Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: iPod + Washing Machine
iPod + Washing Machine
Jun 15 2009, 2:11 am
By: Vi3t-X  

Jun 16 2009, 4:23 am Syphon Post #21

@Farty water isn't conductive at all. It's an insulator.

OH- and H+ ions are conductive.

None.

Jun 16 2009, 8:19 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #22

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from Syphon

How does it destroy electronics then? Were it not conductive at all, then getting electronics wet would do nothing.
Dissolving things in water makes it more conductive. I'm sure that a washing machine isn't full of distilled water that will always be distilled water. Distilled water is very slightly conductive, too.
Any ion is conductive.
Quote from Pure">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_(properties)#Electrical_conductivity]Pure water containing no ions is an excellent insulator, but not even "deionized" water is completely free of ions. Water undergoes auto-ionisation in the liquid state. Further, because water is such a good solvent, it almost always has some solute dissolved in it, most frequently a salt. If water has even a tiny amount of such an impurity, then it can conduct electricity readily, as impurities such as salt separate into free ions in aqueous solution by which an electric current can flow.

EDIT:
Ok, so using a beaker of water that would be in my washing machine (minus soap and anything that happened to be on any clothing) I put two leads into the beaker that connect to a battery and LED. I took a bunch of pictures because it is hard to show an LED is on in a lit room + camera flash ...

Here is the set up. Because of lit room + flash you can't see it is on very well...
In this fuzzy out-take you can see that it is very on.
Blocking the flash, here shows the LED is on.

Not conductive at all, huh? Hooray for experimental evidence!

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on Jun 16 2009, 9:26 pm by FaRTy1billion.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Jun 16 2009, 9:29 pm EzDay281 Post #23

@Farty water isn't conductive at all.
*ctrl+fs "conduct"*
*finds nothing earlier than your post*
wut

EDIT:
Ok, so using a beaker of water that would be in my washing machine [...]
I lold.

How do people get stuff in the washing machine so often? I've never had that problem. >.>

None.

Jun 16 2009, 9:31 pm Syphon Post #24

Quote from EzDay281
@Farty water isn't conductive at all.
*ctrl+fs "conduct"*
*finds nothing earlier than your post*
wut

EDIT:
Ok, so using a beaker of water that would be in my washing machine [...]
I lold.

How do people get stuff in the washing machine so often? I've never had that problem. >.>

http://www.staredit.net/156611/

None.

Jun 16 2009, 9:34 pm Syphon Post #25

Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
Quote from Syphon

How does it destroy electronics then? Were it not conductive at all, then getting electronics wet would do nothing.
Dissolving things in water makes it more conductive. I'm sure that a washing machine isn't full of distilled water that will always be distilled water. Distilled water is very slightly conductive, too.
Any ion is conductive.
Quote from Pure">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_(properties)#Electrical_conductivity]Pure water containing no ions is an excellent insulator, but not even "deionized" water is completely free of ions. Water undergoes auto-ionisation in the liquid state. Further, because water is such a good solvent, it almost always has some solute dissolved in it, most frequently a salt. If water has even a tiny amount of such an impurity, then it can conduct electricity readily, as impurities such as salt separate into free ions in aqueous solution by which an electric current can flow.

EDIT:
Ok, so using a beaker of water that would be in my washing machine (minus soap and anything that happened to be on any clothing) I put two leads into the beaker that connect to a battery and LED. I took a bunch of pictures because it is hard to show an LED is on in a lit room + camera flash ...

Here is the set up. Because of lit room + flash you can't see it is on very well...
In this fuzzy out-take you can see that it is very on.
Blocking the flash, here shows the LED is on.

Not conductive at all, huh? Hooray for experimental evidence!

That's not the water conducting electricity. It's things in the water.

None.

Jun 16 2009, 9:36 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #26

👻 👾 👽 💪

For the sake of the topic, water being conductive is true. Technically it's not, but that is more details than necessary.. we don't care about the atomic scale here. We care about water + electronic = oh noez.

EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Jun 16 2009, 9:36 pm EzDay281 Post #27

Every week, I find that my searching abilities have achieved a new tier of failure. D:

None.

Jun 16 2009, 9:38 pm Forsaken Archer Post #28

I accidentally washed my ipod nano (and headphones) a few months back. Despite knowing better, I immediately tried to turn it on to find the battery dead. Plugged it in and the backlight would only flicker on briefly. I set it infront of a fan and the light started working fully after 2 days. I was impressed.

And not conductive, eh... That's why you shouldn't be in water during a lightning storm.

None.

Jun 16 2009, 10:07 pm Moose Post #29

We live in a society.

Quote from name:isolatedpurity
And not conductive, eh... That's why you shouldn't be in water during a lightning storm.
Pure water free of ions, solutes, and any other impurities (distilled water) almost* does not conduct electricity. This is not the water that falls from the sky during precipitation, nor do you use it in your washing machine. (and therefore is merely an insignificant technicality for the purposes of this topic)

*The technicality to Syphon's technicality is that everything conducts electricity given a high enough voltage. (or at high enough temperatures) There is no "non-conducting" substance, not even pure water or a vacuum. :P
However, I doubt that an iPod's battery is outputting such voltages. (If temperature were a factor, you would be more concerned with your iPod's melting and vaporization (or other heat-triggered chemical reaction) than a short circuit.)

Post has been edited 8 time(s), last time on Jun 16 2009, 10:27 pm by Mini Moose 2707.

Jun 16 2009, 10:22 pm r00k Post #30

wow lmao

None.

Jun 16 2009, 11:36 pm Hug A Zergling Post #31

Warranty? What's it like? You could say "it just started doing this one day" and return it.

None.

Jun 17 2009, 10:00 am BeDazed Post #32

It's time you told that to your mother and get a Touch instead.

None.

Jun 20 2009, 2:31 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #33

👻 👾 👽 💪

Touches are way too expensive. ;o They have very little space. >.>

Jun 20 2009, 1:22 pm BeDazed Post #34

Yes and yes. But it also comes with portable internet, mail, youtube, tons of games, and lots of useful utilities. Or you could also get an Iphone.

None.

Jun 21 2009, 5:43 pm TriggR_HappE Post #35

Touches are a waste of money. Expensive, little memory, and most of the good features like internet and youtube require a wireless hotspot, in which you might as well just use a computer. iphones however are pretty much the best things ever.

None.

Options
  Back to forum