2d 10

25%
Graphics are irrelevant 17

42%
No opinion/Other/I suck 3

8%
None.
Please login to vote.
Poll has 41 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Jun 7 2009, 1:07 pm BeDazed Post #41

The fact of the matter is that the question was your own opinion or preference as to which is you like more.
And also at the same time trying to prove 2D beats 3D anyday? I don't think so.

None.

Jun 7 2009, 4:22 pm Hug A Zergling Post #42

Heres a good example. The game that this site is based upon...is 2D.

None.

Jun 7 2009, 7:11 pm Sauceover Post #43

so if sc1 was originally made in 3d, it would have been a piece of crap?

None.

Jun 7 2009, 9:11 pm Hug A Zergling Post #44

Quote from Sauceover
No, but just because it's 2D doesn't make any less of a game.

None.

Jun 7 2009, 10:50 pm ClansAreForGays Post #45

Quote from Sauceover
Yes. Case in point - http://pc.ign.com/objects/003/003134.html

Jun 8 2009, 2:03 am ShadowFlare Post #46

Quote from Sauceover
If it was using the 3d graphics technology of the time, then maybe as far as graphics.

None.

Jun 8 2009, 2:48 am Falkoner Post #47

I think that neither wins, Corbo is completely right that each is good for different things, just because 3D contains 2D does not make it better, just because Windows ME contains Windows 98 does not make it better, and the same concept goes for graphics.

Designing/programming aside, different types of games are better in either 2D or 3D, because it truly effects how you play the game, some games are going for simplicity, and adding a third dimension just adds that much more confusion to the game, when it could be simpler. And some games require 3D in order to perform all the functions and ideas that the creators want. In general, I would say 3D wins, however, it does not beat 2D games outright, each one has its own specialty.

None.

Jun 8 2009, 3:59 am Centreri Post #48

Relatively ancient and inactive

3D contains 2D, so it inherits all the positive aspects of 2D. So, unless you're saying 3D has no positive aspects (as negative aspects can be ignored and not used, being optional), my logic is sound in that 3D is inherently better than 2D. Falk, I thought you were a programmer, you should know this! It's not being argued the way Sayoka wants this to be argued, but it's a valid and correct argument all the same. And this conversation/argument itself is pretty stupid; but, I've already said something about that.

None.

Jun 8 2009, 5:32 am Sauceover Post #49

Quote from Falkoner
Designing/programming aside, different types of games are better in either 2D or 3D, because it truly effects how you play the game, some games are going for simplicity, and adding a third dimension just adds that much more confusion to the game, when it could be simpler. And some games require 3D in order to perform all the functions and ideas that the creators want. In general, I would say 3D wins, however, it does not beat 2D games outright, each one has its own specialty.

thats probably the best statement i've seen on this subject, lol.

None.

Jun 8 2009, 6:16 am ShadowFlare Post #50

Because a game like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, for example, contains some 3d backgrounds in some locations, would you call it a 3d game? No, it is still called a 2d game because the graphics are primarily 2d.

Also, saying 3d is better because it also contains 2d and can do all the same things is going into implementation details, which are irrelevant to the discussion. Displaying 2d graphics using 3d graphics methods does not make it 3d graphics. For example, Windows Vista displays the desktop and windows using 3d graphics methods, but for the most part it isn't 3d. IIRC, it also emulates DirectDraw by using Direct3d to draw the graphics as a texture on a surface. Modern video player programs often use these kinds of 3d graphics methods to display the videos they play as well. None of these are considered 3d graphics even though they use 3d graphics to display the output.

None.

Jun 13 2009, 4:03 am Falkoner Post #51

3D contains 2D, so it inherits all the positive aspects of 2D. So, unless you're saying 3D has no positive aspects (as negative aspects can be ignored and not used, being optional), my logic is sound in that 3D is inherently better than 2D. Falk, I thought you were a programmer, you should know this! It's not being argued the way Sayoka wants this to be argued, but it's a valid and correct argument all the same. And this conversation/argument itself is pretty stupid; but, I've already said something about that.

