Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: Best Starcraft roleplay creator awards
Best Starcraft roleplay creator awards
Feb 1 2009, 5:40 am
By: lSHaDoW-FoXl
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Polls
The best Rp maker?
The best Rp maker?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
Shmidley 15

39%
Laura 2

6%
None.
Excalibur 6

16%
None.
Admiral_Ramirez 0

0%
None.
Sie_Sayoka 1

3%
Volcolve99 2

6%
Leader-Mad 1

3%
None.
CMSF-FEVER 1

3%
None.
Vrael 11

29%
Natalya 0

0%
None.
Please login to vote.
Poll has 39 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Feb 2 2009, 12:50 am A_of-s_t Post #21

aka idmontie

I voted Excal' 'cause his maps own.

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Feb 2 2009, 12:57 am Excalibur Post #22

The sword and the faith

Quote from A_of-s_t
I voted Excal' 'cause his maps own.
Thank you sir.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Feb 2 2009, 1:24 am Demented Shaman Post #23

The only reason Excalibur will win this poll is because he's the only one of those people that's active here so a lot of the people who know nothing about RP will just vote him.

None.

Feb 2 2009, 1:29 am A_of-s_t Post #24

aka idmontie

Quote from name:Barack Obama
The only reason Excalibur will win this poll is because he's the only one of those people that's active here so a lot of the people who know nothing about RP will just vote him.
I've seen and played a few RPs and Excal's offers better terrain then most. Most of the time, people don't pay attention to names or stupid gimmicks.

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Feb 2 2009, 1:48 am lSHaDoW-FoXl Post #25

My my, I've had Excalibur AND Laura come here? How intriguing! Now all we need is Vrael then things would really get interesting! I also wish to inform votes will end by Tuesday, 5:00 PM. (Originally I wanted 6:66 but the clock is a picky bastard) By then...someone will claim the wonderful awesomeness that is the "Best Roleplay Creator Award!" (Don't tell anyone but it's really the Ark Of The Covenant)

Originally I was thinking of the date being Wednesday, but I decided Tuesday seeing that Wednesday is overused for almost any date for people to submit things. And I know this is slightly off topic, but...does anyone know how we gain minerals now?

None.

Feb 2 2009, 3:33 am Esponeo Post #26

The level of ignorance you have displayed here is quite grotesque. Of the people you listed, only half of them are actually RP map makers:

Volcove99 (Sacred Realm, Volc's World series)
Shmidley (Phantasia, Antiem, Treboria, Darisen, St. Marissa)
Vrael (Feyvern, Lathirion)
PhantomSkyfire (Ticondera, Irradiated Earth)
Leader--Mad-- (Land of Ancients, Last Stand, Shadow Realm, Insidious Wilds, possibly more...)

You missed several other good choices:
Beardo (Prophecies, Everlore)
TDT-Darkfire (Age of Skorm)
Freedumb (Land of the Free)
Zenithan (Realm of Antioch, GERP)
SauRoN[LoTRc] (Ealtrong World)
Temp(MC) (Age of Astara)
The_Dead_One (Neoteric Genesis)

The rest of the people you included are not map makers. Excalibur and Laura co-author extremely shitty maps using either Vrael or Phantom's triggers. Excalibur throws the terrain together in a few hours, creating (by his own admission) complete garbage maps that no one would ever want to play. Laura helps by doing the names, which she reads directly from a spreadsheet given to her by Shmidley.

Sie_Sayoka is along the lines of 0blivion, a joker using stolen triggers who creates maps in minutes by slapping down square terrain randomly.

Admiral_Ramirez and Natalya, as far as I am aware, never did any actual work to GERP beyond renaming units and perhaps slightly modifying the terrain. The map itself is stolen. _____ Apparently Natalya is actually The_Dead_One who may actually have made maps legitimately.

Most of the information you included regarding individual RP Makers is completely wrong.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 2 2009, 3:59 am by Esponeo.

None.

Feb 2 2009, 3:48 am Riney Post #27

Thigh high affectionado

Quote from lSHaDoW-FoXl
My my, I've had Excalibur AND Laura come here?

