Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Viet's Building A Compy
Viet's Building A Compy
May 19 2009, 2:42 am
By: Vi3t-X
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4

Feb 1 2010, 11:13 pm Excalibur Post #61

The sword and the faith

$832.92 before S&H, however I leave you to pick out your own Mouse/Keyboard/Speakers/Monitor. I feel that leaves enough room for you to get whatever else you need.

Tower: Rosewill copy of the CM RC 590 The RC 590 is the less hardcore version of my case, the RC 690. Multiple companies have copied the 590 design. It doesn't really matter which you buy from, its all the same shit. Rosewill's is nice and cheap.
HDD: WD Caviar Black 500GB The WD Caviar Blacks are all reliable. Get 2 if you want, either for more storage or RAID. They out class most of the early shitty SSDs too.
GPU: HD 5770, made by Sapphire. Great card, OCs high. DX11.
CPU: i5-750 entry level i5, you didn't have enough $ to go i7.
PSU: Antec 550w. Antec: Shitty cases, great PSUs. Good amount of power, will last a long time.
Optical: Sony DVD and CD burner. Generic and not much to say. SATA rather than IDE so no nasty ribbon cables.
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL9 Since you probably won't be running them at full speed, you can tighten the timings if need be. Still, CL9 isn't bad. It's my honest opinion that no matter what frequency or timings you run them at, you won't see a noticeable difference.
Motherboard: Gigabyte P55 Not much to say. A quality board by a quality brand. Has everything you need.
Sound Card: Onboard.
Fans: Stock for CPU, fans included in case.
Cooling: See above.
Extras: None.
S&H+Taxes: I don't have your postal code, nor would I know what a generic CA postal code is, I'm American. :P

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Feb 2 2010, 12:26 am Vi3t-X Post #62

Need to cut down Tower and everything inside it by $100 to save room for monitor and essential accessories.
Also willing to pay a little extra for a nicer looking case. :P

None.

Feb 2 2010, 10:01 am Excalibur Post #63

The sword and the faith

Got it down to 770$. You are not going to be able to go i5 at any less of a price, and since 775 is dead, you'll have to go AMD. So pick your poison if this won't do.

Tower: This or this Both are the same price and are the only things cheaper than the Rosewill that have good cooling. Reason that I'm not looking at a more expensive/better case, is because you NEED your price lower you just WANT a 'better' looking case. But because you've already admitted to liking Antec cases in the past, you've shown you have no idea what a good case is. Besides, you're Viet, you should like ricer looking cases.
HDD: WD Caviar Black 500GB The WD Caviar Blacks are all reliable. Get 2 if you want, either for more storage or RAID. They out class most of the early shitty SSDs too.
GPU: HD 5750, bumped you down a notch. However, both the 5750 and 5770 overclock like monsters. Its only a difference of 60 stream processors, which isn't much considering they have 720/800.
CPU: i5-750 entry level i5, you didn't have enough $ to go i7.
PSU: Antec 550w. Antec: Shitty cases, great PSUs. Good amount of power, will last a long time.
Optical: Sony DVD and CD burner. Generic and not much to say. SATA rather than IDE so no nasty ribbon cables.
RAM: OCZ Gold 2x2GB DDR3 1066 CL7 Again, DDR3 doesn't require high frequencies. I have a triple channel Gold kit, and they run just fine. You can probably get higher freqs with more voltage or looser timings. Again, it wont make any noticeable difference.
Motherboard: Gigabyte P55 Not much to say. A quality board by a quality brand. Has everything you need.
Sound Card: Onboard.
Fans: Stock for CPU, fans included in case.
Cooling: See above.
Extras: None.
S&H+Taxes: I don't have your postal code, nor would I know what a generic CA postal code is, I'm American. :P

All I could do. The next step is switching you to an AMD build. Make your choice.

Edit:
I'd just like to clarify, an AMD DDR3 build isn't really a downgrade from an i5 build come to think of it. They're both dual channel rather than i7's tri channel. AM3 also might see some new CPUs while 1156 probably won't see anything much better than what it already has, IE AM3 might get 6 core cpus, 1156 wont. It'll also bring the price down below 725$. It'd also help if you could tell me what you're looking for in a case in terms of looks.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Feb 2 2010, 4:30 pm by Excalibur.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Feb 3 2010, 5:34 am Falkoner Post #64

Switching to an AMD build sounds like a good idea to me, those Phenom Blacks are unbelievably cheap for their power..

None.

Feb 3 2010, 10:21 pm NudeRaider Post #65

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from Falkoner
those Phenom Blacks are unbelievably cheap for their power..
This is because AMDs usually are stock clocked relatively higher than their Intel counterparts. So you usually can't OC them as much and they also run hotter. I'm not sure, but I'd also assume they have a lower life span.
So AMD should be the gamer's choice while Intel is more reliable and thus better for business use (except high-end sector where Intel is currently top notch, I believe).

Feb 21 2010, 1:26 am Vi3t-X Post #66

I messaged Ex a while back about updating the build for now, now that I have a total of $1,100 - $1,200 to work with. He hasn't re-posted yet, so this is just a reminder. :P

Edit: That's roughly $850 for the computer itself before taxes.

None.

Feb 21 2010, 2:03 am Excalibur Post #67

The sword and the faith

Ah, I'm sorry Viet I entirely forgot. I'll be updating the build shortly.

Here we go:

Case + PSU: RAIDMAX Simoldon Extreme + 500w PSU. Yes we all know the old 'DON'T USE INCLUDED PSUs' warning, and quite frankly, if it was a lower tier brand or something I'd say you're right. However a friend of mine has this case with its included PSU, I've inspected his build before, seen it inside and out and in use at multiple LANs. This is one instance where the included PSU is not only okay, its a great value. Aside from that with 2x 80mm and 2x 120mm already included, the price can't be beat.
Mobo + CPU: Core i5 750 + Gigabyte P55 UD3L Combo. A great CPU and a great board with a discount. There really isn't much to say here, both components are entirely solid and the fact that buying them together gives a discount is just one more reason to do it.
GFX: HD 5770. Yes the 5770, the overclocking monster that on OC'd special editions gives a stock 5850 a run for its money. These babies are top on the list of anyone currently doing a crossfire rigg, and even after the 5830 makes it to market, I doubt they'll be any less of a value than they are now. If I was looking to replace my GFX, a pair of these would be just what the doctor ordered.
RAM: OCZ Gold 2x2GB DDR3 1066. Cough, ahem. Newegg reviews aside, OCZ is a great brand, Gold is a great series, and Newegg reviewers are still idiotic twats. High freq does nothing for DDR3, since right now memory is such a non-bottleneck in terms of speed it isn't even funny. Its all capacity with memory right now and for this build 4GB is plenty.
HDD: WD Caviar Black 500GB. The Excalibarian #1 HDD series, the WD Caviar Black! Slices, dices, RAIDs, and holds the data. 500GB right here, double em, triple em, stick six of them in an adequate case. Some of the WD CBs are known to beat entry level SSDs in speed for a fraction of the price.
DVD: Sony CD/DVD Burner (SATA). Our ending note is the generic and nothing special Sony SATA DVD/CD burner. At least we won't need any ugly ribbon cables. :P

So what's this come out to? $881.75 CDN after tax and shipping to Viet's postal code.

Enjoy.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 21 2010, 2:27 am by Sexcalibear.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Feb 21 2010, 2:32 am CecilSunkure Post #68

Quote from NudeRaider
So AMD should be the gamer's choice while Intel is more reliable and thus better for business use (except high-end sector where Intel is currently top notch, I believe).
Yeah it definitely is. I talked to a friend of mine who works with server maintainence for large companies. Intel is definitely used way more than AMD for high-end commercial use -at least around where he works.

None.

Feb 21 2010, 2:35 am Excalibur Post #69

The sword and the faith

Quote from name:Cervantes
Quote from NudeRaider
Yeah it definitely is. I talked to a friend of mine who works with server maintainence for large companies. Intel is definitely used way more than AMD for high-end commercial use -at least around where he works.
This is true. AMD has 12 core Opterons, and they are buttfucked by Intel's new 6 cores on performance, temperature, and power consumption.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 21 2010, 2:42 am by Sexcalibear.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Feb 21 2010, 3:51 am Vi3t-X Post #70

Because 44% of reviewers commented on the OCZ Gold set with one-egg reviews, I am highly inclined to switch products, just for a safety precaution.

None.

Mar 1 2010, 4:16 am Vi3t-X Post #71

Additional revision:

How cheap can you make it with an i7-920 and upscale to 6GB RAM? :O

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 1 2010, 4:22 am by Vi3t-X.

None.

Mar 1 2010, 6:17 am Excalibur Post #72

The sword and the faith

Its going to up the cost a LOT.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Mar 1 2010, 8:57 am rockz Post #73

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Case:
A05NB - Styling. So anti-ricer, it could be considered ricer again. Very minimalist, and the front pops of SUPER easy. Pretty terrible airflow when compared to most "gaming cases", but it's all aluminum, so your heat dissipation is excellent.
K56 - Cheap. Essentially an antec 300 with proper HDD brackets and non terrible build. CM 590 was more expensive, and IMO side fans/vents are just a place to let in dust.
Sonata w/ Earthwatts - nets cheapest, but again, poor airflow. You can also go with any random (lol rosewill) case. A case is a case is a case. Ex's would save $60.
HDD:
WDCBlack - Only one I could find in stock. newegg.ca doesn't have any spinpoints either.
PSU:
SS-500ET - IDK the difference between ET and ES other than $5, but seasonic makes the best PSUs, and it happens to be the cheapest of the 500W variety, which I would want for an i7 build. That is, if you don't get one with the case.
RAM:
OCZ Gold - sad when the cheapest ram you can find is so expensive. Single sticks x3 can be cheaper, but you have to deal with not-so-good quality.
Motherboard:
Intel BOXDX58SO - Only here because it was the 2nd decent cheap x58 motherboard.
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R - lol usb3.0. $30 cheaper than the intel one.
CPU/GFX:
i7 920+5770 - The only logical choice if you want an i7 build.

Personally I think $1,118.43 before ridiculously expensive shipping/tax in canada for my favorite choices is way too expensive. By switching out Ex's other parts you can lower it a bit, but it's still going to be over $1.1k total no matter what. There's some i7 combo deals which essentially give you an entire computer, but they're also $1100-$1300, so you might as well pick your own parts. If you don't overclock (you don't need to) I think you could get away with the A05NB fairly easily. The only problem with Lian Li is that you're paying for quality, not function. Exact opposite of most Antec cases (paying for funtion, not quality).

Get the i5. It's an amazing processor, and more than enough for most anyone.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Mar 2 2010, 12:02 am Vi3t-X Post #74

Quote from name:Sexcalibear
Its going to up the cost a LOT.
I'd just like to see an estimate and how much of an upgrade it would be. If possible, please try to minimize cost. :)

EDIT: This is due to the availability of increased funds. :D

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 2 2010, 11:34 pm by Vi3t-X.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4
  Back to forum