Earth Map
Mar 8 2009, 10:39 pm
By: Sand Wraith  

Mar 22 2009, 9:11 pm Decency Post #21

Of course it does, and I melee semi-regularly, but I'm not at a high enough level that where my opponent spawns in relation to me affects my build order.

I can only think of one map off the top of my head that has different strategic terrain based on where you spawn.

None.

Mar 23 2009, 6:38 am BeDazed Post #22

No its quite logical that your BO changes in correlation with the distance between you and your opponent's main. If you've really played melee any seriously, (and of course learned some bos) your bo would change in relation to distance.
Theres quite a list of this:
Zealot Rushing (You'd want to change this right away if the opponent is too far.)
2 Factory (Highly disadvantageous build if the opponent is too far.)
2 Hatch Mutas (This build is good when you're close. Or you'd just lose economically.)
Cheese Build (Bunker rush, Vulture, Wraith)
'Any kind of Rushing' would get affected by distance.

None.

Mar 29 2009, 12:08 pm Hug A Zergling Post #23

Well, it was done for risk, can't it be done for melee?

None.

Mar 29 2009, 11:03 pm stickynote Post #24

Risk is a ums map, and it's not balanced at all.

None.

Apr 10 2009, 5:10 pm rayNimagi Post #25

Quote from BeDazed
[quote]
Did you know that a perfect square ABCD has different distances between A to B and A to C, and that changes alot in a real game?

Yes, diagonals are longer than straight sides. Circular starting positions (think Wheel of War) are the most common, followed by maps with the slots around the center (BGH, Blood Bath, or fastest map, etc.). Though they are not 100% balanced in accordance with distance (is 100% balanced possible in a SC game with more than three players?), they are more balanced than a map with five players on one side and three players on the other.

If possible, you could just make the minimap look the the Earth and make islands equal. (As in, use unpassable terrain around the equal area starting islands to give it a "feel" of the Earth.)

Quote from stickynote
Risk is a ums map, and it's not balanced at all.

Risk is somewhat balanced because larger continents give higher bonuses. Everyone starts with (relatively) the same number of territories scattered randomly.

Win by luck, lose by skill.

May 23 2009, 5:48 am Pr0nogo Post #26

Put a shitload of hard-to-keep expoes on places like Antarctica, Greenland and India while separating Europe from mainland Asia with a large mountain chain.

Americas can have 1 or 2 players (N.A. and S.A.), don't separate them with much high ground.

Basically it's 3 or 4 islands, 2 of which are actual starting locations, and the other 1-2 of which are hard-to-keep expoes.

Pic:

Austrailia/Africa can be removed entirely (or Greenland, who gives a shit).
Pic is incorrect, definitely 2 players in Eurasia.

Options
  Back to forum