Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Showcase > Topic: Final Fantasy K - RPG
Final Fantasy K - RPG
Sep 18 2007, 5:36 am
By: tosx  

Sep 18 2007, 5:36 am tosx Post #1

This is a custom RPG that I've been working on for some years; it's almost done (see below about debugging) but in the interest of feedback I would like to make it available as is.
Brief synopsis as follows:

--- Final Fantasy K ---
Original story set in a FF-style world; includes the essentials such as: magic, summons, multiple characters (though only 1 per player) with unique skills, Chocobos, an airship, a guy named Cid, an evil empire, a resistance movement, and, well, lots more.
-Play as one of four characters, each with a unique starting ability.
-2 continents, 7 towns and cities, and 9 boss fights; bosses have their own special moves and spells.
-Equip 2 spells at a time out of 8 which can be discovered across the world, including Fire/Fira/Firaga, Shell, Ultima...
-Summon powerful creatures to assume their forms, allowing you to fight as Shiva, Ifrit, Bahamut...
-Learn to catch and ride Chocobos!
-Two item fetch-quest sequences, Chocobo racing, and other side quests, which reward you with additional abilities or items.
-Monster arena which allows you to fight captured enemies, or combine them into other enemies or even items.
-15 items you can use, buy, and sell, each with different effects.
-Ultimate weapons and learnable Limit Break techniques to be discovered (though the "Limit Breaks" are mostly noncombat here)

Fighting is regular SC, no special arena. Magic/skills, summons, and items are all handled with a hotkey-based Protoss Building system so you don't have to keep looking away.
There is actually a plot and a story...if anyone cares to pay attention. It also has a loosely FF structure; the main villain, etc.
No penalty for dying or trying it single-player; especially since:

THIS IS A LONG RPG. It should be easier with 3 or 4 people (never had that many), but with 1 or 2, and no codes, it could take 3 or 4 hours to complete, depending on how much of the extra stuff you complete; as may be apparent, there are a lot of hidden and optional things which allow you to get a more powerful, unique character, if you want to.

Once I finalize everything, I will have a FAQ for all the optional stuff. In the meantime, for testing/debug purposes, if you would like to know where any of the above-mentioned things can be found, please ask me.

My email is mkbish@gmail.com.

Another note: debugging finally ended this summer but I've added/changed so much since then that I keep having to repeat the process. This is essentially the completed game; but it has not undergone any debugging since the most recent addtitions; so please message/email me if something doesn't work or make sense.

Also, I'm in the process adding two optional bosses (Gilgamesh and a WEAPON), which will become final version+, or something.

VERSION UPDATE 9/23/07: V.1.16

Attachments:
FinalFantasyKv16.scx
Hits: 40 Size: 344.46kb

Post has been edited 6 time(s), last time on Sep 23 2007, 5:16 am by tosx.

None.

Sep 18 2007, 9:15 am Moogle Post #2

Predator of Bed Chambers

I think something seriously wrong with the map. Every time I goto play it crashes my starcraft. Didn't matter what slot I went too. So Must be a corruption in the map or something went wrong while you were protecting or a error on the map.

If all else fails, crowbar the fucker

Sep 18 2007, 2:06 pm tosx Post #3

Ah sorry, problem with the protector (haven't used this one before).
Got a new one, seems to work for me. I've updated the file in the original post.

Let me know if you still have problems playing it.

None.

Sep 20 2007, 8:04 am Moogle Post #4

Predator of Bed Chambers

I've played it a few times. Kinda confusing to start off with.

I don't know if somethings were working, like I got the skill for hunting people I put DA onto beacon and went around killing a lot of enemies. Didn't even seem like skill was given to me from all enemies I killed. =/

Summonings seem do die very easy and quickly unless you upgraded them.

Still playing the map and trying get use to it. I'll tell ya what I think when I finish it. So far I like Rire but kinda disliked his starting ability. As well as Fletch was tight. Limit breaks were nice to use some what of time. Terrain had some nice features and was nice to run around some areas.