And for the longest time Ex has been coming on my Teamspeak [/selfishadvertisement]

Quote from Esponeo
The level of ignorance you have displayed here is quite grotesque. Of the people you listed, only half of them are actually RP map makers:

For once I think hes right, when other times Ive doubted him

Quote from lSHaDoW-FoXl
...someone will claim the wonderful awesomeness that is the "Best Roleplay Creator Award!"

I dont think they care about someone whos so new to this community giving them an award such as this. Not to mention half of them are dead/missing/gone/stopped mapping/dont give 2 shits/etc...

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Feb 2 2009, 3:48 am Syphon Post #28

For the love of god, stop abusing the color bbcode.

None.

Feb 2 2009, 3:53 am Esponeo Post #29

For once I think hes right, when other times Ive doubted him
I'm always right. Too bad the meaning of my words is often lost in translation.

None.

Feb 2 2009, 4:36 am lSHaDoW-FoXl Post #30

Actually, you are quite wrong. Sorry! You see, most of the people you find should've been there only made ONE map, a good map yes, but that's still only ONE map in the end. The people I listed were not focused on all just making one map, but instead on big contributions which actually altered SC RPS to some extent, in entirely different ways each.

First I shall begin with Sie Sayoka. I my self wasn't quite sure if I shoudl've placed him/her there, because you are quite right about Sie Sayoka having a history in stealing maps. I recall once when Sie Sayoka stole a map from a friend of mine, my friend who made Zombie Apocalypse. This map Sie Sayoka changed its name to "Undead City." and did nothing else.

ALSO though, from what I assume Sie Sayoka was the first person to use DA spawners, and even more so 3D terrain. It's arguable that anyone that used any terrain even a bit 3D (like Age Of Skorm and Vrael) at least borrowed the idea from Sie. That aside, Laura I find has a perfect reason.

I mean, you find TEMP(MC) should be there, yet he has only made one map, and in that map CCMU can be caused easily if you like to make a nice city. Meanwhile Laura made the first Installation Rp, and aside from that the rp is pretty damn good. Or, to be more accurate it's hit or miss. By a lot of people it's not very popular due to the absence of being able to build buildings, and at the same time it's not popular because it's quite strict in regards to some other rps. Still though. And I do not find that she rips of Vrael, especially considering her damn map came way before Feyvern did. (Station 37 came around the time when GERP 4.0 was at it's prime)

Excalibur is quite good at terrain. If you look at terrain section in some topics you'll find he actually is regarded quite highly in his works in terrain, and aside from that he helped in numerous projects, and his rps are quite good.

Admiral Ramirez, I believed he/she made 4.0, with Natalya (*who is The_Undead_One*) who was in charge of triggers.

Now, I can see why you say against my choices, everyone has a difference in opinion. But it appears you yourself are quite absent in facts as well, and clearly it's foolish to say a "One Hit Wonder" deserves to be here as opposed to someone which actually shaped how SC Rps are today.

I was quite considering about Beardo, but at the same time however Roleplaying only got more popular when Volcs came, and putting him and Volcs would be slightly contradictory. So before you say I'm ignorant, and even more so say I'm wrong you may wish to offer more map makers then ones whom only made ONE damn roleplay. I played some pretty damn good SINGLE maps which nearly almost no one has ever heard of.

Now, me and you probably should stop arguing because from the looks of it you're conceited (like me) and obviously two conceited people arguing ain't too pretty.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 2 2009, 4:44 am by lSHaDoW-FoXl.

None.

Feb 2 2009, 4:58 am Esponeo Post #31

ALSO though, from what I assume Sie Sayoka was the first person to use DA spawners, and even more so 3D terrain. It's arguable that anyone that used any terrain even a bit 3D (like Age Of Skorm and Vrael) at least borrowed the idea from Sie. That aside, Laura I find has a perfect reason.
Sayoka is not capable of making the innovations you have credited him with. The Dark Archon spawners were not his idea. All terrain in Age of Skorm or Vrael's maps is made using WoodenFire's blends, which have been compiled by Shmidley into a Jungle Terrain Index map. WoodenFire should receive all credit for pushing extended terrain blending on the Jungle tileset.

And I do not find that she rips of Vrael, especially considering her damn map came way before Feyvern did.
I listed Vrael and/or PhantomSkyfire since I could not remember which triggers Laura used. Its still not any work on Laura's part.

Excalibur is quite good at terrain.
Not according to him, myself, and by extension any of the original talented terrainers.

