Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Showcase > Topic: Deception of the Khalai
Deception of the Khalai
Aug 8 2009, 2:50 am
By: Pr0nogo  

Aug 8 2009, 2:50 am Pr0nogo Post #1

Released (partially) to the public since it was trashed in '07, Pr0nogo and [Ess_Tee_Eff_You] Productions proudly present the next campaign I will be completing and publishing: Deception of the Khalai.

This time around, I've taken pointers from previous excursions into campaign/map-making, and have decided to not only push the boundaries of mapping, but to push the boundaries of modding, as well (or at least try to :P)!

Screeny time!

From the first playable level:

Retcrail, Hunter-Killer Hydralisk-strain Zerg hero, plans to attack the Terrans preventing his escape.

The massive Battlecruiser Guardian IV, protecting the Terrans' Dampening Generator, is the only thing that stands between the Protoss and their escape.

From the second playable level:

Liiragin, Hunter-Killer Lurker-strain Zerg hero, is sent down with a small team of Protoss in search of data lost years ago on the once-glorious Auir.

The Protoss Temple, one of the last standing near-complete archives on Auir, holds wealths of information. Liiragin must get to it at all costs.

A little inside look at what the modified units' stats look like. Note the air attack (I didn't "forget" my iscripts THIS time!).

And finally, from the third playable level, which has yet to be released...

Stroluum, an underbrate (a creature with 75% the psionic capacity of a Cerebrate) Defiler-strain Zerg anti-hero, emerges from the bowels of Shakuras as one of the few surviving Zergs on the Dark Templar homeworld.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Table of Contents:

(1)Introduction.scx - Movie map, detailing the escape of the three Zerg heroes Dalvengar, Retcrail and Liiragin.

(2)Level 1.scx - Playable level, detailing the destruction of the Guardian IV, the Dampening Generator, and the escape of the Protoss and Zerg.

(3)Level 2.scx - Playable level, detailing the return to Auir and Liiragin's hunt for data long lost.

(4)Interlude 1.scx - Movie map, detailing the dark return of a mysterious and powerful Protoss.

Deception of the Khalai SEMPQ - Campaign mod, required to actually experience the levels. Running basic StarCraft will give you silly things like a Ragnasaur instead of Liiragin in (3)Level 2.scx and much more difficult missions accross the board, as well as poor-quality videos.

Note that the terrain is not final (nor is it my strong point), but any questions, comments or feedback is not only welcomed, but greatly appreciated, as I value all of your opinions here at our wonderful boards.

Thanks, and happy campaigning! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I see we already have some interest. Advertising FTW! :D

Post has been edited 6 time(s), last time on Aug 15 2009, 3:01 am by Pronogo.

Aug 8 2009, 3:20 am l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #2

Just here for the activity... well not really

Map revealers are ugly, share vision for the heroes.
Text is waaaaay too fast bro.
Lurker hero cannot be group selected (because you edited a critter), to fix this edit a different unit.

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Aug 8 2009, 3:25 am Pr0nogo Post #3

The Map Revealers aren't ugly. Do they give away half the map? No. Do they make you see anything I didn't mean for you to see?

No.

The text aint fast, "bro." Everyone else who's given me feedback read it fine. Be more helpful with "specifically, when this character said this it went too fast for me to see. Please make it slower. kthxbai."

Honestly, did you even play the maps in the 10 minutes you had to do it before you responded? I group-select Liiragin just fine.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Aug 8 2009, 3:59 am by DevliN. Reason: No need to be throwing insults.

Aug 8 2009, 3:39 am l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #4

Just here for the activity... well not really

Quote from name:Pronogo
The Map Revealers aren't ugly. Do they give away half the map? No. Do they make you see anything I didn't mean for you to see?

No.

The text aint fast, "bro." Maybe you should get ridda dem leaves in yer avvy before you start hallucinating. Everyone else who's given me feedback read it fine. Be more helpful with "specifically, when this character said this it went too fast for me to see. Please make it slower. kthxbai."

Honestly, did you even play the maps in the 10 minutes you had to do it before you responded? I group-select Liiragin just fine.
Shit, I wasn't trying to offend, map makers need to take criticism.

Okay, they don't reveal extra things, but they make it unrealistic. Honestly, that jailbreak would look much better with the vision from the heroes instead of a huge circle.

I don't know, I may be tired, but when I see two lines of speech on the screen at the same time I say it's fast, especially since they're saying more than one sentence.

I'm sorry, I have to disagree, I cannot group-select Liiragin. Maybe you're running a different patch of Starcraft or whatever but on 1.16.1 I can't.

Yes, I just peeked at each map, but what does it matter? I know they play well as challenges for a Melee player, but I'm just nitpicking the aesthetics and story. This is a campaign, not a Hard Mode with loose plot thrown in.

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Aug 8 2009, 3:50 am Pr0nogo Post #5

Quote from l)ark_ssj9kevin
Shit, I wasn't trying to offend, map makers need to take criticism.

Nor I you.

Okay, they don't reveal extra things, but they make it unrealistic. Honestly, that jailbreak would look much better with the vision from the heroes instead of a huge circle.

Ah, it's a realism issue. See, when I run the scripts the map fucks itself ass-side. All the units start moving around and the triggers just don't work. I'll see if I can make it work, but otherwise it'll have to stay as is.

I don't know, I may be tired, but when I see two lines of speech on the screen at the same time I say it's fast, especially since they're saying more than one sentence.

See, I still don't get this. I'm tired as fuck due to it being 11:43 where I live, but I can still see the text. I'll try to slow it down in later versions, but until then you can look in the map if you're having trouble. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I'm sorry, I have to disagree, I cannot group-select Liiragin. Maybe you're running a different patch of Starcraft or whatever but on 1.16.1 I can't.

