Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Production > Topic: A map called Wonder
A map called Wonder
Jan 29 2009, 7:44 am
By: qPirateKing
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 >

Aug 17 2009, 1:53 pm New-Guy Post #81

Well, since my own RPG isn't going too great, I would love to be a partner of yours qPK.
I just don't wanna be a dead-weight, which I might be if I am...

But as for idea's, I might be able to help you out if you need them. I always have a few bouncing around.

None.

Aug 17 2009, 3:43 pm lil-Inferno Post #82

Just here for the pie

I'm great with ideas. If you ever need any, just give me a small example and I can pump out some ideas for you.

Aug 17 2009, 6:46 pm qPirateKing Post #83

OK, I appreciate the willingness to help. If you do want to contribute, the first thing I need is an idea for a boss. Before you start throwing out ideas, make sure you have played through the map that I have attached. You will need to play it to get an idea for how the gameplay works. The sample map ends with the first boss. Save when you enter the room because the debug will cause you to become trapped if you die. Also, please note that the map should be played in an empty lan room to avoid latency issues or center view problems.

Now, what I need is an idea for a boss at the bottom of an old abandoned mine. The room is not very big -- about the size of the first boss room.

Feel free to ask for more details if you have any questions.

Attachments:
081709.scx
Hits: 176 Size: 135.89kb

None.

Aug 17 2009, 6:53 pm darksnow Post #84

oh btw, the forces and scneario title+description are still unchanged ^^
ok i've played it and i like most of it. the glitch with the boss room is kinda annoying.
im pretty sure the mineral chunks are items, as i see the scvs holding them, but if i stand next to it nothing happens, and they have 800 hp, and i cant wait for the zlot to attack 800 times.
the shield thing is a bit glitchy, and its hard to tell whether you've really blocked the attacks or not.
in the first room, with the 2 lurkers, they dont seem to damage you, its really wierd. i didn't have to run to that little space in the wall to hide, i just went straight up to the egg and it worked.
there should be a way to show how many arrows you have left.(or if there is make it easier to tel cause i cant find it) nvm im blind
in the beginning its a bit confusing, so a little backstory would be nice, because i had no idea what i was supposed to do.
it'll also be nice if there was some sort of label to tell you what is the store
oh and, it'd be nice if i knew what the hell the scvs were holding

well thats it for now, ima replay and see if i can find anything new

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Aug 17 2009, 7:47 pm by darksnow.

None.

Aug 17 2009, 7:58 pm payne Post #85

:payne:

qPK, would you mind to answer my PMs? :P
I hope I'll be able to help you out ;)

P.S. I see you Lethal :O Post or die :)

None.

Aug 17 2009, 8:15 pm darksnow Post #86

there really needs to be some sort of indicator for whether your shield is up or not.
maybe whenever your shield is up your character has full shield or something, because it gets annoying when i think im blocking but im not

None.

Aug 17 2009, 9:05 pm New-Guy Post #87

For me, I had some odd problems.
I couldn't figure out how to get the shield to work. In fact, I still can't.
It says to hold down Q, and it'll put up the shield. That part works okay. My problem, is that no matter if my shield is down or up, it doesn't seem to be blocking any damage from the two lurkers that I'm supposed to dodge past.
This might just be because the shield doesn't work against them though, so I'm not sure.

None.

Aug 17 2009, 9:52 pm darksnow Post #88

i dont think shield is supposed to block against the 2 lurkers.
thers a little niche in the wall where you have to run there. after you do, time against the lurker attack and run to the egg and kill it

None.

Aug 17 2009, 10:33 pm qPirateKing Post #89

Darksnow, the reason a lot of the things are the way they are is because I haven't gotten around to triggering them yet. The mineral chunks are supposed to be healing items, but they are place holders at the moment because I haven't done the triggers yet. This is nowhere near a finished product and so there are a lot of things that I have not changed at all (map description, forces, unit names, etc.) those things will come eventually, so save your concern. You are correct about the lurkers and the shield.

I think it's pretty easy to tell when you're blocking. You're either holding Q or you aren't. If that's not enough, check your sound options and make sure subtitles are enabled. There is a text display, but I made it so that you can turn it off by disabling subtitles.

New guy, the lurkers do splash damage, so the shield does not work against them. I made sure I noted that in the shield "tutorial."

Generally speaking, the map is still in the stage where I'm putting together the core systems. The dialog and the names are placeholders, and the story is still pending. I appreciate your concerns, but I was not asking for help in those areas.

None.

Aug 18 2009, 12:24 am Craftstar2 Post #90

Is the first boss done? I never got around to find out how to beat it. I shot arrows at the overlord but it didn't do anything (even when the overlord became yellow and recalled). I shot arrows at the eggs and all it did were kill them.

But it's pretty fun :) I like the shield system. I just don't like how sometimes when u turn your shield off your zealot takes at least a second to respond and attack.

None.

Aug 19 2009, 10:46 am Ahli Post #91

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

after 8 minutes I found out that the lurker was killable :D
then it was quite easy ;P

Aug 19 2009, 12:05 pm Neki Post #92

That first boss is kinda hard. I guess it would be easier if I didn't have to restart everytime I died because I spawned outside of the room, but that's besides the point. It's very micro-intensive to say the least, because you need to draw the bow, shoot the arrow, move the zealot far enough away to get rid of the bow and then attack the lurker all in like 3 seconds. Withdrawing the bow is kinda iffy right now, because half the time it stays out and I try attacking the lurker and it doesn't work. It's do-able though, and it's a nice change of pace (a hard one, but still kinda fun.) The only part I don't like is when the boss goes on a streak of spawning 6 sets of eggs in a row, that's a bit annoying. But besides that, the map was nice and the shield function was also cool too.

