Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Showcase > Topic: Dungeon Escape
Dungeon Escape
Aug 10 2008, 8:18 am
By: Psionic_Storm
Pages: < 1 2 3

Aug 20 2008, 6:21 am UnholyUrine Post #41

I'm going to give this baby a run down.. because I really liked the game and it had Real potential!

Let's start with the Pros
  • Great Theme.. It's like the Puzzling.. But actually an RPG.. but with puzzles... I'm confused.. but in a good way
  • The surrealism in the game is great. The use of sprites, terrain, and sfx's fit the game nicely. The only thing that could make it better is adding sfx's that loops (like water dropping.. or low bass sounds or w/e). With that, you can also mute all the sfx sounds in boss levels to make it even more awesome!
  • Boss levels (i only played the first one) is great. From what i see, the Boss's dificulty and puzzles are just on the dot
  • Now I haven't played most of the game.. but from the replies here, i can tell it's great.

Now the Cons that really really pisses me off (sorry if I go AVGN on you.. heheh)
  • There is NO Fucking Storyline!! That's a HUGE problem with this game. Sure, you might be thinking "well Puzzling didn't need a Storyline". But that's completely different. Puzzling is a Puzzle map.. A One of a Kind Puzzle map. This is a Mix.. and needs the best of both RPG and Puzzles. Even if you just thrown in a cliche storyline, the game would've been much better, because players will feel that they have the Need to sit through and Figure out all the Puzzles for a Reason other than to finish them.. which is to know what happens in the end. ANYTHING would've made this game SOO much more replayable!
  • The General Enemies are just way to hard on your ass. In both Puzzle and RPG Perspective, the enemies do too much dmg, and you just upgrade way too slow to affect them. By the time you can finally fend off 5 zerglings without taking a potion, You get shoved Hydra acid up your ass. WTF? >:C I just beat the first boss, and now you're giving me an enemy LESS micro-managable than the boss!! I can't kill all those Hydras. You HAVE to be more lenient on the enemy to hero dmg. It just ruins the Puzzle aspect.. You sit and figure out the puzzles, just to get your ass wiped by zerglings and hydras...
  • Now the MAJOR MAJOR Problem why this isn't replayable. I know this really isn't your fault cause you were going for a one player game.. But One player really just doesn't work. Even two players doesn't work (An example would be "So it begins" by i forgot some famous dude). You gotta have three or more people in one game. Not only does it affect the gameplay dramatically, it gives the players a sense of company and hope. What better feeling in a game then to work together? Why do we still play SC? It is because it is Multiplayer, and is Highly Customizable!

Now don't get me wrong.. it's a GREAT Game. But I just couldn't play it anymore after the 1st boss.. there's just seems to be better things to do :S.

None.

Aug 20 2008, 7:56 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #42

👻 👾 👽 💪

woo. I just won.
I think I missed some gold somewhere... I ended up with 35 out of 45 (or something... I was 10 less.) Once I upgraded I killed ghosts just fine. And then once I upgraded again, I killed the Demons just fine.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Aug 20 2008, 1:40 pm Impeached Post #43

# There is NO Fucking Storyline!! That's a HUGE problem with this game. Sure, you might be thinking "well Puzzling didn't need a Storyline". But that's completely different. Puzzling is a Puzzle map.. A One of a Kind Puzzle map. This is a Mix.. and needs the best of both RPG and Puzzles. Even if you just thrown in a cliche storyline, the game would've been much better, because players will feel that they have the Need to sit through and Figure out all the Puzzles for a Reason other than to finish them.. which is to know what happens in the end. ANYTHING would've made this game SOO much more replayable!
How so? Some storyline, even a great one, would've gotten in the way of the good gameplay. I don't see how it could be implemented well without getting in the player's face.

Anyway, here's a storyline: You're a zealot, you were made to take memory erasing drugs and got thrown in a dungeon. :P

Now the MAJOR MAJOR Problem why this isn't replayable. I know this really isn't your fault cause you were going for a one player game.. But One player really just doesn't work. Even two players doesn't work (An example would be "So it begins" by i forgot some famous dude). You gotta have three or more people in one game. Not only does it affect the gameplay dramatically, it gives the players a sense of company and hope. What better feeling in a game then to work together? Why do we still play SC? It is because it is Multiplayer, and is Highly Customizable!
Yeah! They should make the campaign multiplayer too. This was made for single player, and optimized for single player. The puzzles are more difficult alone, and without chat, you can get into the game more, imo.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 20 2008, 5:04 pm by Impeached.

None.

Aug 20 2008, 4:57 pm Psionic_Storm Post #44

Version 1.1.0 is now available!

Changes:
remade a few puzzles (thx to Lethal_Illusion and SelfPossessed for room 5;8 ^^)
added a potion in level 3
fixed the double-teleportation bug
reduced final boss hp
changed a few effects
minor fixes

Link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?71vumk0yd6m

P.S. Should I upload the new version to SEN?

None.

Aug 20 2008, 5:16 pm UnholyUrine Post #45

Quote from Impeached
How so? Some storyline, even a great one, would've gotten in the way of the good gameplay. I don't see how it could be implemented well without getting in the player's face.

A ez way would be to put Letters or Diaries left in corners or something. With that, the gameplay is not hindered. One can also do little intros for bosses (but then again.. letters are fine)

Yeah! They should make the campaign multiplayer too. This was made for single player, and optimized for single player. The puzzles are more difficult alone, and without chat, you can get into the game more, imo.

I know that the maker was trying to get us into the game more. You can tell by him completely ignoring my post above me <__<.. (as i said, i'm only doing this cause i like this game) IMO, the game itself is not absolutely popular because it isn't multiplayer.. but it's impossible to change it now. So, maybe you should do the next version with 3 players or more.

None.

Aug 20 2008, 6:03 pm Psionic_Storm Post #46

Quote from UnholyUrine
I know that the maker was trying to get us into the game more. You can tell by him completely ignoring my post above me <__<.. (as i said, i'm only doing this cause i like this game) IMO, the game itself is not absolutely popular because it isn't multiplayer.. but it's impossible to change it now. So, maybe you should do the next version with 3 players or more.

I have not ignored your post, i just didn't yet find out what to answer. And that is because i agree with you mostly.

The story... yeah, it would indeed be better if it had one, but the reason i didn't make any is that i think no story is better than a crappy one. Sadly, i have always been bad at making up stories, and a good one for this map would have been seriously hard for me, so i've just done it like that.

About players number... as you and others said it, this map was designed for singleplayer, and can no longer be changed into a multiplayer one. Even though sp has its advantages too, like, as imp said, you can get into the game more, i totally agree with you that mp is more fun and interesting. Thus if i ever make an other, similar map, i will definitely use more players.

And finally the enemies... well this is the part i sorta disagree with. There are easier/harder fights and puzzles, and it depends on the people which they find harder. Imo, weakening the enemies would mess up the difficulty pretty much - you could just go through them without any effort, needing not to search for potions and stuff, and then only the puzzles would be any challenge in the map. But for that, The Puzzling is obviously better.

Thank you for your constructive criticism, it was a great help to hear about the cons too. :)

None.

Aug 20 2008, 8:28 pm Impeached Post #47

Impeached just got pwned. :stfu:
Though I think the map is as good as puzzle can get atm. Good job Psi.

None.

Aug 20 2008, 8:40 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #48

👻 👾 👽 💪

I liked the map. Once I found a map room it was a fun little quest trying to locate them. :D

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Aug 20 2008, 10:37 pm ClansAreForGays Post #49

Don't you feel bad now urine?

Now stop lallygagging and get back to work on Temple Siege. We are all very sick of 65 mp mael.

Aug 23 2008, 9:12 pm Symmetry Post #50

Dungeon Master

I agree that the enemies were a little tough... I love the puzzle portion of the map, and I'd love to be able to play that without having to worry about being killed so easily. Perhaps difficulty settings are in order?

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Aug 26 2008, 3:04 pm Zergblender Post #51

I do not approve of any changes to the difficulty.
It is balanced and challenging as it should be.
If you don't want to fight tough opponents you should play the puzzling.

None.

Aug 26 2008, 4:14 pm Symmetry Post #52

Dungeon Master

Quote from Zergblender
I do not approve of any changes to the difficulty.
It is balanced and challenging as it should be.
If you don't want to fight tough opponents you should play the puzzling.

I have, and I loved it :P That's why I want the enemies to be a little less tough.

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Aug 26 2008, 5:39 pm Psionic_Storm Post #53

Are you playing on LAN? If not, you should, without the latency it is way easier to do the non-puzzle parts.

p.s. new version under development :P

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum