Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Methylene blue prank
Methylene blue prank
Sep 15 2007, 1:47 pm
By: Clokr_  

Sep 15 2007, 1:47 pm Clokr_ Post #1

Quote from Wikipedia
Methylene blue is highly stable in the human body, and if ingested, it resists the acidic environment of the stomach as well as the many hydrolytic enzymes present. It is not significantly metabolized by the liver, and is instead quickly filtered out by the kidneys. A common prank among chemists and biochemists of the early and middle 20th century was to to add small amounts of methylene blue (generally a few drops of a stain solution sufficed) to coffee, cola, or another dark beverage.[citation needed] The stain's color was masked by the beverage, and its taste is fairly faint. Within a few hours, the methylene blue was removed by the prank victim's kidneys, which caused his or her urine to change color[9] The urine may become green if little methylene blue was added; larger amounts create a deep blue color. The prank is fairly harmless if small amounts of methylene blue are used.

?????

Sep 15 2007, 2:12 pm Zell. Post #2

haha thats funny. it freek the shit out of me lol

None.

Sep 15 2007, 2:44 pm JordanN Post #3

Wait does this work for kidneys only or does it work for the intestines also?

None.

Sep 15 2007, 2:53 pm Clokr_ Post #4

Intestines absorb it to the blood, then kidneys remove it to the urine.

Methylene blue is a common substance in biology laboratories. It's used to prepare things to examine them using the microscopy. It also has some other properties (liking killing fungi and such).

Wikipedia: Methylene Blue

?????

Sep 15 2007, 9:16 pm Forsaken Archer Post #5

Funny.

However, before you kiddies think of doing this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylene_blue#Adverse_Reactions
If you add too much, it can be harmful.

None.

Sep 15 2007, 9:25 pm Demented Shaman Post #6

I think I remember using that in biology where we used microscopes and stained the specimens on the slides.

None.

Options
  Back to forum