Centreri, the same thing and more is not always better, hence the derogatory use of the term "bloatware". The main reason for using 2D in the past was computer limitations, although they are not as common today as they were, they are still there, which provides a reason to simplify. However, even if you are running on a supercomputer, there is always the limitations of the human mind, when you throw too much at someone at once, it ends up making a situation worse than if you had simplified and provided less "features".

None.

Jun 17 2009, 5:07 pm New-Guy Post #52

I prefer 2d myself. Although, there are some great 3d games out there.
Even still, most 2d games I've played are, in general, more "in depth" with the characters and story than the 3d games. I suspect this is because most gaming companies are in the middle of a "graphics war", each trying to produce better than the others, and sometimes (not always) leaving out other aspects of the game.
For example, I looked at a game called Fracture recently. I saw nothing about the actual story-line while looking at the case. Everything visible was focused on the graphics and the new aspects of what you could do using the more powerful gaming systems.

Then, if you look back a past, more simpler games, you can find games that can last.
For instance, Paper Mario. I loved this game. I still do. You can't get any more 2d than paper characters on a paper back ground.

None.

Jun 17 2009, 10:29 pm Riney Post #53

Thigh high affectionado

Quote from ShadowFlare
Because a game like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, for example, contains some 3d backgrounds in some locations, would you call it a 3d game? No, it is still called a 2d game because the graphics are primarily 2d.

Hell yes

Besides, a computer monitor is 2d, so all of your "3d" is still being shown to you on a 2d monitor, its still just a light trick the same way its been all the time, it just has a rotating camera.

So that makes you wonder, Why do we call it 2D vs 3D, its No Camera or Camera.

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Jun 18 2009, 1:55 am EzDay281 Post #54

So that makes you wonder, Why do we call it 2D vs 3D, its No Camera or Camera.
There's a "camera", either way. You notice how you see stuff in 2d games, too? :P
The difference is that in a 3D game, you can't say "This object is at 235x637" (or atleast, you're not saying much if you do) ; you have to say "This object is at 235x637x529".
Or maybe, "This vertex is at 235x637x529", for games which use 3D graphics, but not 3D gameplay, which is relevant to how the game's rendered.
Or else the graphics were 3D renders exported as sprites, in which case the game derives its graphics from 3-dimensional objects.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 18 2009, 3:46 am by EzDay281.

None.

Jun 18 2009, 2:24 am FlyingHat Post #55

If there was no "camera" in 2D games, you wouldn't be able to see the graphics at all. Isn't that common sense?

None.

Jun 18 2009, 3:35 pm Riney Post #56

Thigh high affectionado

Quote from FlyingHat
If there was no "camera" in 2D games, you wouldn't be able to see the graphics at all. Isn't that common sense?

Ok I messed that up

Moveable camera vs Fixed Camera

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

Jun 18 2009, 5:54 pm EzDay281 Post #57

Ok I messed that up

Moveable camera vs Fixed Camera
Ignoring the fact that the camera in 2D games still "moves", I'm going to guess that you mean rotating/tumbling camera vs. non-rotating/tumbling camera.
In 2D games, the camera can't tumble/rotate. And if it can dolly, then even that's different, as 2D games cannot involve perspective.

None.

Jun 18 2009, 10:05 pm UnholyUrine Post #58

Graphics are irrelevant.

Starcraft being a prime example.

None.

Jun 19 2009, 4:30 am Riney Post #59

Thigh high affectionado

Quote from EzDay281
...as 2D games cannot involve perspective.

Diablo 2

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

Jun 19 2009, 4:49 am FlyingHat Post #60

Diablo 2 is a 3D game

Edit: oh wait no, it's a very clever 2D game.
It's two-dimensional with the illusion of three, regardless of aiming or other such appearances. When you're walking up the steps in Harrogoth, you're actually just walking on a plain surface that is drawn to look like steps. This is why the perspective option in the video menu was made, though each tile is separated from the others (trees appear to sway when walking away from them with 3DP active).

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum