Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Showcase > Topic: System Strike [LW]
System Strike [LW]
May 23 2009, 6:47 pm
By: m.0.n.3.y  

May 23 2009, 6:47 pm m.0.n.3.y Post #1

System Strike [LW]

Ok so, the best description for this map that I can think of is Desert Strike. In Desert Strike, you build buildings that represent different units, when the timer hits 0 and it is your turn to spawn, based on the buildings you have, you will create units for your complementary computer player.

Basic Idea

Now, for this game, it's the same basic idea, except for that you Lift Off buildings to create units! For example, if you lift off a barracks, you will create 5 marines. If you lift off a barracks and you also have an academy, you will create 5 marines, 1 firebat, 1 medic. 2 academies and a barracks = 5 marines, 2 firebats, 2 medics, etc. etc. etc. The point of the game is to kill your opponents "Final Base", but to get to that you will have to go through 2 Spawn Encampments.

Spawning Units

NOTE: Lifting off buildings only creates the units once, not continually, so you must keep rebuilding your buildings and lifting off to create units: So, once you create units, the units are transported to your unit waiting area, where they wait until the timer hits 0 and then they move to the battlefield. Everyone on your team spawns at the same time. So to be victorious, your team must lift buildings at the same time, to create a bigger army at the waiting area, and when the timer hits 0, they will be transported to the battlefield, ready to fight.

Getting Resources

Everything is built using minerals, so there is no need to mine gas. In your base, you start out with 3 Engineers (SCVs) who you will use to mine minerals (stacked of course). However, 3 Engineers (SCVs) won't get you very far very quickly, so in order to get more Engineers (SCVs), you with have to build Mines (Refinerys). In your base there are also 3 geysers to build on, which translates into 3 possible Mines (Refinerys) and many more Engineers. However, once you build a Mine, there is a cool down time before you can start building more Engineers and start mining again.
The cool down times and Engineer numbers go as follows:
0 Mines = 3 Engineers
1 Mine = 5 Engineers with a Cool Down of 40 Seconds
2 Mines = 8 Engineers with a Cool Down of 80 Seconds
3 Mines = 13 Engineers with a Cool Down of 160 Seconds

More in Depth

What Buildings create What Units

Screen Shots

The Pre-Game lobby

Tutorials are there if you need them ;o

This is how you get units and stuff, by lifting off buildings

This is a small portion of the "waiting area", when the timer hits 0, the units will be moved to the battlefield

Small rine battle RAWR!

Bunkers FTW

hehehe, we killed one of their spawn encampments ;o

GIMME ALL THE LOOT! ;P

Upgradin our spawn like a G

Using saving grace to own all them fools

This is what happens when you build more refinerys

A loot at their base after their spawn encampment died, GET THE DAMN LOOT!

Btw, I just upgraded some stuff, so if you dl'd the first beta version, you should dl this one cause there were ai problems in the other one... (i think only 1 person dl'd anyways but yeah)

-$

Attachments:
System Strike [LW] Beta.scx
Hits: 20 Size: 96.31kb

Post has been edited 5 time(s), last time on May 24 2009, 11:05 pm by m.0.n.3.y.

None.

May 26 2009, 1:48 am New-Guy Post #2

This looks like a pretty fun game.
One problem you might have is it's similarities to Desert Strike. Lot's of people might call this a rip-off or the like.

None.

May 26 2009, 9:55 pm moon-boy Post #3

I agree with the above statement here, it is pretty similar to desert strike, but idk :bleh: you said it was inspired by it so i gguess its ok. But I did find some problems with this here mapa:
1. The cool down times for the scvs when you build a refinery seem a little rough, like a long time
2. again with the scvs,GLITCH: sometimes, usually on a 3v3 game when you build say your 2nd or 3rd refinery, not all of your scvs move to the waiting place, and then the ones that stay can't move, but they begin mining ghost minerals and you get mins, it's actually pretty cool lol :D
3. sometimes the tanks ai can be a chore, and they just go to some random corner and start seigeing and dont move for the rest of the game.
4. and idk about the saving grace being random and stuff...it might be a turn off for some players because it's not all based on skill and everything...

anyways, good map overall, i like it

None.

May 26 2009, 10:18 pm m.0.n.3.y Post #4

New Guy, yeah that's one of the things, since this was inspired by Desert Strike, people either like it better than D. Strike or they like D. strike better. But is it in no means a rip-off of the game, it is an entirely new game in itself with many different features and a whole lot of strategies. But dw, it's not just a crap map, I would recommend trying it because it really is a map of its own. :cheers:

moon-boy,
1. yeah although the cool down times may be a little long at first, you get used to it, and it's necessary to gameplay so that people don't just gas up right away and get full SCVS.

2. All of the problems that you noted in 2-3 have been noticed and are currently being worked on. The ghost mins should be an easy fix because i think i know what's causing it and the tank Ai i can fix as well. But remember it's only BETA, so keep finding these things so i can fix um, :thumbup:

4. Um yeah, from all the games i've played people aren't too sure about the random things, such as the Random Unit thing and how saving grace is random, because it takes skill out of it...So the random unit thing I'll probably take out, but I don't know what to put in it's place...any ideas? And the saving grace, I'm going to make it so each person can only use it three times, and I still might keep it random, but change it so the chances are say, 95% succesion rate for the person who casts it.

So yeah that's basically it, I've got to get to work with school and stuff, but I'll be working on a Beta 2.0 very soon and then hopefully a Final, soon after. Ty for your words guys.

-$

None.

May 27 2009, 12:37 am iS_Cereal Post #5

First off money. I absolutely LOVE THIS GAME! I really don't care if people say that it's a "rip-off" of Desert Strike. To me it seems like a completely different and unique game and I just love playing it. Just like others have said though the wait time it takes to calibrate seems just a tad too long and I'm sure you've already fixed it or are going to fix it soon. Other than that I really can't think of/remember ( :P ) anything else that was really that bad about the game. I'd recommend people to play it! Keep up the good work I'm looking forward to it!!

None.

May 27 2009, 1:57 am New-Guy Post #6

Okay, so I played this game several times today.
One thing I noticed was, as player one, I couldn't seem to spawn Goliaths. I don't know why. I could create tanks still, but no goliaths or vultures.

None.

May 27 2009, 9:33 pm m.0.n.3.y Post #7

Haha, thanks Cereal for your positive feed back, it's always nice to hear people like your map :clap: And yeah, like i've said, some people are not too happy about the calibration times on the mines, but I feel that they need to be that length to keep the gameplay as solid as it is right now. However, I just may decrease them by a little but, but if I do, I'll have to make them cost a little more, like say 505 ore instead of 405 :shifty:

@New-Guy, yeah um, I'm really not sure why that happened to you...you might have just been looking in the wrong spot or something, because everything should spawn perfectly, infact, I've never seen it mess up so far in this stage of the game...;o. Hmm, but I'll look into it, but to help me, Which player # where you? Or if you don't remember, do you remember what color your were? If you do please tell me because that can help me narrow it down.

Anyways, thanks for the comments guys, stay classy and party hard :drunk: <---- lol

-$

None.

May 29 2009, 3:09 am New-Guy Post #8

Quote from New-Guy
...as player one...

None.

May 30 2009, 7:32 am Norm Post #9

Your interface confused the shit out of me and the tutorials had so much text that i forgot what they said. Pretty cool shit tho.

None.

Jun 2 2009, 11:14 pm m.0.n.3.y Post #10

Quote from Norm
Your interface confused the shit out of me and the tutorials had so much text that i forgot what they said. Pretty cool shit tho.
I'll try to fix that, but it's just about as simple as it can be...

Okay, so I played this game several times today.
One thing I noticed was, as player one, I couldn't seem to spawn Goliaths. I don't know why. I could create tanks still, but no goliaths or vultures.

I noticed that when you have 2-4 supply depots and you try to lift a factory it doesn't work...but if you have only 1, or more than 4, it works fine...Also tanks only work if you build the add on when you have 2-4 supply depots.

And as for this glitch...I am totally stunned by that one. Because everytime I've played, I've never seen that happen unitl just a couple of weeks ago. I'll look deeper but I'm not really sure wtf is going on. I'm thinking maybe the map got corrupted or something...

None.

Apr 19 2017, 3:34 am m.0.n.3.y Post #11

Bump. Ok this was one my favorites. Seriously check it out :D

None.

Options
  Back to forum