Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Discussion > Topic: SCD4 Discussion!
SCD4 Discussion!
Oct 11 2008, 9:59 pm
By: O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Oct 20 2008, 3:25 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #41

👻 👾 👽 💪

Next I get to work on radio buttons, check boxes, text areas, and listviews.

Those buttons are just for example... Showing they can be almost any width and showing the different states.

Should I also make it play the click sounds?

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Oct 20 2008, 8:44 am Hercanic Post #42

STF mod creator, Modcrafters.com admin, CampaignCreations.org staff

Dear Farty:
Looking good. Since you're only showing examples, rather than an actual layout, it's hard to critique, especially since there's nothing wrong with following SC's style.

Sounds: Maybe, as long as the buttons don't need frequent use, which would risk an annoyance factor.

Tabs: Which tab are you in? The bottom line beneath your current tab needs to vanish to indicate which tab is active (as tabs usually function).

About: What will be in this menu, specifically?

Install: Terminology is most effective when it's consistent. How about "Patch" instead? It is what Blizzard calls them, it's what the gaming world calls them. Installing is a word best reserved for full program installs, not incremental changes (ie, patches).

Help Box: These are all the rage in other programs, such as DatEdit and FireGraft. Why not follow such a great trend? It'd be an area at the bottom where helpful info can be displayed about any item the user clicks on or mouses-over. Much more effective than a disconnected help menu or somesuch.

Mod Library: An online database would be nifty, but I don't think it should be core. The foundation of the system would be most effective and simplest as a local user-controlled database. Online retrieval could be added in addition, but the feature should not be dependent upon the internet due to its many hurdles in implementation and maintenance.

Not to mention, a list of all mods and all their release versions could become unsightly in scale, rendering its usage unwieldy. That might be fun for completists, but some users may prefer simpler lists of their personal collection and favorite mods. On second thought, however, mods a user does not have, but are in the database, could be set to hide from view to keep the list manageable.

Nonetheless, given the level of work and dedication such an online endeavor would require, I don’t think it’s much bother to have users make their own archives. Personally, I’d prefer making my own, since I’m anal about how I organize things. This would only be a one-time setup, anyway, much better than what we currently have to do with reading the ReadMe.txt or forum post of a mod just to figure out what version of SC we need to patch to every time we want to play a different mod. If anything, SCD could ship with a default database.

I envision a tab after Install (Patch), which contains a list field set like a folder's Details view. The list can be sorted by its columns, just like a folder's Details view. At either the top or bottom would be several buttons: "Add", "Play", and "Link".

When you click Add, you are treated to a search menu, like the Open dialogue box of most programs (say, for instance, Word). If there is a way for the program to identify what version the mod requires, that'd be swell, but otherwise the user would be prompted to input the version of SC the mod requires as well as the optional ability to name the entry (otherwise it just uses the file's name).

When adding mods, you could add either a specific mod or a folder where many mods are kept (with the ability to look one folder layer deeper, should those mods be kept inside their own folder with their readme documents and such). When adding a folder, any necessary information, such as SC Version, that it cannot ascertain automatically will be required in a prompt when attempting to play the mod from the Library.

Once a mod is successfully entered into the local database, it will appear in the list field. It would have a tiny version of its icon followed by its custom library name, which the user can modify with a right-click -> Rename. They can also slowly double-click on the text to rename it at any time, too.

The column headings could be:

- Status (a red X if the mod is no longer found at the stored Path, which can be clicked on to update the mod's location)
- Name (custom, but otherwise pulls from the *.exe's file name)
- Mod Version (optional setting, to distinguish it when multiple entries have the same name but are different versions of the same mod)
- SC Version (SC or BW icon, too?)
- Update (blank unless set, contains a link to the mod's website)
- Author (blank unless set)
- Path (just shows the last folder and filename, but when moused-over it will show the full path in one of those hovering info boxes)
- Plays (how many times run from the mod library)
- Rating (user's choice, shared databases would probably make the best usage of this)
- Type (StarDraft, MPQDraft, MemGraft, or FireGraft mod? What version of each program if possible to distinguish)
- Date Created (Mod's creation date based on its file properties)
- Date Added (when you added it to the Library)
- Size (eh, why not?)

A column heading can be clicked on to sort by ascending or descending values, along with a hide/show option to streamline the details. Headings can also be dragged to change their horizontal order, as well as resized.

If users collect mods of different versions, they could create a folder to group all like mods into, with a + button expansion toggle, similar to DatEdit and FireGraft. Folders could be used for any other kind of grouping the user desires, allowing them to tailor their database to their needs and preferences.

The Play button would do the obvious: load whichever mod you currently have selected and preload its required patch. If a Folder is selected, it could run the first item in the folder, not do anything at all, or a column heading priority can be set on the folder (such as highest Mod Version).

The folder’s load priority would be user-selected when the folder is created, and modifiable. A folder would not have any of the normal information displayed like files under the various column headings, instead being blank except in the case of its Load Priority. An up/down arrow icon, like a dual state radio button, could be set in one column category and quickly changed with a click in another category, and a second click to change up/down (ascending/descending).

When sorting (clicking on the heading columns), Folders could either default to the top, or be sorted by whatever mod contained within them has priority.

The Link button would allow you to compile a shortcut-like batch file for whatever mod you have selected. Multi-selection could also be possible to make shortcut files for your entire library. All you would determine is the save location, as the filename would derive from the library’s Name category.

The “shortcut” batch would run the mod like the Play button, except without loading an active SCD window. Double-clicking on the shortcut file would seamlessly prepatch SC and load the mod it was built for all in the background.

The Library interface, with all its sorting options and folder organization, is ideal for managing large mod collections. The Links, on the other hand, are best for streamlining play for a few of your favorite mods that you play most often. You could put them on your desktop, double-click, and immediately begin gaming. Yet, when feeling nostalgic, you can go back to the Library.

Any mod can be removed from the database by selecting them in the list and hitting Delete or right-clicking and selecting the Delete option. A Yes/No prompt would pop up to ensure the user intended the action.

Sharing databases is tricky, and in a way would be kind of silly without the mods themselves, unless an ability to Download were present.

If a Load Database option was available, it could potentially read from a foreign database file and insert new entries while ignoring duplicate ones. The trick, then, is defining how the program will determine between new and duplicate records. It could rely on Name and Mod Version comparisons, but would it be case sensitive? How annoying would typos get if you find yourself clearing a dozen repeats because one thing or another was slightly off? Maybe a prompt showing what will be added first, with an easy unselect method to axe copies.

Plugin: New mods could be outfitted with a MPQDraft or FireGraft plugin that looks for SCD in the registry. If found, the mod inserts its information into the Library automatically, and then acts like a Link batch (prepatching SC to the needed version with SCD’s background installer).

For older mods, or mods made with tools not compatible with the Plugin for whatever reason, a second approach would be a special *.txt file. Or, more to the point, SCD looks for a unique syntax that the Add Mod option can read and extract settings from. If using a simplistic syntax with a header/footer tag, such code could be unobtrusively contained in the ReadMe.txt itself. In fact, the Add Mod option could be set to automatically scan any .txt files in the same directory as the mod for such syntax, so the end-user wouldn’t even have to know about it when setting up their Library.

With both the Plugin and text file syntax, certain fields can be of greater use to modmakers. In particular is the Update category. Now, it could merely link users to the author’s website, but a more advanced option could allow the creator to direct the link to a text file that contains the current mod version. The program would then compare and inform the user whether they are outdated or not.

Here’s how I envision new users setting up shop: The dedicated staff of SEN and other sites will add the syntax needed to the ReadMe files of their mods. New users are instructed to download SCD first, install it, and select a common folder where they will keep all their mods. As they download mods and extract them to that common folder, SCD will, on load, automatically update the database with those mods, and will pull all info needed from the ReadMe text files. The end-user now only has to select a mod from the Library to play. Done.

Another idea occurred to me: Links could act like a halfway between the Plugin and ReadMe. A Link for a mod made by someone else could be distributed along with the mod, if it contains all the database info as a redundancy. If a traded Link cannot find the mod, a prompt on execute will ask for the user to locate it.

Oct 20 2008, 11:58 am Forsaken Archer Post #43

Columns full of rather useless data should be avoided. I personally would rather just have a scrolling list of what mods I have on my computer and clicking on it + pushing play and/or double clicking = patch and run. A simple SC sound, the one you get when you push Start in a lobby, would be fine when pushing 'play'. Anything else would probably just be annoying (or there could be an option ;o).
I'd agree with the ability to organize the local database, put mods in a specific order of choice. It can be a simple text file, I'm sure.

None.

Oct 20 2008, 3:11 pm Hercanic Post #44

Quote from IsolatedPurity
Columns full of rather useless data should be avoided. I personally would rather just have a scrolling list of what mods I have on my computer and clicking on it + pushing play and/or double clicking = patch and run. A simple SC sound, the one you get when you push Start in a lobby, would be fine when pushing 'play'. Anything else would probably just be annoying (or there could be an option ;o).
Quote from Hercanic
A column heading can be clicked on to sort by ascending or descending values, along with a hide/show option to streamline the details. Headings can also be dragged to change their horizontal order, as well as resized.

Like with a window folder's Details view, you could right-click on any heading column and be offered a list of available headers, visible ones with checkmarks next to them, hidden ones without. That way, everyone can customize their view to suit their preference, be it minimalist, info-hound, or anything in-between.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 20 2008, 3:25 pm by Hercanic.

Oct 20 2008, 7:44 pm Forsaken Archer Post #45

- Status (a red X if the mod is no longer found at the stored Path, which can be clicked on to update the mod's location)
- Mod Version (optional setting, to distinguish it when multiple entries have the same name but are different versions of the same mod)
- Path (just shows the last folder and filename, but when moused-over it will show the full path in one of those hovering info boxes)
- Rating (user's choice, shared databases would probably make the best usage of this)
- Type (StarDraft, MPQDraft, MemGraft, or FireGraft mod? What version of each program if possible to distinguish)
- Size (eh, why not?)
The first might be okay, the bolded I would see as just stupid, imo.

None.

Oct 20 2008, 9:27 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #46

👻 👾 👽 💪

Whee! Time to jump right in to this...

Quote from Hercanic
Sounds: Maybe, as long as the buttons don't need frequent use, which would risk an annoyance factor.
I was thinking following how SC has it; rollover on certain things (links) makes a "blip", and clicking a button or link makes the click noise.

Quote from Hercanic
Tabs: Which tab are you in? The bottom line beneath your current tab needs to vanish to indicate which tab is active (as tabs usually function).
That feature is implemented but not shown... For testing purposes I have the current tab as a nonexistent index.

Quote from Hercanic
About: What will be in this menu, specifically?
Credits, links, etc. I didn't know where else to put it...

Install: Terminology is most effective when it's consistent. How about "Patch" instead? It is what Blizzard calls them, it's what the gaming world calls them. Installing is a word best reserved for full program installs, not incremental changes (ie, patches).
I agree; done.

Help Box: These are all the rage in other programs, such as DatEdit and FireGraft. Why not follow such a great trend? It'd be an area at the bottom where helpful info can be displayed about any item the user clicks on or mouses-over. Much more effective than a disconnected help menu or somesuch.
Other than for initial set up, I don't think any on-screen tips is necessary. Once you get SCD going it becomes three clicks and you don't see it anymore.

Quote from Hercanic
Mod Library: ... The foundation of the system would be most effective and simplest as a local user-controlled database. Online retrieval could be added in addition, but the feature should not be dependent upon the internet due to its many hurdles in implementation and maintenance.
I think I made it sound a bit more complex than it is... I've already coded the foundation for TCP/IP data retrieval in C.

Quote from Hercanic
Not to mention, a list of all mods and all their release versions could become unsightly in scale, rendering its usage unwieldy. That might be fun for completists, but some users may prefer simpler lists of their personal collection and favorite mods. On second thought, however, mods a user does not have, but are in the database, could be set to hide from view to keep the list manageable.
Eh. I'm sure my post had my thoughts very fractured and scattered... I was thinking that uses only retrieved entries of mods in their list that they add to. Once you have entries for your mods, the server is no longer necessary to you unless you add more.

Quote from Hercanic
Nonetheless, given the level of work and dedication such an online endeavor would require, I don’t think it’s much bother to have users make their own archives. Personally, I’d prefer making my own, since I’m anal about how I organize things. This would only be a one-time setup, anyway, much better than what we currently have to do with reading the ReadMe.txt or forum post of a mod just to figure out what version of SC we need to patch to every time we want to play a different mod. If anything, SCD could ship with a default database.
Users would be handling and organizing the database, the server would be providing. Also, I wouldn't know which mods to ship information with.

Quote from Hercanic
I envision a tab after Install (Patch), which contains a list field set like a folder's Details view. The list can be sorted by its columns, just like a folder's Details view. At either the top or bottom would be several buttons: "Add", "Play", and "Link".
Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of Details and a Report view may be a bit more complex to style as SC...

Quote from Hercanic
When you click Add, you are treated to a search menu, like the Open dialogue box of most programs (say, for instance, Word). If there is a way for the program to identify what version the mod requires, that'd be swell, but otherwise the user would be prompted to input the version of SC the mod requires as well as the optional ability to name the entry (otherwise it just uses the file's name).
I've asked DoA if there is ways to tell which version FG mods work for, but he said to talk to him further. I was thinking perhaps an attempt to detect it automatically, then if that fails prompt the user (or perhaps prompt the user anyway but have it filled in for confirmation.)

Quote from Hercanic
Once a mod is successfully entered into the local database, it will appear in the list field. It would have a tiny version of its icon followed by its custom library name, which the user can modify with a right-click -> Rename. They can also slowly double-click on the text to rename it at any time, too.
I like the idea of using its icon. I'd extracted the file/folder icons from SC, but this sounds better.

The column headings could be:

- Size (eh, why not?)

I had in mind just a sortable list of mods... I was thinking of having information, but I hadn't thought of how to display it... I'd like to not complicate it with list views, but how else is there to display information? Unless, perhaps, I showed information upon highlighting the mod.

Quote from Hercanic
If users collect mods of different versions, they could create a folder to group all like mods into, with a + button expansion toggle, similar to DatEdit and FireGraft. Folders could be used for any other kind of grouping the user desires, allowing them to tailor their database to their needs and preferences.
Treeviews are a bitch. >< I could probably make it have directories, though.

Quote from Hercanic
The Link button would allow you to compile a shortcut-like batch file for whatever mod you have selected. Multi-selection could also be possible to make shortcut files for your entire library. All you would determine is the save location, as the filename would derive from the library’s Name category.

The “shortcut” batch would run the mod like the Play button, except without loading an active SCD window. Double-clicking on the shortcut file would seamlessly prepatch SC and load the mod it was built for all in the background.
I was considering adding command-line features. If I do, then it wouldn't be hard to create a shortcut with command-line options to load it.

Quote from Hercanic
The Library interface, with all its sorting options and folder organization, is ideal for managing large mod collections. The Links, on the other hand, are best for streamlining play for a few of your favorite mods that you play most often. You could put them on your desktop, double-click, and immediately begin gaming. Yet, when feeling nostalgic, you can go back to the Library.

Are you suggesting that I turn this into some sort of mod collection managing suite? :P

Quote from Hercanic
Plugin: New mods could be outfitted with a MPQDraft or FireGraft plugin that looks for SCD in the registry. If found, the mod inserts its information into the Library automatically, and then acts like a Link batch (prepatching SC to the needed version with SCD’s background installer).
Hmm. Making it auto-patch makes the plugin useful for more than the first run, but it would still only be useful if the user has SCD and the required version... and if producers added the plugin in the first place. This would also lessen the need for the library/"auto-patching" through the main UI. If I feel up to it, perhaps I'll do both.

