Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
I use Dvorak 2

5%
None.
I use Qwerty 39

96%
None.
Please login to vote.
Poll has 41 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Dec 17 2008, 6:44 am cheeze Post #21

Quote from Jello-Jigglers
Quote from name:
Few people use their thumbs and pinkies as often as the middle three fingers. I use them, but not a lot. Thumb almost never, right pinky for.. delete, enter, and left pinky exclusively for a. I think.
You never capitalize anything?? How to do question marks w/o using both pinkies?
Move your entire hand over.

Quote from name:
I can see how the layout makes sense, since the most used letters are in an area where they are easily reachable, but since I already type around 65 words a minute on a qwerty keyboard, I don't feel a need to switch to another one :P
I type 80 and I'm still considering switching. My friend that switched is already back up to 75 in about 3 weeks.
But what if some of us type at like 130 with 99% accuracy already? *shows off*

None.

Dec 17 2008, 6:59 am DT_Battlekruser Post #22

Interesting. I took a few typing tests and find that I type between 70 and 80 wpm, but with (I knew this part) about four times more errors than is acceptable (4-8/min).

None.

Dec 17 2008, 1:25 pm EzDay281 Post #23

Sorry, then I can "touch type". I don't do the whole five-finger thing that you were supposed to learn when you learned how to type.
Oh, pff. That's totally different. D:
My keyboard teacher in Middle School decided that I didn't have to do anything in the class ( though I had to stay, as it was mandatory ) , because she knew I already typed faster than any of the other kids there, and I haven't taken lessons.
I can type in close to an "ordinary" manner through muscle memory.
I can see how the layout makes sense, since the most used letters are in an area where they are easily reachable, but since I already type around 65 words a minute on a qwerty keyboard, I don't feel a need to switch to another one :P
65wpm? That's slow. :P
You never capitalize anything?? How to do question marks w/o using both pinkies?
I use my middle/ring fingers for shift, and my index for slash. But I'm weird.

I just type with whatever finger happens to be closest to the key I want at the moment, for the most part. Exceptions mostly being when it would take a digit far from where I'm used to it being ( i.e., ring finger stays near backspace ) . It works out fairly well ( 90-120 wpm typical, and I can maintain 130 if I want to ) .

None.

Dec 17 2008, 4:07 pm DT_Battlekruser Post #24

I just type with whatever finger happens to be closest to the key I want at the moment, for the most part. Exceptions mostly being when it would take a digit far from where I'm used to it being ( i.e., ring finger stays near backspace ) . It works out fairly well ( 90-120 wpm typical, and I can maintain 130 if I want to ) .

Sounds sort of like what I do, except my left hand is pretty anemic and I usually only use the index finger on it (I should probably work on fixing this, since whenever something stays on the left side of the keyboard I slow way down). I use my index and middle fingers on the right hand, plus right thumb for space. I generally start getting errors because I am not very exact so I either move over a row or column and start typing transposed or I land in the middle of two keys.

QWERTY is probably a better layout for me since the alternation between keyboard sides lets me get away with only one finger on the left hand.

None.

Dec 17 2008, 11:09 pm Biophysicist Post #25

Quote from Phobos
On a side note, the first test conversation I ever messed up with in StarEdit involved Fenix saying qwerty. I lol'd.
What?

Myself, I use the qwerty thing, just because I don't see any point to switching. I have a fine keyboard right now. Why buy a new one?

None.

Dec 17 2008, 11:34 pm Falkoner Post #26

Lol, you guys are totally lying about your WPM, journalists and such don't even type that fast, 80 is pushing it, but 120? Psh..

None.

Dec 17 2008, 11:38 pm Biophysicist Post #27

In the keyboarding class they made everyone do in the first couple of years of school, the record WPM was about 70... So you might be wrong there, Falk. :P

Then again, the "words" were very simple ones like "cat", so it might be artificially high.

None.

Dec 17 2008, 11:48 pm Falkoner Post #28

Then again, the "words" were very simple ones like "cat", so it might be artificially high.

Yeah, try doing a test where you're typing a college paper out with plenty of punctuation and such.

