Staredit Network > Forums > > Topic: Seeking maps for AO mappool
Seeking maps for AO mappool
Apr 16 2009, 9:50 pm
By: IskatuMesk  

Apr 16 2009, 9:50 pm IskatuMesk Post #1

Lord of the Locker Room

I'm seeking maps for the official AO mappool to be released with the mod. Here's your chance to contribute to AO.

Maps must adhere to the following criteria;

- They should be money maps but not "FASTEST OMG" maps. Fastest maps break terran AI.
- Ramps, bridges and choke points should be extremely large to support exceptionally massive units, like the Madness Titan.
- No installation or space tileset, sorry! I cannibalized their doodads for sprites.
- Map size should be minimal 128x128 but keep in mind AO has flying ranged units with insane range and splash damage. Bases being close to each other should be avoided at all costs. 256x256 is ideal.
- Bases should be fairly large to support the terran and protoss AI with their masssive base construction.
- Plenty of expansions, without minerals or anything blocking them.
- No neutral structures of any kind.
- Non-symmetrical preferred but not required.

Maps must be submitted within a week.

I'm not going to spend two days figuring out scmdraft to fix maps.

Right now all AO has is BGR, my incomplete bastardization of BGH.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Apr 16 2009, 10:10 pm Symmetry Post #2

Dungeon Master

Can AO handle air-only maps/partially air-only maps?

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Apr 16 2009, 10:23 pm IskatuMesk Post #3

Lord of the Locker Room

It can, but it isn't ideal since AI transport management isn't so bright (and players will be isolated from each other).

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Apr 17 2009, 1:53 am Excalibur Post #4

The sword and the faith

Mesk I take it you're familiar with my work for mod night?

If not check here:
http://www.panschk.de/mappage/maplist.php?wauthor=Excalibur

Contains both my small and large scale maps. Let me know if there's anything you like or needs particular modification.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Apr 17 2009, 2:05 am IskatuMesk Post #5

Lord of the Locker Room

The Sun's Star looks really nice. If the ramps were widened to accept the big units I think it would work great. Also the unbuildable terrain in the bases should be removed, since it would screw up the terran computers quite badly who need a colossal amount of space.

Confession III also looks great; again, just ramps and another player spot and it should be gold.

The other maps would require significantly heavy modifications. In Red Clover, for example, the adjacent bases would be a death sentence to anyone who spawned with Armageddon right beside him. Perhaps the players could be frayed out a bit more?

The same with Dominion, but unfortunately Dominion is space platform and I've used every single sprite-based doodad in that tileset for projectiles; they would crash instantly.

I'll probably end up making minor modifications myself anyway to any of the maps as I playtest them for maximum computer efficiency (they do need a lot of space, and some terrain features might unforseeably screw with them), but yeah.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 17 2009, 2:11 am by IskatuMesk.

Apr 17 2009, 2:19 am Excalibur Post #6

The sword and the faith

The terrain in the mains on Sun's Star isn't unbuildable. Crags need to be a certain thickness before they become unbuildable.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Apr 17 2009, 2:29 am IskatuMesk Post #7

Lord of the Locker Room

Oh. Well, doacks. Shows how much I know about SC mapping.

Apr 18 2009, 9:21 pm Symmetry Post #8

Dungeon Master

I am making one of these for you. It should be at a playable state by tonight.

Apr 19 2009, 2:28 am Sand Wraith Post #9

she/her

I'd like to help, although I'm afraid I know next to nothing about melee balance and the such. I could always try to meet the bare minimums though. :P

Apr 19 2009, 4:50 am IskatuMesk Post #10

Lord of the Locker Room

Well I'm not exactly expecting kespa-sanctioned mapping here. BGR is about as imbalanced as you can make a map.

Apr 19 2009, 1:47 pm Symmetry Post #11

Dungeon Master

I've made one map that attempts to give the player as big of an advantage as possible (with my current knowledge of the mod, anyway) but I am still yet to decorate it/make ramps that aren't just square terrain slapped down to sort of act as a ramp.

Apr 19 2009, 7:22 pm Excalibur Post #12

The sword and the faith

I'm working on something just for you mesk. It'll be done soon. ;O

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Apr 19 2009, 9:27 pm IskatuMesk Post #13

Lord of the Locker Room

Cool! Looking forward to both submissions. It's about time I got some real mappers involved.

Options
  Back to forum