Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: Nibbits Map Hosting Features
Nibbits Map Hosting Features
Feb 9 2009, 3:34 am
By: zeeg
Pages: < 1 2 3

Feb 15 2009, 5:32 pm Demented Shaman Post #41

Quote from name:Dark_Marine
Also evildesk is under the impression I did it, Id like to say Ive never posted a comment in my life on that site ;o
I never said you did it, but it's definitely an SEN member. And there's no need for excuses because if zeeg will give moose the IP addresses then they can be compared to the ones that visit SEN.

That said, there's a lot of circumstantial evidence to say that you're definitely a suspect. Anyway, I don't really care.

None.

Feb 15 2009, 8:24 pm zeeg Post #42

Simply because it's very rude to spam like that (sorry I didn't notice it sooner), I will make the IP public here of any requested spammers.

68.236.151.71 this is the user posing as evilDesk, and they are now banned from posting on Nibbits.
71.164.101.253 is the ip over the user posing as devilesk (assuming it wasnt yourself, since you have a registered account).

On that note, obviously comments do not need to be that long. I will implement a few sanitation checks such as length, and maximum word length to try and prevent things like this.

The biggest mountain I have to climb right now, is dealing with comments. The WarCraft 3 section is ridiculous on some of the Filipino users that are posting there.

I'm also willing to give moderation ability to a couple users, if they're willing, and the community here decides they would be a good fit. Moderators can ONLY clean up comments, and can not remove maps or anything of the sorts. Moderators can also view the IP address of the user posting the comment.

None.

Feb 15 2009, 9:22 pm Forsaken Archer Post #43

Apparently all comments on that page were made by one member, who is now banned for no less than one month.

None.

Feb 15 2009, 9:42 pm zeeg Post #44

I have almost implemented some protection. This should stop people from making stupid comments. There's a few routines which it checks, and I won't tell exactly how it does it but here's the gist:

- Confirms that youre not spamming single words/phrases over and over.
- Checks for repeated use of lengthy words.
- Limitations on how long comments can be, as well as forum posts.
- Moderators can view deleted comments (as they could already on forums).

These are handled in several different ways, and if you are registered the checks are less severe.

None.

Feb 15 2009, 10:09 pm Symmetry Post #45

Dungeon Master

Quote from zeeg
I'm also willing to give moderation ability to a couple users, if they're willing, and the community here decides they would be a good fit. Moderators can ONLY clean up comments, and can not remove maps or anything of the sorts. Moderators can also view the IP address of the user posting the comment.

You should definitely include some kind of simple 'report comment' function for the moderators.

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Feb 23 2009, 7:47 pm zeeg Post #46

To get some more feedback, I want to make the embeddable widgets a bit more useful (that is, if people think they aren't).

If you're not familiar with them, it's a simple bit of JavaScript code that can be embedded on your own website. It then gives a live look at the rating, number of downloads, and links to the map. For an example, you can check here: http://www.davidcramer.net/work/417/javascript-widgets-on-nibbits.html

None.

Feb 23 2009, 7:51 pm Demented Shaman Post #47

That would be nice to put in our signatures here, although I don't think it's allowed or supported.

None.

Feb 27 2009, 8:35 pm Brontobyte Post #48

How about implementing a feature to let the uploader of the map edit such fields as the map title and the either submitted description or if the uploader left it blank, let them edit the original description. (From the website not the map file) Also, if the uploader could have an option to delete comments from their own uploaded maps, that would be cool.

Improvements?
-The tag limit is too low. 15-20
-Uploaders should be able to edit their own tags.
-The description box is too small. It only shows the first 10 lines, anything longer than that gets hidden.
-Faster map download updates. Right as someone downloads the map, the counter should add 1.
-I also think that users should be able to search for all maps that are submitted by someone. I don't think you are going to or even ever planed on creating a profile page, but a simple list or search that users could do to search for maps submitted by someone would also be nice.
-When I search for my maps title "Mouse Defender" it comes up with no results.
-The "Top Ten" map award is weird. My map has been in the top ten for about a week now. Is it supposed to be "Top Five"? I was ranked #5 then today I was ranked #4 and I received the award.

http://www.nibbits.com/sc/maps/view/125206/

Finally, what's up with "Your map is not currently supported by Nibbits."?

None.

Feb 28 2009, 12:45 am Norm Post #49

Yes, I have tried uploaded 2 maps to your website and neither has been supported.

None.

Mar 1 2009, 6:24 am zeeg Post #50

Quote from Brontobyte
How about implementing a feature to let the uploader of the map edit such fields as the map title and the either submitted description or if the uploader left it blank, let them edit the original description. (From the website not the map file) Also, if the uploader could have an option to delete comments from their own uploaded maps, that would be cool.

Improvements?
-The tag limit is too low. 15-20
-Uploaders should be able to edit their own tags.
-The description box is too small. It only shows the first 10 lines, anything longer than that gets hidden.
-Faster map download updates. Right as someone downloads the map, the counter should add 1.
-I also think that users should be able to search for all maps that are submitted by someone. I don't think you are going to or even ever planed on creating a profile page, but a simple list or search that users could do to search for maps submitted by someone would also be nice.
-When I search for my maps title "Mouse Defender" it comes up with no results.
-The "Top Ten" map award is weird. My map has been in the top ten for about a week now. Is it supposed to be "Top Five"? I was ranked #5 then today I was ranked #4 and I received the award.

http://www.nibbits.com/sc/maps/view/125206/

Finally, what's up with "Your map is not currently supported by Nibbits."?

Some good ideas, but a couple issues in there:

- Authorship is unknown. The way the system works is it tries to determine as much information as it can, but it doesnt say "Bob owns this map". Being this way, anyone can upload a map, but at the same time, editing maps is only up to the moderators of the site (really you shouldn't ever need to edit it after you upload it). As for editing the map title I'll consider it.
- Tags are going to be improved, greatly. There's been some great suggestions on the forums on what could be done and I've been taking them very seriously.
- I'll increase the size of the description box :)
- Download counters, for efficiency, can't really be accurate. I will throw in an estimation counter on it, for now, and we'll see how it performs.
- As for the top ranking, I'm not quite sure why you didn't receive the award sooner, but I will look into this.
- Your map is not supported means it fails to parse the map. As of right now it does not allow you to upload any map which it cannot at least parse basic information out of. There's a few reasons for this, but mostly its for quality purposes. The parser is being overhauled, but it's a tedious process and the new one isn't ready yet.
- The lack of a search result is a bug in my bindings. I'm working on fixing that right now.

None.

Mar 2 2009, 2:14 am zeeg Post #51

Based on a lot of response, here is my current plan: http://www.nibbits.com/sc/forums/11/view/86/

None.

Mar 3 2009, 11:14 pm zeeg Post #52

I wanted to let everyone know that we've fixed a pretty simple (but problematic) bug that was causing some maps to not be parsable. If you had problems before please try now. If you still have problems please give me a link to your map here on SEN.

I'm making several optimizations tonight as well (so pardon the downtime), but Melee/UMS flags are also going live :)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 4 2009, 2:12 am by zeeg.

None.

Mar 5 2009, 10:42 am zeeg Post #53

And *drumroll* here's the big one.. Pending changes are semi-live.

You can now submit changes on any map on the site. They will not go live, but rather go into a queue. I'm still working on the controls for this (user voting/etc), but you can begin piling up the changes for maps.

To alter a map, simply find the map on the site, and click "Edit" right below the map name. This will give you a form with all of the basics, include your much desired "Author" box :)

Let me know what you guys think!

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum