Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Mapping Tools > Topic: Map editors for Macs?
Map editors for Macs?
Aug 13 2009, 8:11 pm
By: RexyRex  

Aug 13 2009, 8:11 pm RexyRex Post #1

So I'd like to try and use Starcraft as a creative outlet again. Except now I'm using a Mac. I have Windows installed on a virtual machine, but my copy of Starcraft is the Mac digital download version. So the files that SCMDraft needs to run aren't there. I'm curious if anyone has another idea I could try.

Thanks!

None.

Aug 13 2009, 8:25 pm poiuy_qwert Post #2

PyMS and ProTRG developer

It is still in development but your best bet is probably UnKnown Edit

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 13 2009, 8:37 pm by poiuy_qwert.

Aug 14 2009, 1:50 am rockz Post #3

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Can you download the non mac version?

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Aug 14 2009, 3:36 am FoxWolf1 Post #4

Obviously, you'll get the most power in terms of editing if you can get a Windows copy of SC and SCMDraft 2. Failing that, there's Unknown Edit, as previously mentioned, and its previous incarnation XEdit, which is a nifty if minimal and slow terrain editor implemented in Java.

If you're one of those people crazy enough to be running a Windows virtual machine on a pre-Intel Mac with an OSX version old enough to have Classic Environment support, there's StarFire Edit, if you can still find a copy (it's becoming harder to track down every day). The system requirements are pretty specific, since StarEdit runs in Classic, but the StarFire patching application runs under OSX. So if you don't have an early OSX version, StarFire won't do.

If you have either a newer Mac or a much older Mac, the next possibility is to try going very old with a pre-OSX modified StarEdit (i.e. Emerald Edit for Mac). You'll want to set up a Classic emulation system, since more recent OSX versions no longer come with Classic support: I use SheepShaver for that purpose. Put StarCraft's folder in SheepShaver's shared folder, and you can run SC under OSX and Emerald/StarEdit under OS9 through SheepShaver.

None.

Aug 14 2009, 8:16 am DevliN Post #5

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Aside from UnKnown Edit, your best bet is StarFire Edit. I originally had it in the DLDB, but I don't know if it is still there. I should check my Mac, hopefully I still have it.

Basically StarFire Edit is like the Mac version of X-tra Edit.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Aug 18 2009, 6:58 am Jack Post #6

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Starforge Ultimate, when it's released.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Aug 18 2009, 7:05 am Heimdal Post #7

Quote from name:zany_001
Starforge Ultimate, when it's released.
We'd love to have some mac users for the alpha test.

None.

Options
  Back to forum