Quote from Hercanic
For older mods, or mods made with tools not compatible with the Plugin for whatever reason, a second approach would be a special *.txt file. Or, more to the point, SCD looks for a unique syntax that the Add Mod option can read and extract settings from. If using a simplistic syntax with a header/footer tag, such code could be unobtrusively contained in the ReadMe.txt itself. In fact, the Add Mod option could be set to automatically scan any .txt files in the same directory as the mod for such syntax, so the end-user wouldn’t even have to know about it when setting up their Library.
If I can find information with each mod that helps determine what version it should run (even with older things like MemGraft), then automatically adding it should be easy.

Quote from Hercanic
With both the Plugin and text file syntax, certain fields can be of greater use to modmakers. In particular is the Update category. Now, it could merely link users to the author’s website, but a more advanced option could allow the creator to direct the link to a text file that contains the current mod version. The program would then compare and inform the user whether they are outdated or not.
Unless all ReadMes are in a similar (best-case would be same) format, then it would be more difficult locating information... and more difficult than implementing an online database.

Quote from Hercanic
Here’s how I envision new users setting up shop: The dedicated staff of SEN and other sites will add the syntax needed to the ReadMe files of their mods. New users are instructed to download SCD first, install it, and select a common folder where they will keep all their mods. As they download mods and extract them to that common folder, SCD will, on load, automatically update the database with those mods, and will pull all info needed from the ReadMe text files. The end-user now only has to select a mod from the Library to play. Done.
Another thing would be how would I get all producers to comply with the SCD4 setup?

I think your ideas are far more elaborate than what I had envisioned this program to be. :P

EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Oct 20 2008, 9:34 pm Hercanic Post #47

Dear Farty:
EDIT: Still reading your post, but to quickly comment on one thing:

Quote from "Farty"
Other than for initial set up, I don't think any on-screen tips is necessary. Once you get SCD going it becomes three clicks and you don't see it anymore.
ToggleNX? Oddball setup things like that, particularly in the Options tab, could use little tooltips or a help region to keep back confusion from the user.

Dear IsolatedPurity:
Bold is kinda hard to see in quotes. Maybe it's just me.

- Plays I see as being a fun statistic, just to see how addicted you are to any particular mod, and maybe also enabling you to spot any mods you've been neglecting.

- Rating is subjective, but since you can sort by headings, it's a means of putting your favorite mods at the top of the list.

- Type is extra junk, and probably isn't worth the research time. By this point, I'm just throwing ideas on the table.

- Date Created was intended to give a sense of age to the mods, though sadly downloaded content does not preserve the actual date the file was birthed, just when it was first recorded onto your hard drive. *sigh*

- Date Added is superfluous in the short run, but years from now it could bring back memories. "I've had Ad Astra for two years now? Wow. I remember when I first played it..."

- Size is just handy to see at a glance how much space you're using for mods.

And again, as with all headings, the program could ship with more categories than visible by default, and any that you don't personally need, want, or like could be easily hidden from sight.

Oct 20 2008, 9:44 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #48

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from Hercanic
Quote from "Farty"
ToggleNX? Oddball setup things like that, particularly in the Options tab, could use little tooltips or a help region to keep back confusion from the user.
Hmm. I suppose for the Options tab...
Would a readme/help file not be enough? Perhaps the "About" tab could be expanded to a "Help" tab if necessary.

Oct 21 2008, 11:27 am I)eathBringer Post #49

what is NX?

None.

Oct 26 2008, 10:18 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #50

👻 👾 👽 💪

ToggleNX is a thing by ShadowFlare so Vista users can connect to private servers (I believe.)

I just implemented the current version detection. :D Now it shows "Current Version: [Starcraft/Brood War] 1.x[b-f/.x]"
(Note that while taking screenshots I decided to not put the "a" in "1.xxa".)

Don't mind the large white areas. I havn't created the code to draw the listbox.

Oct 31 2008, 9:40 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #51

👻 👾 👽 💪

I built the patches just now...
Is 75 MB total for every version of both SC and BW a lot?

BW only: 34.7 MB (36,446,595 bytes)
SC only: 39.8 MB (41,759,235 bytes)

Individual patches are <2MB. The greatest being about 1.8 MB.

Later I'll toy with putting them in one collective file seeing if I can reduce the size on the user's system... I'll have to add stuff to install it though. >< I already have in place a setup to find the files without using an ini file to list them.

---
I'm going to work more on actual funtion than graphics... I probably should have left that for last (though now I am at a point where I've made it simple to add the graphics, so doing it later wont be an issue.)

Progress!:

That list is generated based on the contents of the \Patches\ subdir. If you were to add files and then click one of the List buttons at the bottom it would show it immediately.
The buttons don't show the selection state currently... but they do function.

Post has been edited 5 time(s), last time on Oct 31 2008, 11:50 pm by FaRTy1billion.

Nov 4 2008, 2:22 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #52

👻 👾 👽 💪

Idea: A simple gateway editor.
A small list of the gateways in the registry with buttons to add, edit, and remove entries. It would be nice for mod nights because it would be within the same program, removing the necessity of multiple programs and/or registry editing.
There must already be support for pre-1.08 gateway selection as the address is within certain files (which I've already located.) I could add an option to set it to an explicit gateway (type it in to a textbox) or use the currently selected one in the registry.

Nov 4 2008, 6:51 am Hercanic Post #53

That'd be really cool. SCDG seems to slowly be evolving from an otherwise fantastic multi-patcher application, to the outright central hub for all mod players. Suffice it to say, anything that makes playing mods less painless helps all mod-lovers and modmakers alike. Definately, go for it! =o)

Nov 12 2008, 1:10 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #54

👻 👾 👽 💪

I'm working on getting the Options page up and running.
I havn't styled it yet:

(I also fixed the bug you may have noticed with the gateway listings.)

I don't know exactly where to put the edit fields for the gateways or how I should format the listings (I don't really like the current [test] format because it loves cutting off... and the SC font is bigger. It doesn't necessarily have to show the details.)

EDIT:
I've made it so that the listbox becomes hidden and then the edit boxes appear in its place.

Screenshot:

Again, I havn't styled anything. The buttons will be different for this screen... those are how they will exist underneath the listbox shown in the previous screenshot.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Nov 13 2008, 1:53 am by FaRTy1billion.

Nov 14 2008, 7:28 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #55

👻 👾 👽 💪

So I am toying a bit more with some of Hercanic's suggestions. I've decided I like having the information on the individual mods. I don't think I'll easily be able to do a report view (the sortable list with columns and headers) without a layout overhaul (I like the compactness of this one. :P) Would it work nicely to double-click a mod in the list and have the list go away to show the information about the mod (much like I did in the Options screenshots)? In the list itself it could show "Mod Name vx[.x]".

The fields I am considering (probably taken from Hercanic's list) are:
  • Name
  • Filename
  • Mod Version
  • SC Version
  • Author
  • Website link
  • Mod Type (MPQDraft, MemGraft, etc.)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 14 2008, 7:34 pm by FaRTy1billion.

Nov 14 2008, 8:37 pm poiuy_qwert Post #56

PyMS and ProTRG developer

I think thats a great idea. I can't wait till you're done, it sounds sick so far!

Nov 17 2008, 12:27 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #57

👻 👾 👽 💪

Is there any mod-specific run/play actions that should exist for the library? I was thinking ToggleNX, but if you need that then you may always need it... However if you are running a mod on the current patch then ToggleNX will make it not work.
Soon I will create the library database controls, so any more information should be suggested now.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 17 2008, 1:01 am by FaRTy1billion.

Nov 22 2008, 5:23 am pneumatic Post #58

1. Navigation: When you open up the program, the listbox of patches should receive the focus (in addition to being displayed by default). Then, all you have to do is key down to the one you want, then hit Enter. Then Alt+F4 to leave the program. Or even an Exit button that you can key down to, like in SCD3. The fewer keystrokes, the better.

That way, you can patch your SC using only the keyboard, which is what I love about SCD3.

You just have to make sure the patching window receives focus when the program opens. A lot of badly written Windows programs, like AIM, don't receive focus when they open up, even when they're on top and seemingly selected.

SCD3 is even more amazing in that you only need the arrow and enter keys... although maybe that's not feasible with SCD4? Also, with your tabbed layout, Ctl+Tab to move between tabs would be very useful. For me, a Windows program is successful if I can use its essential functions using only the keyboard.