Hrm, I'll have to check that. All else fails I'll just copy the modded Ragnasaur entry and paste it onto another unit, changing the trigger conditions/actions accordingly.

Yes, I just peeked at each map, but what does it matter? I know they play well as challenges for a Melee player, but I'm just nitpicking the aesthetics and story. This is a campaign, not a Hard Mode with loose plot thrown in.

If you peeked at the map, how do you know you can't read it? How do you know whether or not the story is good or bad? These things require you to PLAY the map or maps at hand, not just look at them in the editor or boot it up for three and a half seconds. I know that's what you did, but until you clarified, I assumed that you had done exactly that.

Again, for the unreadably text bit, what exactly was unreadable? The text stays there after the other characters talk...

Aug 8 2009, 4:00 am DevliN Post #6

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from name:Pronogo
Nor I you.
I disagree. Cool it guys.

EDIT:
I played the intro and started the first map. I couldn't get very far in the first map because the moment I started scouting in the bottom right corner (under the base), SC crashed.

I definitely agree that the map revealers aren't a great choice. Aside from there being giant circular spots of vision, there are also points when the three units are running down the hall and disappear entirely (due to lack of vision).

I think the text is a bit fast, and I feel like adding some color to it may make it easier to read.

In the intro map (and any time you want us to follow the heroes), you may want to have it so that we don't have to scroll around the map and instead have the screen follow them automatically.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 8 2009, 5:10 am by DevliN.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Aug 8 2009, 11:49 am Pr0nogo Post #7

Quote from DevliN
I played the intro and started the first map. I couldn't get very far in the first map because the moment I started scouting in the bottom right corner (under the base), SC crashed.

I definitely agree that the map revealers aren't a great choice. Aside from there being giant circular spots of vision, there are also points when the three units are running down the hall and disappear entirely (due to lack of vision).

One* instance where that happens. As I said the map screws itself over. The mod crashed, or SC crashed? If you were running the mod, did you attack with the Scouts' anti-air? I may have accidentally included an older version of the mod in where the Scouts' air attack is supposed to be orange (which crashes StarCraft).

Quote from DevliN
I think the text is a bit fast, and I feel like adding some color to it may make it easier to read.
The last time I had this campaign released, color was a reason everyone's eyes bled. Some pissing out over a bit of dark blue and orange. Nonetheless, I'll edit it and we'll see how it goes.

Quote from DevliN
In the intro map (and any time you want us to follow the heroes), you may want to have it so that we don't have to scroll around the map and instead have the screen follow them automatically.

Code
Player 3
Always
Center Location "Center View (Dalvengar)" on Dalvengar at "Anywhere"
Preserve Trigger

Player 3
Player 2 brings exactly 1 Dalvengar to "Center View (Dalvengar)"
Center view for current player on "Center View (Dalvengar)"
Preserve Trigger

Not word-for-word, but I know how to do it. I've done it before. I'll see if you get a major migrane from it... >.>

Ultimately, though, thanks for the feedback! Whether good or bad it gives me an idea as to how to make my product better.

Aug 8 2009, 12:01 pm DevliN Post #8

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

The eye bleeding colors may have been a bad choice of color. At one point I was reading white text over a relatively light background, and it was tough to see. Maybe use one of the greens?

And I think it was the Scout's anti-air attack that did it. SC crashed while I was running the Mod.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Aug 8 2009, 12:33 pm Pr0nogo Post #9

Aha! Pinpointed the problem. I didn't delete the images.dat file when I was supposed to.

Not only that, here's the updated maps with Liiragin as a Mercenary Gunship instead of a critter! Also, some character names have been added into the editor if you want to look at them (use SCMDraft to load up the .mpq, which I'll be including in the .rar file from now on to accompany the .exe).

(download replaced old one at bottom of OP)

Edit: This is just plain ugly.

..l.. Fucking FireGraft... I don't want to make people have to change their versions for this!

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 8 2009, 1:17 pm by Pronogo. Reason: MEIN EYES

Aug 8 2009, 3:33 pm Pr0nogo Post #10

Aight, updaet people.

After a few minutes, I've enhanced the difficulty of the second level, fixed up the trigs in said level, and made Liiragin a LOT less ugly (replaced Raszagal because I knew I wasn't going to use her later on).

Updated version located on the OP.

Aug 15 2009, 3:02 am Pr0nogo Post #11

Update!

-Liiragin is now a Hero Dark Templar, and the Hero Corsair has been translated into another Hero Dark Templar.
-Both playable levels have been updated; now they're really hard! :P
-Psionic Storm got a lot cooler and does a bit more damage.
-Liiragin's anti-air attack has been buffed from 18 to 19 and the cooldown has been reduced by 1.
-High Templar's attack has been buffed from 5 to 8.
-High Templars and Defilers are now detectors.
-The Guardian IV is now a detector to prevent Dark Templar from killing off the Dampening Generator without being detected.

There's some stuff either too tedious or too negligible to write down. Regardless, have fun with the new update!

The next mission should be done if I can get past a particularly troublesome trigger.... Check back for more updates in the near future!

Aug 15 2009, 3:04 am Biophysicist Post #12

-High Templars and Defilers are now detectors.
I dislike this immensely. Observers and Overlords exist for a reason.

None.

Aug 15 2009, 3:34 am Pr0nogo Post #13

Quote from TZ
I dislike this immensely. Observers and Overlords exist for a reason.

Yeah, but since you don't have access to air units in the 2nd level there's a reason I put High Templars in. Liiragin is a detector, but do you really want your hero unit at risk the entire mission?

Jul 5 2015, 4:47 pm Rawflesh0615 Post #14

Can you reuploaded this campaign? Because I cant find the download somewhere.

None.

Options
  Back to forum