Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Projects > Topic: Human Warzone
Human Warzone
Sep 6 2008, 8:27 pm
By: Sand Wraith  

Sep 6 2008, 8:27 pm Sand Wraith Post #1

she/her

Original Maplantis thread. Some laughs over there. More descriptive? I dunno.

-

Requires StarCraft: Brood War v1.15.1

-

Human Warzone

-

Download:
Human Warzone vBeta4c.zip - Current version. - (SEN DLDB Server; which I support and ask you to support too.)
Human Warzone vBeta4b.zip (SEN DLDB Server; which I support and ask you to support too.)
Human Warzone vBeta4.zip (SEN DLDB Server; which I support and ask you to support too.)
Human Warzone vBeta3.zip
Human Warzone vBeta2.zip
Human Warzone vBeta.zip

Summary: (Created with Human Warzone vBeta4 in mind)

A mod that I posted on Maplantis before, which I advertised like mad (but I promise not to again this time around; besides, that wastes bandwidth).

This mod was originally inspired by a map of the same name, which I will try to explain the basic premises of it now; however, my memory is not in excellent condition, so it will probably more inaccurate than accurate.
The map "Human Warzone" was a map that I had played on Battle.Net one night. Basically, each race was as drastically different as was possible through the standard StarCraft Campaign Editor. I can't remember the Terrans, although I think their mechanical units were stronger and generally, everything non-biological was faster and easier to build (assuming that that is why I made my Terrans like that). Zerg had retardedly cheap units and structures (that were built instantly), and were rather strong and imbalanced in the aspect that the units themselves were still quite strong. Protoss was amazingly defencive and powerful in that aspect of defence. The gameplay was slow, except for Zerg.
Needless to say, I found the map completely inane. However, it was so astonishing to a point that I was compelled to (try to) make a balanced version of it, which would retain the extreme qualities of each race yet make gameplay twenty times faster. So, I started making a mod based off of those qualities, including the insanity.

Now, in this mod, the Terrans have faster built mechanical units/structures, iscripted infantry, a larger unit arsenal, and cheaper structures. Protoss have up to five upgrades for armour/shields/weapons, a small amount of extra units, and are more defencive up until they are fully/near-completely upgraded, which will then allow them to absolutely destroy (up until that fully upgraded point, they have a solid, not retardedly powerful, defence; or maybe it is too powerful). They have few inscript edits. The Zerg have cheaper units, near instantly built units, long-range defence with a twist in the Sunken Colony, and the best part is that they can go into negative food; I don't know why, but they can and if they go into it deep enough, they can make-do without Overlords. Their units are weaker, and usually iscripted in one or more ways. In general, all structures are much stronger and require vast numbers or prolonged assaults and heavy flanking to be successful (their air is probably overpowered at this point). I also might add, that although turtling and defencive structures is/are immensely powerful initially, by late-game, they will prove to be relatively useless compared to mobile units and siege units.

In conclusion, this mod is just me screwing around.
I still suggest trying it though!

-

Screenshots:

The first Zerg picture just shows how quickly and inexpensive it is to amass an army.

Just some skirmishing; note that none of the newer units can be seen, 'cause I was too busy massing Marines.

Some Protoss skirmishing; these show a few of the changes.

-

My closing statements (vBeta4) is that the mod looks a lot better than the first one. Yeah, that's about it. I might add more, might add less, I dunno. I'm just playing around with this, trying to put in cooler stuff or whatever. I suppose I'm sharing this with everybody because I want their opinions and (constructivelol) criticism. I find it semi-fun, mostly massing epic amounts of units and super-colliding into blood and steel, although it takes too long to finish the game 'cause the defence is always so strong... Still, someone else might enjoy it.

Without further ado, here it is.

Post has been edited 6 time(s), last time on Sep 29 2008, 10:42 pm by Hydrolisk.

Sep 10 2008, 1:27 pm Devourer Post #2

Hello

Mhhh... im sorry...
I didn't downloaded it, but
as I can see it in the pictures are only plasmas and weapons are changed... not one new graphic....

Make some GRP's and add maybe around one new unit per race... :unsure: :unsure:

Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Sep 12 2008, 10:40 pm Sand Wraith Post #3

she/her

That's funny. I distinctly remember adding around one new unit per race, with the exception of Zerg.

No wait, I did.

-

[Thinly disguised insult here.]

*Irritated.* At least I actually do other people the favour of trying out something (like a mod) before commenting.

Thanks for commenting anyways though (despite the completely arrogant and/or ignorant manner of it).

-

BTW: GRP editing haunts me like no tomorrow; don't bring it up. If anything, I'll get myself to try later.

Sep 13 2008, 12:57 am Hercanic Post #4

STF mod creator, Modcrafters.com admin, CampaignCreations.org staff

Dear Hydrolisk:
Your presentation is much improved from what I remember of your first thread about Human Warzone. =o) I cannot comment on the mod itself, though, as I'm currently not set up (bad connection and fresh SC install). What version of SC is this mod compatible with? Might want to add that to your first post, unless I missed it.

Sep 13 2008, 1:06 am Symmetry Post #5

Dungeon Master

There are some neat ideas and neat iscript effects, but balance is completely out the window :P Oh, and the supply system is really messed up for the Zerg race.

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Sep 13 2008, 1:34 am Sand Wraith Post #6

she/her

As soon as I figure out modelling and GRP editing and etc., I'm gonna be a bit more serious about modding.
(Again, this mod is just working out the modding muscles (Oh Hell, that was a really BAD analogy).)

Sep 23 2008, 10:22 pm Sand Wraith Post #7

she/her

Updated with vBeta4b. I fixed the Dragoon to deal damage (if it didn't before). It might have stopped dealing damage only since I started modding again AFTER I saved vBeta4, so there's a chance vBeta4b will do nothing. At all.

-

If I can get another computer of mine setup, it has one of my iscript mods, and has some pretty cool and subtle effects in it, which I plan to incorporate in Human Warzone for vBeta5. After that, I plan to put some finishing touches on this mod and releasing vAwesome. (Yes, seriously.)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 23 2008, 11:31 pm by Hydrolisk.

Sep 24 2008, 12:30 am Pandut Post #8

I'm just a fish

I can provide sounds to spice it up if you wish :)

None.

Sep 24 2008, 9:22 pm Sand Wraith Post #9

she/her

Pfff. This is coming from me; don't waste your resources on this.

-

If you're going to waste anything, I suggest your breath; I need constructive (or not) criticism more than anything else at the moment.

Sep 24 2008, 10:16 pm Centreri Post #10

Relatively ancient and inactive

I was going to waste my constructive feedback, but I'll take your advice and waste my breath instead. LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA.

On another note, I think that even though the units are different, they look completely the same and that kind of messes it up. A few new GRP's here and there (more then you have), new attack animations, new attacks (so protoss don't get the standard photon cannon attack - maybe a fireball attack :P), etc. Still, nice iscripting.

None.

Sep 27 2008, 5:04 am Sand Wraith Post #11

she/her

I have a question about a few miscellaneous things...

Who is normally around on BWAI? It's a rather different community from my understanding, and I have half a mind to also host this on BWAI. Could anybody tell me more about BWAI before I become more active there?

Sep 27 2008, 5:20 am bajadulce Post #12

WHAT is BWAI.com?

Ya we're a bit different. Originally, just a central place for our small family to hang out, we've evolved into more of a Single Player Support Headquarters. If you need help with writing a script for your mod OR just modding in general then stop by. If you're looking for a "FUN" place to hang out then sorry, we're pretty boring. Actually we ARE extremely boring. WAAAAAAY Boring to be blunt. :)

nice mod btw. I remember reading about this at Maplantis. A custom Ai script would be a nice addition to your mod. Do you have any map experience? If so.. LOCUNLOC! and cutom aiscript = GOLD! Or even a fun modded campaign! or some cool UMS maps for your mod. Mod nights could use that extra BANG to get them going again. Playing mods over and over in melee or against silly computers can get a bit old. .. go for it.

None.

Sep 27 2008, 6:56 am Sand Wraith Post #13

she/her

Well, that's cool and awesome and everything, but I can't take this mod seriously enough to do the things you suggested. LocUnloc looks a little complicated, I tried to dabble in AIscripting, and I've done a little bit of mapping, but those three fields I've yet to become moderately good at. The truth is, this mod is just a little testing and experimental mod, or a learning experience.

I bet I could pull something better. As soon as I get a plan up, I'm going to start working on my new mod. In fact, I think I might just leave Human Warzone at vBeta4b and just move on to something fuller, especially since I don't think I'll have enough space to set up my other computer which has some neat stuff inside. Ah well.

-

So yeah, I'll be letting this project die now, I think. I would still like constructive criticism though; I'm not finished learning.

Sep 27 2008, 4:42 pm poiuy_qwert Post #14

PyMS and ProTRG developer

BWAI is a fairly quiet, yet very mature and enjoyable little community. I don't know what baja is talking about when he said its not fun, because I have much more fun there then on any other modding related forums, its just mature fun that is on topic more often then not. Since maplantis went down it's been the most comfortable SC and modding related community to me.

The only constructive criticism I can think of is: use custom graphics or at least edited (recolored) graphics, use firegraft to make a different type of gameplay, keep on iscripting, and do something never done before if possible!

Sep 29 2008, 10:44 pm Sand Wraith Post #15

she/her

Updated with vBeta4c. Most likely the last version, unless there is a "finished" (*scoff*) version.

-

The original Maplantis thread was also included, mostly for the lulz and giggles.

I wonder what people think of the mod now. Hmmm...

-

I think I HW is just about finished now, or at least in the sense that I can now move on to greater things, or something. Meh.

Oct 7 2008, 9:55 am Hercanic Post #16

STF mod creator, Modcrafters.com admin, CampaignCreations.org staff

Starcraft add-on mods never really held my attention, as it can sometimes be hard to tell where edits were made.

I did not thoroughly test the mod, but I browsed through as Terran and observed Protoss and Zerg AI duke it out. As a learning mod, you did a good job. Balance-wise, basic Marines with all that splash seemed a little overly-potent.

What kind of critiques are you looking for specifically to help you with future projects?

Oct 10 2008, 10:47 pm Sand Wraith Post #17

she/her

Now that I've started planning on my next modding project, I know now what I need critique most on.

I require critique mostly on iscript and race balance, especially when races exceed the number 3. I also require general critique on creativity and unit balance.

Options
  Back to forum