Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Melee Map Projects > Topic: (2)Tempus River
(2)Tempus River
Jun 30 2009, 11:07 pm
By: Lord_Jeremy  

Jun 30 2009, 11:07 pm Lord_Jeremy Post #1

Hey again. I had a bunch of fun going 1v1 with my friends on this map, they liked it a lot. I made it in computers class, when I brought StarCraft in on a flash drive. Good times... Again I'm not sure how you guys make images out of maps so no preview :(

Download Link

None.

Jun 30 2009, 11:17 pm Excalibur Post #2

The sword and the faith

Open in SCMDraft, file, save image, resize and resave as JPEG in your favorite image program.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Jul 1 2009, 1:08 pm Excalibur Post #3

The sword and the faith

I shouldn't have to make an image for you. I'm going to make images required here just as they are in UMS.

First of all, it is painfully obvious you did not:
A. Read the guide or the read before posting pins.
B. Put more then minimal effort into the making of this map.

You've violated the following points in a pinned topic:
1. Is this map balanced?
-There is a guide posted in this section to guide you on how to balance a map. It explains the strengths and weaknesses of each race and the conditions a map may have to help or hurt them. If you aren't going to take the time to help yourself to the information already available to you, people are going to be disinclined to help you themselves.

3. Is the map properly decorated?
-No one wants to play a bland looking map. Doodads are a must. The ISOM tool is your friend, not just for making cliffs, but for making the map look pretty.

4. IMPORTANT: Does my map have a concept, and is it worth playing?
-One of THE most important parts of a map is the concept. Nobody wants to play a standard main->nat->minonly->3rd gas->island anymore. Blocking minerals, extended ramps, pre-placed building sprites, anything that makes your map INTERESTING. Now it is hard to balance these interesting aspects, but that is part of making a good melee. Sometimes you have to be experimental in your concepts, even if it affects the balance negatively. This isn't to say that you should make a totally imba map with a weird experimental concept, because that's just silly. Another part of balance, is incorporating these elements positively.

5. MINERAL FORMATIONS AND 'THE GAS ISSUE'
Mineral formations are very important to game play. No one wants their minerals placed in a way that has workers scrambling around the back of them trying to get at a blocked field. And no one wants fields to be further away than they have to be.
It is there for a reason: So you do not post maps that no one wants to look at.

The mineral formations and amounts are improper, the mining would be inefficient and annoying.
Example of good mineral formations:

Amounts:
Quote from The guide that you did not read
8. How many mineral fields and geysers do I place?
Standard format:
Main Base: One geyser, 7-10 Mineral fields (If Natural has no gas, consider a two gas main)
Natural: Always one geyser unless making a close separate gas only expansion (or a double gas main), 7-8 mineral fields
Mineral only: 6-7 mineral Fields
Gas Only: Always one geyser
Other expansions (Like Islands): One geyser, 7-8 minerals

The map also has no natural, two totally open ways into the base (A no-no.), incredibly long main to main distances, Tankspots, outdated gas-only expos, and mediocre decoration. There is no concept to speak of, no layout, just random mistakes all over the map. And I now realize you didn't even use SCMDraft's symmetry tool. I don't think there is anything else you could have done wrong if you tried.

Please please please please read the two pinned topics and do not post maps of this insanely substandard quality.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 1 2009, 1:29 pm by Excalibur.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Jul 1 2009, 4:05 pm Lord_Jeremy Post #4

You know, I actually did read the pinned topics. I didn't post a picture because I use a Mac for mapping and I've never heard of any Mac tools for making pictures. I thank you for posting pictures for me. It seems you have a lot of time on your hands for you found the time to not only make the pics but go through the effort of posting a nice long insult to my creative ability. I'm sorry my maps don't meet your standards of suitable melee gaming, though my friends and I have never had any problem with them. I'm glad I only posted a couple of my maps here to test the waters first, as you people are obviously quite inhospitable to anything that doesn't follow the same old tried and true and frankly boring formula. I mean really... I started with a small map area to make the game pass rather quickly, so my friends and I could more easily have 1v1 tournaments. I put only a few mineral fields at the primary base to force players to expand as soon as possible. Regarding a concept, you're right. No one wants to play the standard main->nat->minonly->whatever crap. That's why I tried to change around from the "standard" format. It's interesting how you've contradicted yourself in the sense that on one hand you've yelled at me from deviating from the standard and on the other you're saying it's not standard enough. I'm asking now, wtf is wrong with two ways into the base? I've played plenty of maps that have this feature as it adds a challenge to the defense and discourages mounds of static defenses. You're right again, I did not use SCMDraft's symmetry tool. Here's a shocker for you, I didn't even use SCMDraft. Hah! I mean come one, who uses plain old StarEdit anymore? Yep, I do. Because I do all my mapping on an old Mac running OS 9, since that's the only system I have that can run StarEdit anymore. Oh yeah, if I remember correctly I actually did this map in computers class. In fact this particular map was made in StarEdit running under Wine running under Linux running inside a virtual machine. Again, thank you for crushing my creative spirit. I may post more "crap" for your enjoyment, just to spite you. As I finish writing this, I suppose I overreacted to your post a little but in my opinion your final words were just unwarranted. I assure you, I could make a much worse map if I tried.

