Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Is life a dream?
Is life a dream?
Mar 11 2009, 2:50 am
By: Fierce
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4

Mar 13 2009, 1:53 am EzDay281 Post #61

You responded to half of it - specifically the Occam's Razor portion - and ignored the remainder.
Rather, I took it for being part of the second half through skimming. Not much a difference, but whatever.
In any case:
The dream-within-a-dream scenario does occur ( I seem to recall my brother talking about a dream that went some five or so levels deep, on a random note ) . The fact that we do not know of a "truly-awake" state to which our current one is a dream does not rule it out. A literal homonculus could be the basis of our vision without necessarily implying that it is the basis for vision in its entirety.
maybe it is a being that dreams for a really long relative time...
Maybe we've not really been in a 13-16 year long dream. Everything we remember is just part of the "setting". ;D

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 13 2009, 2:01 am by EzDay281.

None.

Mar 13 2009, 2:04 am Fierce Post #62

Quote from Vrael
Fierce, I thought you wanted serious answers for serious discussion?
Quote from Fierce
Why did you post if you feel disgusted? I'm being serious and I wanted serious replies. That is why I placed this in the Serious Discussion forum (but someone felt the need to move it..)
You have had 2 or 3 actually serious responses in this whole topic, namely,
A_of-s_t's:
http://www.staredit.net/138097/
and my 3rd one:
http://www.staredit.net/138132/

So what is your response to this?
Quote from Fierce
Exactly. Dreams can look just like reality so how can people deny that possibility of life really being a dream?
Did you read either of them? Or shall we label this thread "hypocrisy"? (That goes for all you other folks who have yet to address the substantiative stuff too...)

Good thing this was moved to null...

I've been busy replying to the posts you and others have made so thus I skimmed through posts looking for quotes related to me and posts that had my name in. Anyway, here are my replies.

Quote from A_of-s_t
The fallacy that life is a dream stems from the fact that the dream is creating its own rules, and that the person having this dream could be a dream themselves that are thus followed by a set of rules, and it can go on and on and therefor falls under what is known as the Homunculus argument: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homunculus_argument

Now someone may point out that this arguement applies to vision, but, Homunculus arguments are always fallacious unless some way can be found to 'ground' the regress. BAM, BOOM, OCCAM'S RAZOR LIVES TO TELL ANOTHER TAIL OF SUCCESS!!

BEFORE OCCAM'S RAZOR
I am just a dream of someone else who exists.

AFTER OCCAM'S RAZOR
I just exist.
What kind of rules are you talking about?
I think I understand what you mean by this so I will create a scenario:
Bob's life is a dream. If John came up to Bob and Bob told John about his theory of life being a dream, John could say "You're being illogical because I exist as well as others." So John can either be part of Bob's dream or Bob is part of John's dream. So if Bob is part of John's dream, it is still possible that John could have experienced an interaction within his dream. So it is still very much possible that John's life is a dream without him realizing it (because of how some dreams in your sleep seem so real that when you wake up you question what happened and you look for answers in "reality")

Quote from Vrael
Let's take our life to be a dream. If all is but a dream, what must be necessary for everything to actually be a dream? Well, certainly something must exist, for the dream itself wouldn't exist without existence. So we have at least, an existent dream. If it is reasonable for the dream to exist, then I think it reasonable for other things to exist as well, for a dream by itself isn't much of a dream without contents. You can't have a dream purely about nothing. You can dream about the color black, where nothing happens in your dream but you see the color black, but then at least 1 other thing exists, the color black. Someone might say "well, the color black isn't really a color, so much as an absence of color, so you're not really seeing anything." To which I would respond, you are still recognizing the lack of something, which means that something is in fact going on. Maybe these things only exist within the dream, but they still exist since they exist within the dream.

Well, lets see. Lets say you believe in a form of afterlife and you worship a God. Can't it be possible that life is a dream and when you wake up you are in the afterlife with your God? If you don't believe in an afterlife or a God, like myself, and you don't believe in life being a dream, you're in the same position as if you were wrong about there is no God... if you didn't believe in life being a dream and you wake up after death, you were wrong. If you did believe in life being a dream but still didn't believe in God or an afterlife, you would either be proved right or wrong. It's the same way religion works. You just have to have faith in what you believe and not what others tell you.

Quote from Vrael
Now I ask what it would mean to have a dream but no dreamer. We have now, some sort of metaphysical existence, but no lower existence to base it on. Now, where precisely are the things that occur in the dream going to come from? Perhaps they can just spawn somehow through some sort of godly power, and the dream goes on, but if this dream is the foundation for all things, then it isn't really a dream at all. Since this dream exists, but other things outside the dream do not, it's a foundation of sorts for all reality, and essentially, it's own reality.

