Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: "Read the bible to believe god exists?"
"Read the bible to believe god exists?"
Dec 10 2008, 6:46 am
By: KrayZee
Pages: < 1 2 3 422 >

Dec 10 2008, 8:43 pm KrayZee Post #21

Quote from BeDazed
God in multi-universe? I could bring a discussion about StarCraft, where the Xel'Naga are considered as gods and creators of both the Zerg and the Protoss. But that's fictional and may happen at other distant stars. Even if gods do exist in other planets, it is likely it is a scientific purposes decided by aliens. It's quite impossible to discover Jesus from them.
What you've said is so incoherent and incomprehensible. You haven't even got my point correctly; why would you even bring such a puny example as to what you're talking about? Christianity's 'God' is much more advanced, sophisticated, and on a much larger scale then another puny race like the 'Xel'Naga'

Also.
If you haven't studied Bible at all, you wouldn't know- but Jesus is not just God's son; he is God itself in the form of a human being. Because our brains were so small at the time, we could only see it as the God's son; and not himself. I've already explained my viewpoint of my Christianity as being liberal and not conservative.
I believe you missed the point what I declared because you are trying to say how Christianity works. I pointed out Xel'Naga because "Xel'Naga" are considered gods and ACTUALLY created the Protoss and the Zerg with a lore speaking Xel'Naga had the technological advancements. And I like to compare things, only to bring up a point. Comparing to "God", I'd ask, where is his technology?

Quote from Pigy_G
You can't have something out of nothing unless there is a creator. Something has to create the scrap pieces, a metalworker doesn't just summon steel and iron out of thin air does he? At the beginning something had to happen to create the earth, if we go by the big bang theory I still say something had to create the tools that were used. I also beleive that the world would be in much more chaos than it is now if God did not exist. The world is too perfect to be created on accident, look at your hand? Do you realize how complex just a square inch of your body is? It's like rolling a 50 billion sided dice once and getting the number you hoped for. God exists. This is what I beleive, The evidence is in the mirror.
What?

In the one hundred years war between England and France, the English thought Joan of Arc is a heretic because she had a vision from god. I'm pretty sure that's very chaotic. The world is not perfect at all, and we had way too much wars in Europe. And lastly, science proves that a "square inch of anyone's body" was made through pregnancy.

Lastly, I advise to take Doodan's advice.

None.

Dec 10 2008, 8:45 pm Fisty Post #22

It's like rolling a 50 billion sided dice once and getting the number you hoped for

You're forgetting the part about how many chances to roll the dice there are. AKA the OTHER planets/solar systems.

None.

Dec 10 2008, 10:56 pm MillenniumArmy Post #23

Quote from Doodan
The reason why people that promote science tend to argue against religion is because SEVERAL of their discoveries go directly against what the Bible explains about the origin of life and its explanation for many other phenomenon. I liken it to the mounting evidence hundreds of years ago that the earth is round and not flat, or that the earth rotated around the sun and not vice versa.
I am going to have to seriously disagree here. People only think scientific discoveries go against such things because they ASSUME said things were mentioned in the Bible. I don't see anywhere in the Bible saying "the Earth is flat and is the center of the world. Believe in this or you go to hell!" The discovery of dinosaurs doesn't make the whole creation account a moot point (well this depends on your interpretation of creationism.) Discovery of floods which may or may not match consistently with the Biblical floods doesn't nulify religion. Evolution does not equal to rendering the Bible and its many many life/spiritual lessons and teachings obsolete.

Like i said earlier, the closest thing science would lock horns with are the first couple Chapters in Genesis which briefly tells of how the world came to be. People only think it would when they interpret the "days" to be literal earth days. In short this would affect many of the beliefs I mentioned in the above paragraph (but do know that a good number of people like myself have learned that these "days" represent metaphors of time.) And what's incredible is that people put so much emphasis on this whole creation thing when the whole point of the bible and its most prominent figures are about something else much much more important. People need to stop over reading or interpreting the littlest and least important or life changing parts of the Bible and pretend that that's what religion is all about.

Scientific findings of things having to do with the chronology or viewpoint of the earth or universe isn't going to dismantle any religion (at least not Christianity, Islam, or Judaism). If Christianity were to somehow be dismantled, then it would have to go back to Jesus' teachings. Or even yet, find out that Jesus Christ was no son of God and that everything he said was either a lie or he was just a plain lunatic.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 10 2008, 11:05 pm by MillenniumArmy.

None.

Dec 11 2008, 3:27 am BeDazed Post #24

I believe you missed the point what I declared because you are trying to say how Christianity works. I pointed out Xel'Naga because "Xel'Naga" are considered gods and ACTUALLY created the Protoss and the Zerg with a lore speaking Xel'Naga had the technological advancements. And I like to compare things, only to bring up a point. Comparing to "God", I'd ask, where is his technology?
I wonder how you can even go as far to compare something that was limited to technology and inside this universe to a concept that is multi universal.

None.

Dec 11 2008, 5:34 pm Grand_dracolich Post #25

@Doodan: I'm really getting sick of that cartoon. Neither Creationism nor Evolutionism should be taught in schools, since neither have been proven. Yes, I'm a Christian.

None.

Dec 11 2008, 6:38 pm UnholyUrine Post #26

Quote from Grand_dracolich
@Doodan: I'm really getting sick of that cartoon. Neither Creationism nor Evolutionism should be taught in schools, since neither have been proven. Yes, I'm a Christian.
You are simply being a troll, because you're going off topic to whether these things should be taught or not in schools. Well, if neither should be taught, then children will learn nothing. And the cartoon is satirical. There are LOADS of evidence that evolution is real, and ZERO evidence that creationism is real. Evidence is from highly controlled, scientific, replicable experiments in which anyone with any common sense and a little scientific knowledge will understand. You don't have to agree with the experiments' conclusions, but the results are FACTS, which you canNOT argue against.

You know nothing but to squirm your way around arguments and use the bible as your trump card, and always argue for the sake of argument. :T. Kinda like those moon hoax conspiracy pushers. In the end, however, it is your choice whether you want to live a life of blind faith, or know the truth. Either way will still bring you happiness. Just don't fucking tell people off (and that isn't directed to you, just to crazy christians.. you weren't that pushy sorry :P)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 11 2008, 7:22 pm by MillenniumArmy. Reason: post clean-up

None.

Dec 11 2008, 8:49 pm ClansAreForGays Post #27

Quote from UnholyUrine

You are simply being a troll, because you're going off topic to whether these things should be taught or not in schools.
Didn't you say you read that wikipedia article?

Dec 11 2008, 9:46 pm EzDay281 Post #28

Neither has gravity, nor the composition of stars, nor how volcanoes work, nor that there's such thing as school.
What? School could just be an illusion; we could all be in the Matrix. Nothing can be "proven", so should school not exist at all?

None.

Dec 11 2008, 11:26 pm WoAHorde Post #29

Evolution is one of the most(if not the most), rigorously tested scientific theories on the planet. Attacking Evolution without using "faith" as a base has no argument or foundation.

None.

Dec 11 2008, 11:55 pm KrayZee Post #30

Evolutionism should never be taught in School? Evolution had been proven many, many times. Schools also teaches history, Grand_dracolich. Whether you like it or not, history books will prove that religion had contradicted itself a lot. As it brought religious wars and heretics, it had ruined millions of lives. Science and Evolution on the other hand allowed students to understand how the world works, especially establishing experiments of their own.

Quote from UnholyUrine
Kinda like those moon hoax conspiracy pushers.
I hate the moon hoax conspiracies. I don't even need to argue about that, I just need a bunch of videos demonstrating how it was real to debunk the conspiracies.

None.

Dec 12 2008, 12:35 am BeDazed Post #31

Evolutionism should never be taught in School? Evolution had been proven many, many times. Schools also teaches history, Grand_dracolich. Whether you like it or not, history books will prove that religion had contradicted itself a lot. As it brought religious wars and heretics, it had ruined millions of lives. Science and Evolution on the other hand allowed students to understand how the world works, especially establishing experiments of their own.
Science has also created millions of casualties.

None.

Dec 12 2008, 4:04 am Loser_Musician Post #32

Evolution doesn't disprove religion, infact it helps prove it because it offers the only physical explanation of where God came from.

Creator of Death Knights Trilogy.

Newest Game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/684000/Wooden_Ocean/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/

Dec 12 2008, 4:20 am ClansAreForGays Post #33

Are you saying if it wasn't for evolution, there would be any humans around to invent god in the first place?

Dec 12 2008, 4:31 am Loser_Musician Post #34

That, and the fact that God has ancestors. Something as well designed as God can't just pop out of nowhere.

Dec 12 2008, 5:09 am EzDay281 Post #35

That, and the fact that God has ancestors. Something as well designed as God can't just pop out of nowhere.
This assumes God is "designed".
We're talking about an omnipotent, superlogical being here. All else failing, fundamentalists can try to argue "He doesn't have to make sense, he just is." ;o

None.

Dec 12 2008, 5:17 am Loser_Musician Post #36

No one is omnipotent, not even God. When people talk like that, they just come off as being desperate.

Dec 12 2008, 5:55 am ClansAreForGays Post #37

If there's a an honest to goodness god, and I can fathom omnipotence, god should have omnipotence.

Dec 12 2008, 6:43 am MasterJohnny Post #38

Quote from Loser_Musician
No one is omnipotent, not even God. When people talk like that, they just come off as being desperate.

Quote from ClansAreForGays
If there's a an honest to goodness god, and I can fathom omnipotence, god should have omnipotence.

Can an omnipotent being create a stone so heavy that (your god) cannot lift it?
Philosophy is so cool!

I am a Mathematician

Dec 12 2008, 7:55 am BeDazed Post #39

We're talking about an omnipotent, superlogical being here. All else failing, fundamentalists can try to argue "He doesn't have to make sense, he just is." ;o
...And yet nobody has tried to even understand what I said.

'God' isn't necessarily person, and would obviously not have any 'sexuality' basing on Male and Female- and none in the biological sense we'd ever know. And uh, you cannot even 'imagine' omnipotence. It is by far not capable for our brains to describe it in a fashionly manner.

Can an omnipotent being create a stone so heavy that (your god) cannot lift it?
Philosophy is so cool!
Omnipotence isn't do and don't and not can and can't. Omnipotence is beyond material needs, or visuality, need for anything from the world we live in. With that said, your logic starts to fail by even mentioning 'stone' and 'heavy' which is such mere human restrictions. When talking about 'God', the scale is beyond a person and a universe. With that concept of 'God', Humans are lesser than ants. That is the concept of 'God' and Omnipotence.
That is why theres only two choice. To believe or to not believe in his existance- however you want to believe is up to you. That is why the basic question is 'Does God exist?' This should be strictly kept to yourself, because everyone varies in opinions. And thats also the reason why you can't 'understand' God, or even make sense at all.

None.

Dec 12 2008, 10:13 am MasterJohnny Post #40

Quote from BeDazed
...And yet nobody has tried to even understand what I said.

Is this a trick like in 1984 where O'Brien is torturing winston and trying to get him to say 5 fingers where theres only 4 and your showing a logical fallacy?

Quote from BeDazed
Omnipotence isn't do and don't and not can and can't. Omnipotence is beyond material needs, or visuality, need for anything from the world we live in. With that said, your logic starts to fail by even mentioning 'stone' and 'heavy' which is such mere human restrictions. When talking about 'God', the scale is beyond a person and a universe. With that concept of 'God', Humans are lesser than ants. That is the concept of 'God' and Omnipotence.
That is why theres only two choice. To believe or to not believe in his existance- however you want to believe is up to you. That is why the basic question is 'Does God exist?' This should be strictly kept to yourself, because everyone varies in opinions. And thats also the reason why you can't 'understand' God, or even make sense at all.

Yes it is suppose to be beyond our human restrictions but imagining stone and heavy is within our concept of mind and because we able to imagine this concept we can apply (god or w/e) into this. I am not saying anything about (god) I am talking about the concept omnipotent beings. That philosophical paradox that i posted sorta questions how omnipotent beings are possible.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Dec 12 2008, 10:29 am by MasterJohnny.

I am a Mathematician

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 422 >
  Back to forum