All in all, its a very nice map good job =)

A KUPO NUT STAMP OF GOODNESS

Sep 20 2007, 12:44 pm tosx Post #5

The Enforcer skill, as well as the Chocobo catching skill, take 200 points to learn, where you get 1 point every 100exp you allocate. So it does take a while to get (as was intended), but I tested it the other day and I know it works. Just put a bit more exp into it.

Summons are intended to die pretty quickly, it's like a powerful couple-hit attack rather than a form you spend all your time in.
I'm curious if you found any of Rire's permanent Lore forms? Once you get a couple like the Slith and Thundarasaur, he gets pretty powerful, since you can become Slith for fast travel and Thundarasaur for meat shield. But glad to hear you like Fletch.
Glad someone's playing it! Thanks for the feedback!

None.

Sep 20 2007, 10:54 pm Echo Post #6

Your map is a simple but decent classic Hack and Slash RPG type. The sprite doodad that you used really makes the game look dirty and I noticed that the weapon shop don't work for me. The ingame features are a bit confusing to use, I still haven't figured them out.

None.

Sep 21 2007, 1:51 am tosx Post #7

I'll consider the sprite issue but I feel it helps differentiate the locales more. Can you be more specific about the weapon shop not working? Also, what features can you not figure out? The briefing covers the absolute basics, and there are a few NPCs who explain stuff, but text strings are almost maxed so I admit the instruction is a bit sparse. If you can't figure something out please ask.

None.

Sep 21 2007, 4:50 am Echo Post #8

I am specific in the weapon shop working. It doesn't work at all. I go near it and nothing happens.

None.

Sep 21 2007, 7:05 am Moogle Post #9

Predator of Bed Chambers

Always worked for me echo, shop must not like you. lol;

Sep 21 2007, 12:34 pm tosx Post #10

What player were you?
And did you approach it immediately after exiting another building? There's a "cooldown" space for doors, try backing up and approaching again.

None.

Sep 21 2007, 2:23 pm Moogle Post #11

Predator of Bed Chambers

Some people don't think like that Tosx. I ran up to a door and enter, then ran to weapon shop was like damn can't enter. So ran off then back to shop then could enter was like ok ^_^ simple enough.

Sep 22 2007, 3:36 am tosx Post #12

New version. A few bugs fixes and a chunk of new stuff, as follows:

V.1.15
Bugs fixed:
-Acquiring ultimate weapon now properly increases max MP by 30.
-Siphon Ring now properly drains MP up til max, instead of only til 90.
-Fixed numerous bugs with equipping spells/allocating exp, including bug where you lose your exp allocator.

New stuff:
-Changed Thunder, Blizzard, Cure, Muddle magic
-Replaced Shell magic with Stop magic
-Learning all Level 1 spells increases max MP by 30

V.1.16
Various little bugs fixed, including:
-M.Catcher weapon now works properly.
-Chcobo hunter skill now works when learned.
-Fixed spawn areas so wandering Chocobos do not prevent enemies from spawning.
-Widened a path in the town of Kovon; was a game-halting bug as only p4 could progress further.

Updated the link in original post to reflect new version (V.1.16).

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 23 2007, 5:19 am by tosx.

None.

Sep 22 2007, 4:17 am tosx Post #13

Some more detailed information about what is in the map:

Characters:
Dayl Sabra (p1 Zealot): young man from the Defahné Archive in the North of Theru; a formidable swordsman.
---Starting skill: Guard [10MP] enables and constantly refills Dayl's shields, giving him 10 extra hitpoints with 10 armor; most useful against large groups of small enemies. Lasts 16 seconds.

Aliena Sonnet (p2 Kerrigan Ghost): young woman from the village of Waven in the North; gifted at magic and runes.
---Starting skill: Illusion [10MP] creates a hallucination of Aliena to scout or absorb damage. Multiple hallucinations can be created at one time.

Rire Var'Loch (p3 Raynor Marine): veteran warrior of the Therian Resistance; able to learn and utilize the fighting styles of enemies he encounters.
---Starting skill: Lore [10MP] Rire disappears and possesses a nearby enemy. Certain enemies, once acquired, become permanently available; Rire can utilize them again at any time, though MP costs may vary. This skill does not effect bosses and powerful enemies (p8).

Fletch (p4 Zergling): a Lisk from the Underlands, and Rire's partner. Silent and quick, Fletch can blend into the landscape or steal from unsuspecting enemies.
---Starting skill: Steal [10MP] randomly steals from a nearby enemy: 25% chance for Hi Potion, 25% Phoenix Down, 25% chance 25 seecans (money), 25% chance fail.

Magic:
Alkyte crystals provide access to magic spells; players can have a slot 1 Alkyte crystal (from which black magic is learned) and a slot 2 Alkyte crsytal (white magic). Once a piece of Alkyte is found and equipped, exp can be allocated to it (instead of being allocated towards seecans). Different spells require different amounts of exp to learn them. Equipping a new piece of Alkyte to a slot replaces the old spell with a new one; however, once a spell is learned, it is immediately available if that Alkyte is re-equipped in the future. Some spells can have further exp allocated to them to increase their level.

Slot 1 (black magic):
Fire Alkyte - teaches Fire/Fira/Firaga (15MP): temporarily summons 2/4/6 Infested Terrans for AOE ground damage.
Blizzard Alkyte - teaches Blizzard/Blizzara/Blizzaga (15MP): temporarily summons 1/2/3 Scouts for high damage to a single air or ground unit.
Thunder Alkyte - teaches Thunder/Thundara/Thundaga (15MP): temporarily summons 1/2/3 Corsairs for high AOE air damage.
Metal Alkyte - teaches Ultima (90MP): temporarily summons 10 Lurkers for massive AOE ground damage.

Slot 2 (white magic):
Fire Alkyte - teaches Stop/Stopra/Stopga (30MP): permanently stuns 2/3/4 enemies. Does not effect bosses and powerful enemies (p8). Stunned enemies take longer to kill (higher armor).
Blizzard Alkyte - teaches Cure/Curaga (45MP): fully heals your active unit/fully heals your active and stored units (such as when using summoned forms), as well as nearby allies.
Thunder Alkyte - teaches Muddle (20MP): confuses 2 enemies into becoming your allies (gives them to allied comp). Also interrupts enemies currently attacking you (.5 sec invincibility).
Metal Alkyte - teaches Warp (5MP): allows you to return to any town previously visited. Allies standing nearby are also warped. (creates an observer at each town; move the observer for the town you wish to warp to in order to activate the warp)

Items:
Items are stored invisibly; by building units from a Gateway players can see their current items (with active item highlighted), cycle to next active item on list, and use active item. Any item can be sold in Item Shops by setting it to active and using it. Purchasing items from a shop depletes the available merchandise; more expensive items generally deplete the stock faster. If stock is exhausted players cannot buy more items. Stock is replenished every morning and evening; selling items back also increases available stock. Some items such as Yuka Seeds (which can be picked for free from Yuka Trees) are useful for selling. Some of the 15 items which can be found or purchased inlude...

Healing items:
Hi Potion: fully heals all your units.
Ether: fully restores your MP.
Mega Potion: fully heals you and all allies on the map.
Dried Meat: fully heals all your units and draws nearby monsters towards you.

Nonhealing items:
Blast Sphere: sets nearby enemies to 50% max HP and destroys yellow obstructions; needed to reach many hidden items and Alkyte crystals.
Yuka Seed: plant a Yuka Sapling (Spire) which can be grown into a Yuka Tree (Greater Spire); full-grown trees produce more seeds, which can be picked once a day.
Warpstone: this item has the same effect as Warp magic. Contains 3 charges.
Phoenix Down: revives you with full HP and MP if you fall in battle.
Ale: restores 50MP and increases BAC by 30; BAC decreases over time, but if it exceeds 110, players may experience stumbling when walking or attacking, may attack their allies, and may be hurt themselves when casting magic (HP set to 1%). Yuka Seeds are rumored to clear up the effects of drunkenness.

More info on ultimate weapons, bonuses and optional quests, and summons to come in a later post (if I get bored)...

None.

Options
  Back to forum