Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Projects > Topic: FreeSpace 0
FreeSpace 0
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Mar 1 2009, 2:41 am
By: Biophysicist  

Mar 1 2009, 2:41 am Biophysicist Post #1

TasssadarZeratul and ForTheSwarm present: FREESPACE 0

Well, basically, one day I was playing an obscure space-combat game called FreeSpace 2 and thought “Hey, this would be good as an SC mod!” And that’s how this project was born.

There are three races, the Terrans (humans :hurr: ), the Vasudans (humanoid aliens), and Shivans (nonhumanoid aliens native to subspace). The mod takes place in space, but the units are actually ground, not air, so the terrain actually matters. The tech tree is fairly unusual: Rather than constructing buildings, you climb the tech tree by research. There are only two production buildings for each race (three for Terrans): Fighters, bombers, workers, and a few other units are built at your town center, while capital ships and cruisers are “built” (they actually warp in from subspace) at Jump Nodes (Refineries). The Terrans are the exception: They have a third structure which builds their cruiser-sized ships.

Anyway: Units!

Terran units

Vasudan Units

Shivan units

Oh, you can look on the FreeSpace Wiki for images of the units. (Except the Vasudan and Shivan town centers, which I made up because there are no canon units that would work as their town centers.)

(FTS, did I forget anything?)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 1 2009, 2:54 am by James Buchanan.

None.

Mar 1 2009, 2:43 am Fisty Post #2

I have no faith in this project, you have too many others on the go right now, such as Biophysics.

None.

Mar 1 2009, 2:45 am poison_us Post #3

Back* from the grave

yes.
:hurr:
you need that.

EDIT: and to focus on one project at a time. You'll lose interest in one, and that'll probably be the one that's more complete.

Mar 1 2009, 2:49 am Biophysicist Post #4

Well, Biophysics will be in beta by the end of next week, probably. As for my mapping project, BASW is on hold while madroc and I try to get more organized, and I've sort of lost intrest in Breach. So I don't have like a gazillion projects, only three, one of which is almost done.

Oh, if anyone's wondering, AWACS stands for "Advanced Warning and Control System". It's basically FreeSpace's term for its version of Detectors.

None.

Mar 1 2009, 3:07 am Phobos Post #5

Are you sure about that?

I wasn't wondering. And I certainly don't think I care if there's a beta next week, what this people is suggesting you to do is to FOCUSS ON ONE MOD OR WHATEVER AT A TIME. Nobody is going to take your work seriously if you don't finish previous work.

Say you lost interest in Battle of Breach, well, I could picture in the near future "I lost interest in Biophysics"

this is signature

Mar 1 2009, 3:13 am Biophysicist Post #6

I lost interest in it because I started modding, which is more interesting to me than mapping...

Now, why don't we actually talk about this mod, hm?

None.

Mar 1 2009, 3:34 am TriggR_HappE Post #7

Arn't you supposed to have some amount of the mod done before posting about it? It's a great idea and all, but like everyone else said, you have a lot on your plate as is. Just think you might wanna commit to it a little before you get too carried away.

None.

Mar 1 2009, 3:47 am Polaris Post #8

I have spotted several major flaws in this project.

Flaw 1: You're ripping off of a game again. Biophysics was ripped from Genesis Rising. And this is obviously from Freespace, as you said it already. While taking ideas from games is sometimes okay, people enjoy fresh concepts and storylines more.

Flaw 2: You never, ever, EVER post a concept of the mod before it's even started development. Only do it if you know 100% that the mod will get finished, which in this case, I highly doubt it will.

Flaw 3: As already mentioned, you have several other projects going at once. Either stop working on them, or stop working on this. You're work can't be spread out this much.

Flaw 4: That's a hell of a lot of units. I don't know if you just plan to rip graphics, or actually model them all, but regardless, it's going to take a very long time.

Flaw 5: Space mods are becoming a dime a dozen. If you're actually going to go through with this, please, please, PLEASE refine the concept and make the gameplay very unique. Otherwise it seems like this will just be an OI\Temptation clone with a twist.

Flaw 6: Starcraft doesn't have a good engine for this type of mod you want to achieve, as I found out while making Orid Ibanna. If you're serious about making this, try making it on Homeworld 2.

Although it may sound like it, I'm not trying to bash and insult you, I'm trying to prevent you from wasting hours of work for nothing, and then humiliating yourself when this fails.

If anything cool is ever going on Skype me up under the name "blarghle"

Mar 1 2009, 3:55 am Biophysicist Post #9

1: I know... My next mod will be a lot more original, though.

2: I've already started on it...

3: Uh, I have three, and that will go down to two very soon...

4: I know. Fortunatly, FS's graphics are easy to rip.

5: It's actually not really a space mod... As I already said, the units are actually ground. (I'm making a tileset with unwalkable terrain like Asteroid Fields and stuff.)

6: Why do you think that?

None.

Mar 1 2009, 4:09 am Polaris Post #10

Quote from name:James Buchanan
1: I know... My next mod will be a lot more original, though.

2: I've already started on it...

3: Uh, I have three, and that will go down to two very soon...

4: I know. Fortunatly, FS's graphics are easy to rip.

5: It's actually not really a space mod... As I already said, the units are actually ground. (I'm making a tileset with unwalkable terrain like Asteroid Fields and stuff.)

6: Why do you think that?
1: Your next mod? You're telling me you're starting on another project after this one?

2: Screenshots? Anything in game? Show us, or this project thread heavily risks getting locked.

3: You said Biophysics is entering beta. Beta is not completed. So you're either A: Going to finish that map, or B: Release Biophysics beta and just abandon it.

4: Good. Regardless if the graphics are easy to rip, you still have to render them, and actually make a unique unit for each of them. It will still take a while.

5: Just because the units are on the "ground" doesn't mean it's not a space mod. Are there stars in the background? Asteroids? Then it's a space mod. I'm saying the concept is becoming overused, not how you execute it. Also, a heads up: Units that are meant to be in the air act awkward sometimes when on the ground level plane.

6: It's hard to believe you're in space if you can't move in the third dimension. The only mod that got away with this is Ad Astras, because it's... well, feels more like a real time and scaled down version of Galactic Civilizations 2.

If anything cool is ever going on Skype me up under the name "blarghle"

Mar 1 2009, 5:11 am RoryFenrir Post #11

uh you better not loose interest in Biophysics... i did spend time on those units i made for you. Luckily for me though, even if you dont finish those GRPs wont go to waste... I do admit though, i start and stop projects alot, but at least i got my mod playable before i started another.

but ya, i strongly disagree with starting a post before you have something to show, or you have tested the concepts you plan to implement.

None.

Mar 1 2009, 6:10 pm Symmetry Post #12

Dungeon Master

TZ: http://www.staredit.net/topic/5947/

Not to rain on your project, but repost the thread when you've got something to show for it. It'll a) Be more appealing to people and b) not cause the ridiculous amount of flame/spam that's happening in here.

Everyone else:

Let's try to stay positive, please? We try to encourage people to mod here, not berate them until they give up.

Needless to say, this is getting locked.

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Options
  Back to forum