that things are looking good, and .95 will be out soon.

Edit:
Ling and I tested the .95 release candidate this morning.

-Added Bronze, Iron and Gold Markets.
5 of each kind can be built giving 3/6/9 minerals/gas a second each depending on which type you have built.

-Weakened Egyptian Chariots and Germanic Barbarians
Too strong.

-Zerg upgrades are now viable before Iron.
Base costs and base time decreased.

-Stuck drone geysers fixed.
Nailed 3 of them today.

ATTENTION:
Looking for testers who have hamachi. Ling and I 1v1ing isn't really good for balance testing, and I'd like to see how more players being thrown in affects the map.

Edit2:
Markets turned out to be game breakingly OP at 5. So we limited them to 3. Further testing will see if this has fixed the problem.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Oct 9 2009, 5:18 pm by Excalibur.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Oct 9 2009, 5:38 pm ClansAreForGays Post #52

Fixed, try .93
can't be found

Oct 9 2009, 6:25 pm Excalibur Post #53

The sword and the faith

Quote from ClansAreForGays
Fixed, try .93
can't be found
Quote from Excalibur
Enough! I want download! :flamer:
http://www.nibbits.com/sc/projects/diplomacy-empires/
Current version is available here due to Nibbits having problems.

Want To Help Me Out?
http://www.mediafire.com/?m1yjwiynm4z Host it on Bnet, play it, spread it around.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Oct 9 2009, 6:52 pm ClansAreForGays Post #54

Ex I want to play you because I'm pretty sure anglo-saxons wreck pretty much everything, but I've only been versing pubbies. I'd like to see against someone who know what they're doing.

Oct 9 2009, 6:54 pm Excalibur Post #55

The sword and the faith

Quote from ClansAreForGays
Ex I want to play you because I'm pretty sure anglo-saxons wreck pretty much everything, but I've only been versing pubbies. I'd like to see against someone who know what they're doing.
If you can host, we can, if you can't, get Hamachi.

Actually get Hamachi either way because then you can beta test with me and Ling. :P

Edit:
Also you could be completely correct about Anglo being OP, especially with the .95 changes. However, if you simply pick a nation far way from them, you have enough buffer to out tech them and thus win.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Oct 9 2009, 7:01 pm ClansAreForGays Post #56

Tell that to Egypt. But I can host, get on b.net.

I've hamachi in the past, but removed it due to a serious security threat in it, and the asshole direction they began to take with their company. Of course this was all back in 2006, so I'll give them another look over, but not right now.

Oct 9 2009, 8:37 pm Wormer Post #57

I'm sorry for not giving much feedback, but I have few time right now.
I support the CAFG opinion about Anglo-Saxons. Especially Vikings with their special firebat only in Iron age have absolutely no chance. I myself had a game playing as Vikings and some pubbie killed me with his rigged hydra. I was putting everything in advancing to the iron age as fast as I can. I was able to only build a CC when he came.

Some.

Oct 9 2009, 8:42 pm Excalibur Post #58

The sword and the faith

I've nerfed Anglo's hydras, but due to upgrades getting cheaper, and markets, I have to re-think some of the new changes.

PLEASE GIVE IDEAS OF WHAT TO PUT IN THE HELP BEACON. THIRD TIME ASKING KTHNX.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Oct 9 2009, 8:44 pm ClansAreForGays Post #59

I was putting everything in advancing to the iron age as fast as I can.
I found the problem.

Oct 9 2009, 8:47 pm ClansAreForGays Post #60

I say u use a FAQ style help sytem, with special building's name with strings like "How do I get more minerals?" or "I have too much gas/minerals, what should I do?" and have a civilian there. when you approach said building with it, it gives u an answer. This avoids players tuning out tips, which always happens.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 >
  Back to forum