SCD3 was extremely well laid out and easy to use. If SCD4 lives up to that, it's successful in my book.

2. CL mode: I would love a command line mode. You could denote the patch version via an argument/option. If not the actual patch number, then at least a character denoting it... for example, /v:a (or /a) could be 1.00, /v:b (or /b) could be 1.01 (or whatever the next patch was). The option /help would display the code for each patch number.

3. Sound: SC sounds would sound neat, but please, please please include an option to disable them. Having your volume turned up for music + win apps making noise = not fun.

4. Mod Library: The mod library should not check the database every time the user wants to patch. What if I wanted to play a mod but my internet was down? Errors. And what if I knew the database was wrong, or simply wanted to use my own settings for a mod? Also, I don't like programs to access the internet unless I explicitly tell them to.

If any part of the mod library is automated, there should definitely be an option to de-automate, and let the user input the info himself.

An add folder button seems sufficient to locate the mods.

5. Mod Details: As for details for the mods, as long as the feature allows you to use the keyboard to do everything essential (like select the mod to play), then the details box replacing the mod list should be ok... as long as you can get back using the keyboard.

Anyway, sounds great. I'm glad you're working on it. Can't wait to see it released.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 22 2008, 5:30 am by razorsnail.

Nov 22 2008, 6:14 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #59

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from name:razorsnail
1. Navigation: When you open up the program, the listbox of patches should receive the focus (in addition to being displayed by default). Then, all you have to do is key down to the one you want, then hit Enter. Then Alt+F4 to leave the program. Or even an Exit button that you can key down to, like in SCD3. The fewer keystrokes, the better.

That way, you can patch your SC using only the keyboard, which is what I love about SCD3.

You just have to make sure the patching window receives focus when the program opens. A lot of badly written Windows programs, like AIM, don't receive focus when they open up, even when they're on top and seemingly selected.
I definitely agree with that. xD Often times I ditch the mouse for the convenience of hotkeys.

SCD3 is even more amazing in that you only need the arrow and enter keys... although maybe that's not feasible with SCD4? Also, with your tabbed layout, Ctl+Tab to move between tabs would be very useful. For me, a Windows program is successful if I can use its essential functions using only the keyboard.
Actually, in SCD3 you can ditch the Enter key and just hit the right key to select something. ;)

SCD3 was extremely well laid out and easy to use. If SCD4 lives up to that, it's successful in my book.
I'm trying to make this as easy to use for everyone as possible. ;)

2. CL mode: I would love a command line mode. You could denote the patch version via an argument/option. If not the actual patch number, then at least a character denoting it... for example, /v:a (or /a) could be 1.00, /v:b (or /b) could be 1.01 (or whatever the next patch was). The option /help would display the code for each patch number.
I could just use the internal naming format: "sc1.00", "bw1.15.1". It's really easy.

3. Sound: SC sounds would sound neat, but please, please please include an option to disable them. Having your volume turned up for music + win apps making noise = not fun.
Ah, of course. I have pleanty of experience with that. :P

4. Mod Library: The mod library should not check the database every time the user wants to patch. What if I wanted to play a mod but my internet was down? Errors. And what if I knew the database was wrong, or simply wanted to use my own settings for a mod? Also, I don't like programs to access the internet unless I explicitly tell them to.

If any part of the mod library is automated, there should definitely be an option to de-automate, and let the user input the info himself.
I wasn't planning on making it check the DB real-time, just when something is added (once it has information, it would be a bit excessive to get it many times... plus it would drain my bandwidth.) Also what I had in mind was it would make the little form for adding the mod and it would just auto-guess what to fill. You would be able to immediately override it.

5. Mod Details: As for details for the mods, as long as the feature allows you to use the keyboard to do everything essential (like select the mod to play), then the details box replacing the mod list should be ok... as long as you can get back using the keyboard.
Yeah. Just need to learn how to enable tabbing (I think it is just a style I overlooked... I think it is pretty low-level in the windows kernel.)

Anyway, sounds great. I'm glad you're working on it. Can't wait to see it released.
Me too. :D

Nov 26 2008, 8:45 am KrayZee Post #60

Changeable background.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum