Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: Which Starcraft Editor should I use ?
Which Starcraft Editor should I use ?
Feb 20 2009, 9:39 am
By: Graiskye  

Feb 20 2009, 9:39 am Graiskye Post #1

Well pretty self explanatory. Recently I felt the urge to do some strategy gaming, so I installed a beat up old copy of Starcraft, I'm surprised it still installs, and have been going through the single player campaign.
Never been much of an online player, Im just not very good at rushing.
i had a hankering to plan out some of my own battles so I dug into the editor a bit, came on line to see what resources there were fro learning to use it, not as many as I would have liked, given the size of the Starcraft community Id thought there would be tons of info on making scenarios and campaigns, but alas. Maybe I am just looking in the wrong places ?
Any ideas ?
No matter if not, as this site and several other similar ones look to have a decent group of regulars who have the knowledge I seek, so hence the question in the title,
"which SC Map-Editor should I use", does it matter, is one better than the others ?
Better by how much, lots? Or just a little ?
I would love to find any info at all, some tutorials if there are any, links what have you....
It seems pretty simple for simple scenarios, I can set up a battle and get my ass handed to me ussually, Ive never claimed to be good, but I enjoy it.
I like long epic games, so I use great big maps with 2 or 3 players.
Anyhow best I just leave it at that, 'cause I could go on and on....but I shall refrain, it's my first post here and I need not make an ass of thyself just yet, in due time, I'm most certain.
Thanks for taking the time to read, please feel free to comment, lend ideas, or just say hello.
Mike 'Graiskye' Latimer.

PS: BTW I did do a search and funnily enough I got 0 hits on 3-4 tries, so I gave up BUT I just found the SEN Tutorials so that looks helpful.
Just getting used to how the site works, please forgive the oversite.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 20 2009, 9:45 am by Graiskye.

None.

Feb 20 2009, 12:22 pm Black Knight Post #2

You should use SCMDraft2 best recommended by me, and online gaming isn't just Melee, there are a lot of UMS maps aswell

None.

Feb 20 2009, 2:25 pm Excalibur Post #3

The sword and the faith

SEN isn't that easy to use right now, it's very messy, so I understand if it's easier to ask for help.

SCMDraft 2 is the best, for melee, for UMS, for everything.

If you plan on going into melee mapping, you'll be seeing a lot of me.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Feb 20 2009, 4:22 pm Falkoner Post #4

You can read a bit of a description of each here: http://Falkoner.CoW.GooglePages.com/Programs.html#Editors

None.

Feb 20 2009, 9:22 pm Lt.Church Post #5

SCMDraft2 or starforge, though if youre just getting into you the things starforge has over draft wont mean jack to you :-_-:

None.

Feb 21 2009, 3:29 am Graiskye Post #6

Thanks to all you.
Well I have been using SCMDraft and it seem to be the bees knees, so no reason to look for more at this time.
Im still having trouble just re learning the game, but I am having fun so wth.
Embarassed to say the PC keeps handing me my hat, but I am getting better at repelling his rush's, so practice, practice.
I know I can beat this bastard.
As to my mapping, you'd be hard pressed to call it skillful, basically I just try to make maps that will be fun to play on, I like choke points, having higher, and lower elevations.
Which actually reminds of a question I was having, how do I make, or where do I find 'ramps'.
So I can go from low ground to high ground ?
I did a rudimentary look in the editor but no luck so far ?
Thanks again,
-G.

None.

Feb 21 2009, 4:23 am Keirebu Post #7

Those are Doodads, (Or at least they start that way) Go to your doodad section, And look in the "Cliff" Like ones.
For example, The Default jungle ramps, Are in Doodads>Cliff> Cliff Doodad 12 and 13.

None.

Feb 21 2009, 9:52 am Graiskye Post #8

Thanks dude.

None.

Options
  Back to forum