Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: programming; databases
programming; databases
Sep 21 2007, 3:45 am
By: Sauceover  

Sep 21 2007, 3:45 am Sauceover Post #1

in essence, i want to know how professionally-made databases work and how to make my own.

my experience includes a course in VB and a little bit of experimentation in java with guidance from a java book. i'm already familiar with the very basic concepts of syntax, data types, loops, arrays and such. i know about advanced algorithms, data structures, and OOP, but not adept at them.

one of the guys in my programming class said custom databases are very valued by companies and learning how to make them is a good step.

just to get started...what language do most professional programmers prefer(if this is too broad, what would be the best language for making databases?)?

None.

Sep 21 2007, 5:16 pm Kow Post #2

SQL, usually mySQL.

Syntax is hella easy, SELECT * [or choose a column name like Name or ID, * meaning everything] FROM [table] WHERE [item] = [value] AND [item2] > [value]

I can't remember how to add stuff to the tables, as I learned it 2 years ago, very basic shit, and I haven't used it since.

None.

Sep 21 2007, 6:30 pm Sauceover Post #3

SQL is a specialized language and mySQL is an implementation of it? is that the proper distinction?

None.

Sep 21 2007, 7:14 pm l3lack-l3ahamut Post #4

I believe mySQL acts as a compiler for it? Or at least it is used to write the code in.

None.

Sep 21 2007, 8:32 pm Kow Post #5

I think it's that SQL and mySQL are very similar languages, with only slight nuances that separate them, so if you know one, in essence, you know the other.

None.

Sep 21 2007, 10:28 pm Sauceover Post #6

so...do programmers do 'tricks' to optimize it or do they just use the base libraries and just customize the layouts and such for the customer?

None.

Sep 21 2007, 11:21 pm Forsaken Archer Post #7

I honestly don't know how to anwser your questions.

Your choice in database depends on what code you are using, generally. If you are doing vB, you will probably use ms access / mssql... if you are doing php, mysql is your best choice, if you are writting a program for banks, oracle, asp you might use mssql.
SQL is... erm... the language for statements to the database. It just generally the guidelines for syntax use, I believe.

As far as "customized database for customers"... i dunno wtf... If you are writing a program, your database will just be as customized and unique as the program itself, because it all depends on your needs. You aren't going to use SEN's forum database for an online game like runescape.

None.

Sep 21 2007, 11:39 pm Sauceover Post #8

sorry, i'm just inexperienced, so i don't know how most people do things and what 'things'(actual programs, protocols, etc.) exist. i'll try to start asking questions from the bottom.

so, i decided to start working on my database project and open up my [insert language here] IDE...where do i go from here?

Q:

when you say 'database' are you referring to a pre-made program, or just a set of standard protocols?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 21 2007, 11:46 pm by Sauceover.

None.

Sep 22 2007, 2:03 am Kow Post #9

Database as in you 'create' the database in enter information, or have scripts, like this forum does, to enter information.

Take the forums for example. IP may create a table called Forums, and make a script with php or whatever he uses, to add entries to that table based on the data input by users, say TitleOfTopic, PostCount and as I'm entering now, Post.

None.

Sep 22 2007, 2:10 am Sauceover Post #10

well, i was wondering more about the actual mechanism that holds the actual data. like, where is the actual variable. is it encapsulated within a program that has its own get/set functions and sorting algorithms or is it stored in a array/data structure where, by following standardized protocols, it can be easily searched and found.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 22 2007, 3:13 am by Sauceover.

None.

Sep 23 2007, 4:16 am Sauceover Post #11

help?

None.

Sep 23 2007, 2:58 pm fatimid08 Post #12

A database is managed by a program such as MySql, Microsoft SQL Server, Microft Access (a big no-no if you plan on making something really big), Oracle, etc. These programs can interpret a query language called SQL and exchange data with you. Most of the programs extend SQL with some proprietary commands.

A database is basically a file containing a whole bunch of data structures that database programs parse, interpret, and use queries on.

Most programming languages give you a wrapper to make database work easier and more secure (the mysql extension in php, ADO.Net in the .Net framework, ADO in VB6 and ASP, etc.).

Most database programs will allow you to store queries directly in the database and have a function-like calling mechanism for them in SQL. Using stored procedures is usually faster than creating a query dinamically and sending it to the database program to compile and execute, because stored procedures are precompiled.

Hope that helps.

None.

Sep 23 2007, 6:35 pm Sauceover Post #13

thanks alot, that was exactly what i was looking for(and then some...) :D

None.

Sep 26 2007, 2:51 pm Pyro-Fire Post #14

Go learn a real language.

None.

Sep 26 2007, 3:53 pm Sauceover Post #15

...and if you need to make a database...

None.

Options
  Back to forum