None.

Dec 18 2008, 12:18 am Centreri Post #29

Relatively ancient and inactive

http://www.typeonline.co.uk/typingspeed.php
I just ran through a tester, I did 103 WPM without mistakes with QWERTY. I think I'm fine ;). EDIT: Took it again, I made a mistake but corrected it and got 103 again. Yay me.
Ezday, try that test. Cheeze, same.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Dec 18 2008, 12:30 am by Centreri.

None.

Dec 18 2008, 12:24 am Vi3t-X Post #30

I took Centreri's testing thingy and got 93WPM using QWERTY. Am I fine too? :omfg:

None.

Dec 18 2008, 12:36 am Centreri Post #31

When I took the alphanumeric one: http://typeonline.co.uk/typingspeed_alpha_numeric.php?
I only got 60, and one mistake. Ouch.

None.

Dec 18 2008, 12:43 am ForTheSwarm Post #32

I did that test from Google. I got 65 wpm with 1 mistake.

None.

Dec 18 2008, 2:37 am EzDay281 Post #33

I have a fine keyboard right now. Why buy a new one?
What does buying a keyboard have to do with using a dvorak format? >.>
Lol, you guys are totally lying about your WPM, journalists and such don't even type that fast, 80 is pushing it, but 120? Psh..
Either your information is poor, or the tests they're taking are twice as hard as ours. ;o
97wpm, one mistake. I've been lifting weights/exercising a couple hours ago, which leaves my fingers sore, and I just got back from a grocery store ( at 26 degrees outside ) .

edit: hay, I just realized that rhymed!

None.

Dec 18 2008, 3:23 am DT_Battlekruser Post #34

Quote from Centreri
http://www.typeonline.co.uk/typingspeed.php
I just ran through a tester, I did 103 WPM without mistakes with QWERTY. I think I'm fine ;). EDIT: Took it again, I made a mistake but corrected it and got 103 again. Yay me.

71 wpm, and one mistake because apparently I can't read stupid British words :P Although that test lets you go back and correct your errors, which I did from time to time.

None.

Dec 18 2008, 3:29 am Centreri Post #35

It does, but that decreases your wpm. I liked it because it was hard. And I've trumped everyone so far :P.

No real reason for me to switch from QWERTY.

None.

Dec 18 2008, 3:43 am DT_Battlekruser Post #36

I always thought that >60 wpm was an accomplishment, and had no Idea that I could type over it :P

None.

Dec 18 2008, 4:47 am Falkoner Post #37

97wpm, one mistake. I've been lifting weights/exercising a couple hours ago, which leaves my fingers sore, and I just got back from a grocery store ( at 26 degrees outside ) .

Excuses, excuses.. :bleh:

None.

Dec 18 2008, 7:36 am BeDazed Post #38

Your speed was: 94wpm.

Congratulations! You made no mistakes, practice does make perfect.

In the breathless stillness of a tropical afternoon, when the air was hot and heavy, and the sky brazen and cloudless, the shadow of the Malabar lay solitary on the surface of the glittering sea. The sun - who rose on the left hand every morning a blazing ball, to move slowly through the unbearable blue, until he sank fiery red in mingling glories of sky and ocean to the right hand - had just got low enough to peep beneath the awning that covered the poop-deck, and awaken a young man, in an undress military uniform who was dozing on a coil of rope.

I think I make too many mistakes- so it makes my wpm considerable lower for what I really type.

None.

Dec 18 2008, 8:20 pm Vi3t-X Post #39

Hah, I found a flaw in that system. Lookie lookie!

Your speed was: 420wpm.

Congratulations! You made no mistakes, practice does make perfect.

GHANA Population (m) 20.2 GDP ($bn) 6.2 GDP per head ($PPP) 2,080 Area

None.

Dec 18 2008, 9:57 pm MadZombie Post #40

Quote from EzDay281
I have a fine keyboard right now. Why buy a new one?
What does buying a keyboard have to do with using a dvorak format? >.>
Speaking of buying new keyboards...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinesis_(keyboard)

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum