Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: Rp Terrain
Rp Terrain
Aug 28 2007, 11:00 pm
By: sharf
Pages: < 1 2 3

Sep 11 2007, 4:36 am Jello-Jigglers Post #41

Yeah well I don't fully agree but I do see how it might work that way to the watered-down minds of the average b-net players. But seeing as custom terrain has never been directed to the general public of starcraft users because they don't fully understand its complexities, it is easy for the elevated members of sen to see the implied slopes and indicated level changes. It is really obvious for me to tell what all is going on here but maybe it isn't for you so I made this lovely picture to help illustrate :D :

This is a profile view of the 3rd picture as if you were standing on the low dirt-grass-high dirt transition and you were viewing in the north-western direction:

You are here:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee21/Jello-Jigglers/Help%20Files/CliffOptics1.png

You see this:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee21/Jello-Jigglers/Help%20Files/CliffOptics2.png

This is how I view this work and i'm not sure that is how sharf intended but meh it works :)

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Sep 18 2007, 2:58 am by Jello-Jigglers. Reason: Image Pathing Changed

None.

Sep 11 2007, 4:39 am blacklight28 Post #42

Wha?

None.

Sep 11 2007, 4:39 am Falkoner Post #43

Yes, I know that is how it is supposed to look, but with SC the ground is flat, not sloped, and trying to make it sloped tends to create a sort of optical illusion.

None.

Sep 11 2007, 4:59 am Jello-Jigglers Post #44

Of coarse it creates optical allusions. The whole tile-isom terrain system that blizzard implemented in essence is an optical allusion is it not? Now, seeing as the setup of the regular sc terrain being tiles pieced together to make it appear isometric, and that they tiles are unchanging and quite limited, there isn't much of a choice for unwanted optical allusions and in certain instances, color mismatches... It is beyond inevitable to run into one or both of these problems in every extended piece because it was not designed to be edited. Do you see my point?

None.

Sep 11 2007, 12:44 pm Falkoner Post #45

I know, but when the tiles are put together for isom, they do not LOOK like an optical illusion, while improper terrain height does.

None.

Sep 11 2007, 3:05 pm purple100 Post #46

Improper terrain height is an optical illusion on top of an illusion of perspective. The game maps out walkable area with squares, but draws the terrain art to look like isometric tiles (which is the illusion of perspective), and then crazy terrainers come up with even more tricky designs that fool the viewers into thinking that there is actually height in their maps when there is not.

Speaking of optical illusions, I think somebody ought to make some M.C. Escher designs in a Starcraft map, then add triggers to let players wander around and learn about his artwork bu looking at the designs.

None.

Sep 11 2007, 6:31 pm sharf Post #47

Oh good god what have I unleashed?

Jello - What the hell is that picture supposed to be? I can't even say if it is or isnt what I mean...

also, to back up the opticle allusion thing, you see dirt, a cliff, grass, water, bridges, and what ever else. they are simply a mass of colored blocks that make something look the way it looks.... same thing with 3D engines.... its not that the world is 3D, it's that there are 360 degree views in all directions, it's the way your eye's perceive it that makes things look a certain way.

Everyone on B-net... even people who don't RP that see this terrain love it..... I have 3 people begging me to do their terrain so.... I don't want to hear it.

None.

Sep 11 2007, 8:25 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #48

Quote from sharf
Oh good god what have I unleashed?

Jello - What the hell is that picture supposed to be? I can't even say if it is or isnt what I mean...

also, to back up the opticle allusion thing, you see dirt, a cliff, grass, water, bridges, and what ever else. they are simply a mass of colored blocks that make something look the way it looks.... same thing with 3D engines.... its not that the world is 3D, it's that there are 360 degree views in all directions, it's the way your eye's perceive it that makes things look a certain way.

Everyone on B-net... even people who don't RP that see this terrain love it..... I have 3 people begging me to do their terrain so.... I don't want to hear it.

Hey well I was backing you up but a guess if you don't want me too.... And saying you have 3 people begging you to do their terrain is actually a bad thing seeing as I've had probably 50+ so don't think too highly of yourself over three people... And I've shown hundreds(yes I really have) of people on b-net but that doesn't raise me above anything because all they compare it to is regular terrain standards...

None.

Sep 12 2007, 4:29 am KorpzE Post #49

lol nice terrain, pretty simple, i would give it a .... 7.9/10 (no idea why 8 .. lol)
When is this going to come out? Whats it called? I needa know!!!

None.

Sep 12 2007, 4:44 am MNeox Post #50

I like these, Cool ramps

None.

Sep 13 2007, 1:58 am Fallen Post #51

I wont lie those are by far one of the most nice things i have seen. However could you do unit movment screen shot. So you could show us if the units can travel all over the overlaps or in just some parts.

I you dont know what i am talking about. Go to SCM then have all the settings as normal (staredit style) then click a unit to place. And it should black out the tiles that cant be walked on.
I dont if any one has noticed by when some pople make very nice things like this they tend to be unwalkable

None.

Sep 13 2007, 11:33 pm sharf Post #52

yes I know the unit movement thing, and Jello. the 3 people i'm talking about are the people that need that type of terrain that I show the map too. I've shown it to maybe.... 20 people? most of which, don't need extended.

Thanks guys, also the ruins ramp doesnt appear to be usable by large units...I'll probably fix that.

Thanks for the comments.

None.

Sep 14 2007, 2:47 am Kemuel Post #53

From what i see the terrain will look pretty damn good by the time Sharf is finished so keep up the good work sharf

None.

Sep 15 2007, 8:57 pm sharf Post #54

Thanks everyone, New pic :)

None.

Sep 17 2007, 6:47 pm Vi3t-X Post #55

Quote from sharf
of course, the dirt part is sunken in, even though there is a cliff its sunken, so a slight natural incline is evedent. At the top edge of the highdirt to dirt section, you can see a bit of cliff, where it drops off, indicating the slope.

You really could just blend in some mud tiles to make it seem a bit sunkener... (is that a word)

None.

Sep 17 2007, 6:53 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #56

You really could just blend in some mud tiles to make it seem a bit sunkener... (is that a word)
Not even close... "more sunken" ;)

I like the new pic. Though it seems like lots of your stuff is like... hard to explain... like it all doesn't flow together if you know what I'm saying... like it looks like you made like a piece and then stuck it next to five other pieces instead of making them all mesh together... I'm sure it will look better with doodads and junk though so maybe don't worry about it too much :D

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum