Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Melee Discussion & Strategy > Topic: BWAI Melee Challenge II
BWAI Melee Challenge II
Oct 12 2008, 5:27 am
By: bajadulce  

Dec 8 2008, 9:23 pm Chef Post #21

<3 you Bajadulce. I'll give this a shot. I remember me and Yenku doing thing the first time you posted it in Team Melee... was lots of fun :)

None.

Dec 11 2008, 12:33 am Chef Post #22

This is very beautifully done, Bajadulce. My thanks to yourself and everyone who has worked on this.

In my Protoss vs Zerg game I scored 6374.

I found the AI to be much more powerful than I had suspected. The first four times I played I actually lost ahaha, I did not expect it at all. On regular old Blizzard maps, where the minerals are low, and the expansions are difficult to secure, this AI goes above and beyond, as the free money advantage it gives makes it play like no other. Of course, it's nothing like 1v1 vs an opponent... For starters and opponent can never tech to EVERYTHING at the same time lol! Scouting seems almost pointless, and it takes some getting used to, to realise that your opponent will have 12 Zerglings when my first two cannons go up, doing an economic build where human would only have 2 just hatching in his base at the same time.

Overall I applaud the efforts and enjoyed myself playing this mod. I would define it more as a semi-melee UMS that works on any map more than anything else, but at doing that, it does it perfectly. It really makes aggressive builds quite fun, and where a normal computer would have simply withered away to the 3gate opening I tried on Boxer (blizzard map), this one held it's ground and eventually forced me back as I realised trying to expand, that it just wouldn't stop making units. I supposed I could have won had I not expanded that first game, but it's interesting to finally be surprised by a computer in StarCraft. Perhaps I will try some other matchups.

Cheers,

Attachments:
COMP U COMP!!.rep
Hits: 5 Size: 45.72kb

None.

Dec 11 2008, 1:08 am Chef Post #23

4171 for Terran vs Protoss

Unfortunately... Toss kind of sucks. Even with the abuse of my wall, it kinda felt like the Protoss just gave up. I'd have liked to see it tech to arbiters or carriers or use storm more. I think lots of tech really soon before they should even have it is what makes computer AIs powerful. I probably could have gotten a higher score, but towards the end I was just bored and didn't bother macroing so I ended with 170/200 supply when I could have easily had 200/200 constantly... I just didn't feel a need to build anymore units to kill the computer faster (the travel time wouldn't have worked out, and he wasn't attacking me.

Perhaps though, if I tried a silly strategy like m'm vs Toss it would have been a challenge. Right now though, I'm afraid good PvT is too much about running your zealots to the tanks and performing good flanks, which is difficult to program a mod to do (though I suspect possible, and time consuming, with a specific match and location triggers).

PS: You can mark me as TL affiliated if you do anything :P

Attachments:
COMP U COMP!! tvp.rep
Hits: 3 Size: 45.93kb

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 11 2008, 1:25 am by Chef.

None.

Dec 11 2008, 1:53 am Chef Post #24

ZvP 5115

A little better :P But I think the Zerg ai against Toss is the best of what I've played so far.

Attachments:
COMP U COMP!! zvp.rep
Hits: 3 Size: 48.39kb

None.

Dec 11 2008, 2:41 am bajadulce Post #25

Quote from Chef
I remember me and Yenku doing thing the first time you posted it in Team Melee... was lots of fun :)
Nice to see the old veterans still around. I remember you supporting this earlier.. thnx

Quote from Chef
In my Protoss vs Zerg game I scored 6374.
nice game!

Quote from Chef
I found the AI to be much more powerful than I had suspected. The first four times I played I actually lost ahaha, I did not expect it at all.
Good to see that even the best don't win every single time! Glad the challenge wasn't too easy.

Quote from Chef
4171 for Terran vs Protoss
Nice base building! I wish the computer could build his bases that tight!

Thnx for playing and the support. I uploaded your replays to our site for safe keeping and updated the results. The computer isn't the brightest opponent, and scripting isn't as strong as a good UMS, but I'm glad you appreciate the efforts of everyone that has attempted writing these little mods. The Ai is pretty limited, but it was fun. Thnx for being part of SCraft 1 History. Here's looking forward to Starcraft2 and a new Ai! :)

None.

Dec 15 2008, 3:41 pm DaltonSerdynski Post #26

AM I playing the right ver? racines rebels w/e? I keep getting low scores my last one is 1981 I owned pvt in under 15 mins. Great macro and everything but I keep getting low scores... around 900 to 2000 what the hell. My first match I beat pvp and only lost 9 units to his 50 and be the computer in 14:34 and only got 841 for it. ;/
I got the pvt replay if needed I guess

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 15 2008, 3:51 pm by DaltonSerdynski.

None.

Dec 15 2008, 3:46 pm BeDazed Post #27

Its better if the computer gets a bit strong before you kill it. Since computers are (even with this ai) horrible, an early harass might make you too far ahead- but then again being a modified AI also makes it super powered if you let it live for too long. Usually your scores being like 180000~190000 with the computer's being around 150000~160000 is a good range of getting scores within the time of 25 minutes. You need to kill alot to get that kind of score.

I've been trying to beat it 1v2c lately. It's really hard.

None.

Dec 15 2008, 8:12 pm bajadulce Post #28

Quote from BeDazed
I've been trying to beat it 1v2c lately. It's really hard.
:) I have updated the Replay Calculator today to score more points for those attempting to challenge more computers. The calculator still averages the computers scores, but you are now awarded 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, 6x, 7x!! those scores!

How high can you go? :)

None.

Options
  Back to forum