None.

Aug 19 2009, 2:19 pm Kaias Post #93

I think you guys are missing the point of his showing you that.

None.

Aug 19 2009, 8:06 pm SetoKaze Post #94

Uhh yeah I don't think you guys are actually getting the point of him showing that map. He doesn't want you guys to find bugs or what he's missing so far or most of the stuff he hasn't even finished yet. What he wants is an idea for a boss and the people he is asking for isn't for testers but for people that will help by giving him ideas throughout the map to get him out of these dead-ends where his creativity is at a dead-stop. So in this case, he is asking for an idea for a boss . I'll quote his words for anyone else who didn't read and skipped right to the attachment instead and started spewing stuff that he doesn't quite necessarily need.

Quote from qPirateKing
In a nutshell, here's the problem: I've been busy. A cross-country relocation for graduate school has been finalised and will be taking place within the month. And uh, pro SC takes a lot of time to keep track of. On top of that, I'm pretty dry creatively. I can't sit down and plan out what the map needs. Like I've been trying to come up with a boss for a dungeon, and nothing I can come up with feels like it's good enough.

I want to finish the map though. I think I've got a pretty good start, and I'd hate to see it go to waste. So, I propose a partnership! If anyone is willing and able to sit down and plan out the map with me, that would be awesome. I actually don't mind doing terrain, triggering, etc. The problem is that I can't really do that if I don't have any direction.

If you are willing to put a lot of thought into a project, let me know. You'll get your name in the credits any everything. I'll also be giving you access to the map in its current working state. Remember though, it's going to take more than a half-hearted effort on your part. I have enough of that already.
Quote from qPirateKing
OK, I appreciate the willingness to help. If you do want to contribute, the first thing I need is an idea for a boss. Before you start throwing out ideas, make sure you have played through the map that I have attached. You will need to play it to get an idea for how the gameplay works. The sample map ends with the first boss. Save when you enter the room because the debug will cause you to become trapped if you die. Also, please note that the map should be played in an empty lan room to avoid latency issues or center view problems.

Now, what I need is an idea for a boss at the bottom of an old abandoned mine. The room is not very big -- about the size of the first boss room.

Feel free to ask for more details if you have any questions.

None.

Aug 19 2009, 10:17 pm samsizzle Post #95

Okay I played it and i think, with the atmosphere of what i played so far and the atmosphere that i imagine would be in an abandoned mine, there should be an underground lake where they stopped mining because they all got slaughtered by a monster that lives in the caves beneath the lake. The hero should go into the room where the lake is and it will be all quiet and eery and when he walks up to the lake the monster springs out and roars and it displays the name of the monster. I think it should be some sort of blind tentacle crab thing so a gaurdian sounds good. The gaurdian could have spells where it spawns parasites (scourges) that fly over to you and paralyze you or something. Thats all i can think of for now.

None.

Aug 19 2009, 11:46 pm qPirateKing Post #96

Samsizzle, that's not a bad idea. But I think I'll keep it for a later dungeon (the water based one).

I think I should give some more information about the level for which I am trying to create a boss. As with the first dungeon, you will be adding a tool to your arsenal in the second. In this case, you will be getting the ability to lay vision-providing spider mines. This is because the mine is very dark and you will not have shared vision with yourself. Anyway, I want the boss room to be totally dark as well. You should have to use the mines in some way, but bear in mind that the mines will not pop up and attack the boss.

None.

Aug 20 2009, 1:08 am darksnow Post #97

why not have it be the ghost of a miner who died there?
just throwing out random stuff ^^

None.

Aug 20 2009, 5:22 am New-Guy Post #98

I think that, whatever the boss ends up being, he should have the ability to attack your spider mines.

You know, maybe your character and the boss starts to fight, then the mine starts to cave in. You then have to rush out of the cave, and beat the boss to the exit, or else he'll lock you inside the (collapsing) caves.

None.

Aug 20 2009, 5:28 am darksnow Post #99

no actually it should be more of, in the bosses dying breath, he collapses the mine, and you have say, 2 minutes to beat the traps and rush out or you lose.

None.

Aug 20 2009, 1:57 pm lil-Inferno Post #100

Just here for the pie

Perhaps have the boss able to light things on fire or breathe fire, and the advantage of the fire is that it gives you vision, though it can also damage you. During the boss fight you would have to take advantage of this. If you touch fire, you will light on fire (giving you vision, of course) and receive damage over time (have a Wraith appear above the player's head to attack him/her until the fire burns out, or the player goes near a small pond of water that spilled in some time during the story due to the mine being old and susceptible to leaks.) Also, have areas for the player to take cover behind in order to avoid fireballs. Eventually the boss will run out of mana/fire/life juice, and will cease fire (bad pun, but whatever) for about a minute, in which time the spider mines must be used. The fire would also destroy spider mines, making them almost useless in a few segments of the boss. I'm about milked dry for anything more for this boss fight, but I hope you like the suggestion ^^. It's not really fully fleshed out, but yeah...

Options
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 >
  Back to forum