I will continue using God and the afterlife example as I used for the above quote to explain things.
If God, if you believe in him or not, gave you a "life" to live in this dream, but you would eventually die in this dream and "wake up" to see your maker.
If there isn't a God, you are left with whatever is true. That is why its called a possibility.

None.

Mar 13 2009, 2:53 am Vrael Post #63

It is irrelevant if there is a God or not that we will wake up to meet. If we are in nothing but a dream right now, so long as there is no way to tell otherwise, the dream itself is our foundation for all things and as such we must treat it that way, as reality. If we someday wake up, well, then the dream was nothing but a dream, and we're still in reality. (See previous post for logic concerning this). When you say:
Quote from Fierce
Can't it be possible that life is a dream and when you wake up you are in the afterlife with your God?
This is meaningless, because for the duration that we are living the dream, the dream is the only reality, and for the duration when we wake up, we see that this afterlife is reality. Was it true that you were "in" a dream before? Well it might be. But if we have no way of knowing we're in a dream then it makes no difference at all and the dream is the reality.

However, this stuff about "waking up" from a dream is meaningless. If you "wake up" from a dream, then you see that your dream was just a dream after all and reality is unaffected. Either the entire sequence of all events that you can have knowledge of is a dream, and therefore also your reality by the prior logic posted, or it's just a dream and you'll wake up to your actual reality, in which case the dream was just a dream and everything isn't just a dream.

Quote from Fierce
If God, if you believe in him or not, gave you a "life" to live in this dream, but you would eventually die in this dream and "wake up" to see your maker.
Then the dream is just a dream, and when you wake up you'll see reality.

Quote from Fierce
If there isn't a God, you are left with whatever is true. That is why its called a possibility.
Well, "whatever is true" is going to be either you existed in your reality, or you existed in your reality, so, really kind of a redundant statement.

It sounds to me like all you want is to call "life" a dream and the "afterlife" reality, with death being some sort of "awakening." If that's how you want to define your terms that's fine, but that's not what I'm arguing against, and if that's all you want please tell me so that I can stop myself from looking like a fool for arguing against nothing.

None.

Mar 13 2009, 3:08 am Fierce Post #64

Quote from Vrael
However, this stuff about "waking up" from a dream is meaningless. If you "wake up" from a dream, then you see that your dream was just a dream after all and reality is unaffected. Either the entire sequence of all events that you can have knowledge of is a dream, and therefore also your reality by the prior logic posted, or it's just a dream and you'll wake up to your actual reality, in which case the dream was just a dream and everything isn't just a dream.

Yes, but you wouldn't know what reality is if you've just woken up from what you thought was reality. Then you would question "How am I sure that this isn't just another dream and that I just had a dream about having a dream?"

Quote from Vrael
It sounds to me like all you want is to call "life" a dream and the "afterlife" reality, with death being some sort of "awakening." If that's how you want to define your terms that's fine, but that's not what I'm arguing against, and if that's all you want please tell me so that I can stop myself from looking like a fool for arguing against nothing.

I said in my post that I was using those for examples.

None.

Mar 13 2009, 4:28 am A_of-s_t Post #65

aka idmontie

Quote from Fierce
What kind of rules are you talking about?
I think I understand what you mean by this so I will create a scenario:
Bob's life is a dream. If John came up to Bob and Bob told John about his theory of life being a dream, John could say "You're being illogical because I exist as well as others." So John can either be part of Bob's dream or Bob is part of John's dream. So if Bob is part of John's dream, it is still possible that John could have experienced an interaction within his dream. So it is still very much possible that John's life is a dream without him realizing it (because of how some dreams in your sleep seem so real that when you wake up you question what happened and you look for answers in "reality")

Here's what my homunculus arguement stipulates:
I am a person who lives in this universe. We suppose that this whole universe is a dream. We know from experience that this universe follows a set of rules. Since the universe is a dream, these rules are composed by the dreamer themselves. Now we regress to this person who is dreaming, they too, can therefor be a dream of someone higher who is likewise, composing that person's universe's rules. We find ourselves in a state of infinite regress where we cannot ground where the process of rule creating occurs.
We therefor have a fallacy -- either th assumpution that I am in this universe is wrong, that the universe is a dream is wrong, or that someone is composing the rules to the person composing the rules of our universe.
Taking Occam's razor, we can cut out the elaborate fantasy and state that the universe just exists.

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Mar 13 2009, 1:41 pm JaFF Post #66

Quote from A_of-s_t
Here's what my homunculus arguement stipulates:
I am a person who lives in this universe. We suppose that this whole universe is a dream. We know from experience that this universe follows a set of rules. Since the universe is a dream, these rules are composed by the dreamer themselves. Now we regress to this person who is dreaming, they too, can therefor be a dream of someone higher who is likewise, composing that person's universe's rules. We find ourselves in a state of infinite regress where we cannot ground where the process of rule creating occurs.
I didn't read you other posts in this topic, but can you clarify one thing about this argument:

What makes the assumption that the entity that is dreaming is another entity's dream true? In other words, what gives you the right to go into an infinite iteration of inserting the set of rules each dreamer exists in into another, higher dreamer's dream?

None.

Mar 13 2009, 4:13 pm Paravin. Post #67

Life isn't a dream - It's a nightmare.

None.

Mar 13 2009, 4:23 pm Kellimus Post #68

Quote from Fierce
I was listening to a song by my favorite band a while back and a quote from Bill Hicks states in the song Third Eye by Tool which goes "There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves."

Now that made me think, what is life? Can it actually be a dream? How could I know that everything in reality is actually real?

Just imagine for a moment. Don't be negative, just follow me.

Close your eyes and think to yourself about my questions. What if everyone and everything in life is a dream? You could do what you want, get away with it BECAUSE life is a dream.

How could you solve this? It drives me insane when I think about it. You can't just say no and throw it away. Just believe that everything doesn't exist. Everything is planned for you by your own mind. You control your dream thus you control your life.

"You create your own reality"

So if you want your life to 'be a dream', truly believe that it is, and it will be. The human spirit is all-powerful.

Ever heard the phrase: "Mind Over Matter"?

Same applies.

Mind over matter -- You create your own reality = Dream life.

None.

Mar 13 2009, 9:57 pm A_of-s_t Post #69

aka idmontie

Quote from JaFF
What makes the assumption that the entity that is dreaming is another entity's dream true? In other words, what gives you the right to go into an infinite iteration of inserting the set of rules each dreamer exists in into another, higher dreamer's dream?
Well, we can think about it this way: the only way we could possibly claim that this life is a dream is because there are governing rules to it that must be made by something/someone. We can claim that these rules are made by someone dreaming them, but this person will obviously obey SOME sort of rules, which can be associated with someone else dreaming them, and we are therefor stuck in a state of infinite regression.

So, since A, maybe B. B, maybe C. C, maybe D. It's best to use Occam's razor and state that A just exists. Eleborate constructs to explain phenomona can usually be boiled down to key components.

But, because I'm nice, I'll post a another arguement:

If life is a dream, then, is there really a point in knowing that? Does it some how increase awareness of the self? No, it doesn't. It implies absolutely nothing except that you are here, and you may contribute a verse (as Walt Witman said). Now, what if life is not a dream? It's the same thing, but without resorting to elaborate constructs and philosophical issues. So, which requires less work, but still leads to the same end result? Life not being a dream.

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Mar 13 2009, 10:19 pm JaFF Post #70

Well, we can think about it this way: the only way we could possibly claim that this life is a dream is because there are governing rules to it that must be made by something/someone. We can claim that these rules are made by someone dreaming them, but this person will obviously obey SOME sort of rules, which can be associated with someone else dreaming them, and we are therefor stuck in a state of infinite regression.
You still did not explain how one assumption that this universe is a dream result in infinitely many alike assumptions, which your argument is based upon. Why not end the chain right after the first one? "This universe is a dream of some entity from another universe, and that entity exists in the REAL universe." And after that, use any supposition you like to explain where the REAL rules came from (which is, the ultimate mystery, I suppose).

You must come up with an argument that defeats the possibility of any number of 'dreams' from one to infinity.

None.

Mar 13 2009, 10:24 pm A_of-s_t Post #71

aka idmontie

Well, how can you possibly ground it if the person dreaming it has rules just as we do? What actually STOPS him from being a dream himself?

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Mar 13 2009, 10:28 pm JaFF Post #72

Quote from A_of-s_t
Well, how can you possibly ground it if the person dreaming it has rules just as we do? What actually STOPS him from being a dream himself?
Nothing, just like nothing is stopping him from being 'real'.

And yes, looks like you can't ground it any other way. Whatever. Time to get less serious in this thread again. :hurr:

None.

Mar 14 2009, 5:44 am Riney Post #73

Thigh high affectionado

You take the blue Mike n Ike, you wake up, the story ends and you go on to belive what ever it is you want to belive...

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Mar 14 2009, 10:04 pm EzDay281 Post #74

Again, we're talking hypotheticals. Nothing needs to "stop" him if it's not absolutely necessary that he be doing it in the first place; Occam's razor has no place in the discussion.
It implies absolutely nothing except that you are here,
It does imply the existance of a "parent" reality to which we could awaken at any moment... not that that's of any significance, as what that would consist of would be unrelated to what we do/what we should do within our current existance.
But then again, it's a hypothetical which some people will reject on no, or unreasonable, basis. That in itself gives it some discussional value, and apparently enough to realize relevant discourse in this case.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4
  Back to forum