None.

Jul 1 2009, 4:57 pm Excalibur Post #5

The sword and the faith

Quote from Lord_Jeremy
didn't post a picture because I use a Mac for mapping and I've never heard of any Mac tools for making pictures.
I believe there are but I don't know them off hand either.

Quote from Lord_Jeremy
It seems you have a lot of time on your hands for you found the time to not only make the pics but go through the effort of posting a nice long insult to my creative ability.
There are no insults there. There are facts, some may be stated very bluntly, but no personal attacks.

Quote from Lord_Jeremy
I'm sorry my maps don't meet your standards of suitable melee gaming, though my friends and I have never had any problem with them.
My standards? I didn't make Starcraft or it's balance structure. I didn't control what melee mapping has evolved into today. These aren't my standards, in fact, SEN's melee section has some of the lowest melee standards anywhere. Try going to BWMN or TL.net.

Quote from Lord_Jeremy
I'm glad I only posted a couple of my maps here to test the waters first, as you people are obviously quite inhospitable to anything that doesn't follow the same old tried and true and frankly boring formula.
Right. Because today's maps are SO boring.
http://www.panschk.de/mappage/comments.php?mapid=3545
http://www.panschk.de/mappage/comments.php?mapid=3705
http://www.panschk.de/mappage/comments.php?mapid=3451
I could go on for 300 pages.

Quote from Lord_Jeremy
I mean really... I started with a small map area to make the game pass rather quickly, so my friends and I could more easily have 1v1 tournaments.
Did you also realize that immediately put Terran at an extreme advantage?

Quote from Lord_Jeremy
I put only a few mineral fields at the primary base to force players to expand as soon as possible.
Do you again see how imbalancing that is?

Quote from Lord_Jeremy
Regarding a concept, you're right. No one wants to play the standard main->nat->minonly->whatever crap.
Sure that's why there are pro leauges and tons of games played on the melee setting on Bnet on pro leauge maps every single day. That's why ICCUP is flourishing. Come off it. You have no idea what you're talking about and you know it.

Quote from Lord_Jeremy
That's why I tried to change around from the "standard" format.
Try BWMN's experimental maps. They manage to incorporate new elements properly while still retaining balance. Something you failed to do.
http://www.panschk.de/mappage/comments.php?mapid=3519 Experimental map that redefines the resource structuring.
http://www.panschk.de/mappage/comments.php?mapid=3705 Posted above, dswarms have a huge effect on this map's gameplay.

Quote from Lord_Jeremy
It's interesting how you've contradicted yourself in the sense that on one hand you've yelled at me from deviating from the standard and on the other you're saying it's not standard enough.
I'm saying it isn't balanced enough to be playable nor does it have a concept to try and balance. You misunderstood me: Balance must be retained while adding experimental elements or features.

Quote from Lord_Jeremy
I'm asking now, wtf is wrong with two ways into the base?
Impossible for Z early game.

Quote from Lord_Jeremy
I've played plenty of maps that have this feature as it adds a challenge to the defense and discourages mounds of static defenses
Blizzard maps I assume which are NOT balanced. I defy you to show me a pro league map in the past 2 years that has two totally open ramps. Oh and I forgot to mention the mains are too small.

Quote from Lord_Jeremy
You're right again, I did not use SCMDraft's symmetry tool. Here's a shocker for you, I didn't even use SCMDraft. Hah! I mean come one, who uses plain old StarEdit anymore? Yep, I do. Because I do all my mapping on an old Mac running OS 9, since that's the only system I have that can run StarEdit anymore. Oh yeah, if I remember correctly I actually did this map in computers class. In fact this particular map was made in StarEdit running under Wine running under Linux running inside a virtual machine. Again, thank you for crushing my creative spirit.
I did not know you did not have such tools available. I strongly suggest you get access to said tools if you ever plan to make a balanced map.

Quote from Lord_Jeremy
I may post more "crap" for your enjoyment, just to spite you.
I never called your work crap and if you are going to post anything to intentionally provoke anyone, that is against the rules. I hope you've read them carefully.

Quote from Lord_Jeremy
As I finish writing this, I suppose I overreacted to your post a little but in my opinion your final words were just unwarranted. I assure you, I could make a much worse map if I tried.
I'd like to see that.

You entirely over reacted and entirely misunderstood me, the guide, and what this section is for. It is for people attempting to make a balanced map, with a concept, however standard or experimental it may be, and for them to get feedback to improve it. Neither of these maps have a concept, they cannot be improved. If you are not going to put effort into your maps, you might as well be spamming blank 128x128s with 2 start locations.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Jul 17 2009, 7:57 am Moon)SHieLD( Post #6

yes, being blunt is different than being rude. a wise man would know the difference.

None.

Jul 17 2009, 8:45 am Excalibur Post #7

The sword and the faith

Quote from Moon)SHieLD(
yes, being blunt is different than being rude. a wise man would know the difference.
This is a bit of a grave dig, 16 days ago.

If you have a complaint about my post, the report function is there for a reason.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Options
  Back to forum