Now, I can see why you say against my choices, everyone has a difference in opinion. But it appears you yourself are quite absent in facts as well, and clearly it's foolish to say a "One Hit Wonder" deserves to be here as opposed to someone which actually shaped how SC Rps are today.
One hit wonders have shaped SC RPs. If you want to track the most widely hosted maps, it would go something like this:

Leader--Mad-- (Last Stand, others?)
Zenithan (Realm of Antioch)
Volcove99 (Sacred Realm, Volc's World series)
Sie_Sayoka (Mrekalis, Faol)
Shmidley (Antiem, Treboria)
PhantomSkyfire (Ticondera)
Vrael (Feyvern)

GERP and Urban Warfare were hosted a lot. I have not tracked modern/future RPs very much.

If you want to talk about innovation...
Zenithan popularized the Observer spawner.
Volcove created the first spawner mover, popularized the inclusion of sound, bombs, and explosion effects.
Freedumb was the first to allow extensive building disabling.
Beardo had the first multi-unit spawns.
Shmidley had the first extensive use of AI Scripts, special terrain modification, modifiable option cooldown and spawner choice, working portals, and popularized un-abusable ban options.
El_Lord.Dragon had the first use of Place COP beacons to start out a map.
TK(o)Archangel had the first "quick" options.
Big(HC)duncs_878 had the first modifiable effect size.
Vrael had the first placeable special effects.
PhantomSkyfire popularized the Arbiter spawner.

I can't recall who to give credit to for first including unit stacking.

None.

Feb 2 2009, 5:19 am lSHaDoW-FoXl Post #32

Laura doesn't necessarily rip off Phantom or Vrael though, do you actually have any proof? I never liked Urban Warfare, and the reason why that map was hosted a lot was because of a few reasons.

1. There aren't a lot of Modern Rps.
2. The concept alone attracts people.

I also wish to state none of the "One Hit Wonders" you named were one hit wonders.

One hit wonders doesn't mean it was their greatest work of art, it just means they only made one good thing.

Leader-Mad- made plenty of good maps >.>

None.

Feb 2 2009, 5:50 am Esponeo Post #33

Laura doesn't necessarily rip off Phantom or Vrael though, do you actually have any proof?
Laura was given a horrible, broken, shitty set of triggers by Phantom. Laura then continued to use those triggers, despite the fact that they don't actually work at all. Not even Phantom ever used those triggers. These triggers are used in all of Laura's maps. Station 37 / 39 are the closest things to actual work Laura has ever done. In the newer stuff, Excalibur has hastily slapped together very poorly done terrain and the names are stolen from a spreadsheet made by Shmidley.

None.

Feb 2 2009, 7:31 am BlueFalcon Post #34

Here's why I don't like excalibur's terrain on the RP's... it's too crowded. It'd be like trying to rp on the Crecent Dyne terrain. Albeit it's pretty, but it's also crowded.

And the only RP that matters is "Love Hotel"... if anyone remembers it... >.> <.<.

None.

Feb 2 2009, 7:55 am Esponeo Post #35

And the only RP that matters is "Love Hotel"... if anyone remembers it... >.> <.<.
Of course.

None.

Feb 2 2009, 8:32 am TriggR_HappE Post #36

Quote from BlueFalcon

Prime example of why RPs should be rated on a scale of -10 to -1.

None.

Feb 2 2009, 9:58 am BlueFalcon Post #37

Most RPers are godmoders, or would rather just do a battle with masses of units. The thing that always turns me off is, weather it be station 37 someone saying, "Someone be the infected so we have bad guys!" Because there's other options besides that. Or to the Fantasy being the good guys will always win. Which is why I don't really play them anymore. I've tried. I've given up however, as it feels like I'm playing with a bunch of 3rd graders, which may or may not be that far off from the truth.

I think I'd be happier if someone took more of a GM/DM/REFEREE position, and delegated roles. I need two people to be heroes, one good town, one bad town, and two heroes for the bad town. Here is the goal, there are three magic crystals that hold ultimate power if used in the wrong hands. The heroes goal is to get them before the bad guys get them: Go go rp.

But it never happens that way. And it doesn't have to even be that cheesey of a story. Just someone to guide the rp in a good direction, versus the chaos and lack of anything that I always seem to get. Another turn off is if they do do turn based battles, and they do stuff like, "Raptor Strike" "Ninjitsu 5" "Naruto Move X" and I have to wince. Maybe it's because I've done rp on muds/mucks/mu*s and expect more.

I've gotten better RP's out of Hostage Negotiation EASILY. And the whole Love Hotel was a joke thing, but I remember saying F it when it was popular a long time ago, only to learn to my horror about cyb0ring. Such a shady hotel.

---------------------------------------------------

But this is about favorite rp map makers, and I voted for Vrael. I like his terrain, and the console is pretty standard. There's not a whole lot of ways to do it, and Vraels is pretty good. Unit names are meh, because sometimes it seems like it'd be better if there were no names, just simple (E) (H) (L) tags. This goes for all maps for me anyways...

None.

Feb 2 2009, 7:26 pm Esponeo Post #38

I think I'd be happier if someone took more of a GM/DM/REFEREE position, and delegated roles. I need two people to be heroes, one good town, one bad town, and two heroes for the bad town. Here is the goal, there are three magic crystals that hold ultimate power if used in the wrong hands. The heroes goal is to get them before the bad guys get them: Go go rp.
I can attest that having one person being the primary caretaker of the overall story is a very effective way to go about having a grand old time. Of course, I am always that one guy, so perhaps everyone else actually hates it and they're just humoring me.

None.

Feb 2 2009, 9:14 pm lSHaDoW-FoXl Post #39

This is to Blue, since it appears we suffer the same problems. Of course though, I have seen numerous others suffer the same. And already I'll assume you're skilled Rper. Most Rpers aren't Godmodders, and I say this because a lot of people that actually do rp probably aren't worth being called "Roleplayers."

And I especially find it annoying when people say ''Bad Guys.'' I my self am a realist, and I hate ANY plot that has a ''bad guy.'' I myself am usually the plots antagonist (Or as the idiots say, ''Bad Guy.'') and the reasons behind his/her motives will often times span beyond him just being an evil dumbass who just wants to torment people because he's ''bad.'' And usually my antagonists are dignified. And you're very right on how the protagonists always wins. I've only had very few roleplays where an antagonist won, and they were pretty grim rps.

The secret to this is that they were private rps.

I'm not quite sure about your delegation idea, it is good in theory. There is definitely control over the plot, at the same time though the one doing such may be a bossy dick head, and will attempt to control the plot entirely, making it only HIS story with everyone else just being there for little to no reason. and aside from that, I've noticed on how there are different types of rpers.

There are Bitchy hardcore rpers (The Follow my fucking plot or else Ban.)
There is the Literate Professional. (Stuck up, often times very skilled well whine if things don't go according to plan)
City Builder. These are the people that'll take one to two hours to make a town (Me.)
and numerous others.

I like Rp's when they have Turn based and Real time battles, but they have to go fluently with the plot, they can't just be there for no reason. But obviously, not all rps require any action. I had some Rps that was entirely character driven.

And Yes, I find Anime References are retarded as well.. I hate it when people say anything Naruto related (That's the reference I always notice, thanks to tards.) And their are many reasons why I disdain such quotes, they're unoriginal, and I don't fucking want to see anything Naruto related when I'm supposedly in this other realm.

If you can, Stay away from Naruto-Fox. Apparently his idea of a good plot is -

''I'm a Darklord! My intentions are to take over the world.''

The reason behind this is just because he wants to take over the world, nothing else. Ugh. and I also assume his name is ripping off mine, considering that anyone that has a Naruto Mentality seems to enjoy ripping things off.

None.

Feb 2 2009, 11:19 pm l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #40

Just here for the activity... well not really

I avoid public RPs, or whenever I'm in one, I just make a hero and go to sleep until the other people finish.
I've had my fair share of private RPs, which are better because not only do you play with people you fucking know, you can also save the game if "shit g2g", and actually play the saved! (The concept of saved games being PLAYED! Holy shit!)

Also, I don't like Laura/Ex's give2computer system. It was acceptable in Stations, where you couldn't build at all, but now it feels obsolete with hacks :P Besides, why can't you just build NEXT to the cliff and not right on it? :P

In more off topic, in case Vrael decides to drop by here, there is a glitch in the Fey/Lath console where the banner/giver ling teleports to the portal creating area.

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum