Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Discussion > Topic: BWAI Downgrader v1.16.1.e
BWAI Downgrader v1.16.1.e
Jul 25 2008, 10:07 pm
By: bajadulce
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Feb 8 2009, 4:06 am bajadulce Post #41

I pulled the program last night to fix a bug with the previous 1.16.1 version. Fixed for 1.16.1.b BUT there are some new restrictions.

UPDATE:
BWAI Downgrader v1.16.1.b
fixed a bug that crashed 1.14-1.15.2 if you tried to open options/speed menu.
removed all of foreign language locale Id's. ONLY SUPPORTS ENGLISH SCRAFT INSTALLS NOW.
reduced the # of patch_rt.mpq's from 3 to 2. (1.07 & 1.10). The program now adds the updated files to patch_rt.mpq as needed.
You get 1.07, 1.10, 1.14, 1.15.0, 1.15.1, and 1.16.1 for 7mb. I can't do better than that.
BWAI Downgrader uses .7z compression..

None.

Feb 10 2009, 4:44 am ShadowFlare Post #42

For PvPGN servers using the release versions, as of 1.8.3 disabling data execution prevention is no longer necessary to connect since the bug causing the crash has been fixed. I suppose it may still be useful for certain mods, though, if any mods were dependent on having that disabled or for connecting to servers that haven't been updated yet (I updated mine just today to 1.8.4. I didn't know an update had been available since July that fixed that. :P ).

I don't know if I considered it or knew about it when I made my no-cd patch, but it is definitely useful for those who want to downgrade SC and only have the official download version. My patch may not do it exactly like the official patch did, but I'm probably never going to fix that; I figure that most people will never actually be downgrading to play something on the regular SC campaign (on 1.04+), and if they did want to, there are multiple workarounds that can be used for that - the easiest is to rename or move BroodWar.mpq.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Feb 10 2009, 4:55 am by ShadowFlare.

None.

Feb 18 2009, 5:52 am Keirebu Post #43

Finally a downgrader with support for Blizzards E-installation! But of course I run into another problem, I've asked this question before, "if you downgrade, can you still play in-some way with friends?" And they said you can use P-server's, Like Shadow Flares, But whenever I use ANY version and downgrade, I can't even log into ANY private server, (I Select the server, Hit go, And it Starts to load, Then Goes back to server selection x_x). So is there ANY way to downgrade your SC, AND play it with friends? x_X

None.

Feb 18 2009, 7:45 pm bajadulce Post #44

Quote from ShadowFlare
For PvPGN servers using the release versions, as of 1.8.3 disabling data execution prevention is no longer necessary to connect since the bug causing the crash has been fixed.
Ah good to know. I still am using XP myself.

Quote from Keirebu
whenever I use ANY version and downgrade, I can't even log into ANY private server, (I Select the server, Hit go, And it Starts to load, Then Goes back to server selection x_x). So is there ANY way to downgrade your SC, AND play it with friends? x_X
Can you connect to these same private servers without downgrading?

None.

Feb 18 2009, 9:18 pm ShadowFlare Post #45

If that's the person who was trying to get on my server with Hercanic and Lavarinth yesterday, then yes.

None.

Feb 18 2009, 10:46 pm Keirebu Post #46

Yes I can connect to the servers without downgrading, But what's the point of even playing on them if your not going to downgrade and play mods with friends x_x?

None.

Feb 19 2009, 1:22 am bajadulce Post #47

My question was an attempt to isolate the variables. This latest downgrader has been reduced in size dramatically for several reasons. Basically, I am using 1.10 patch_rt.mpq for everything and just adding the few updated files as the patches progress. Before, the downgrader would use each patch_rt.mpq in its full form and was considerably larger in size. I missed the new .bin file that came with 1.16.1 and so its possible that I missed another file, but I don't think so. If you'd like to help isolate the problem with the downgrader, you could use an official Blizzard patcher to test your connection. There are ways to use an older Blizzard patcher, but the easiest method would be to just downgrade below the Blizzard patcher. Here's how:

1. Downgrade using this program to a version below your intended test version. (say you want to run 1.15.1.. then downgrade to 1.15 or 1.14, or 1.10, etc.)
2. Download an official patcher from Blizzard for the intended version you wish to play here.
3. See if you connect to private sever now.

You will need your CD of course, or a mounted .iso whatever, but at least we will know if there's something wrong with the downgrader/files.

None.

Feb 19 2009, 1:35 am Keirebu Post #48

Quote from bajadulce
You will need your CD of course, or a mounted .iso whatever, but at least we will know if there's something wrong with the downgrader/files.
Like I said, I use The E-Installation, I have long lost my SC CD, Hence why I used this with the no-cd thingy, because if I downgraded before I would need a CD, And I dont have that. So I can't Mount an Iso I don't have, Or use a CD I don't have :/. I can connect just fine If I use the Current Bnet files, I can connect to all the servers, But if I Downgrade to any version other than the current, I can't connect to anything :/.

None.

Feb 19 2009, 2:32 am bajadulce Post #49

Oh.. I see. What version SC are you trying to downgrade to btw? I'll send you a private link that uses 100% files for you to test. I assume downgraded Singleplayer works fine?

None.

Feb 19 2009, 2:36 am ShadowFlare Post #50

You could also try downgrading with something else then use this program:

http://sfsrealm.hopto.org/download/SFNoCD.zip

Follow the instructions that are included.

None.

Feb 19 2009, 2:41 am bajadulce Post #51

yes, that's what I mean by "100%" accurate files. Use an official Blizzard patcher + SFno-cd program to alter your starcraft.exe. These are the files I was suggesting I could send you to try.

None.

Feb 19 2009, 4:00 am ShadowFlare Post #52

I have the download version installed on another computer, btw.

I've been doing some testing with it just now, and I've found that for some reason it doesn't want to accept the battle.snp from anything older than 1.15.2 when using the download version. I've confirmed that I can get on my server with 1.15.1 if I use battle.snp from 1.15.2 or 1.16.1.

So, if you want to get it working now, before the downgrader is updated, just make a copy of your battle.snp when you have it at the current version, then overwrite battle.snp with that copy after you downgrade. This won't work for versions that are too old to support that battle.snp file, though. I'm copying over my files from an installation of it from the oldest versions of the CDs possible: Starcraft 1.00 and Brood War 1.04 (since that's what I have).

I'll need to figure out what specifically is making this happen in the first place. When I figure it out, I'll let you know what changes need to be made, bajadulce. I'd guess that it most likely has something to do with the contents of some file in StarDat.mpq or BrooDat.mpq being updated.

Post has been edited 5 time(s), last time on Feb 19 2009, 4:16 am by ShadowFlare.

None.

Feb 19 2009, 4:20 am Keirebu Post #53

Quote from ShadowFlare
I have the download version installed on another computer, btw.

I've been doing some testing with it just now, and I've found that for some reason it doesn't want to accept the battle.snp from anything older than 1.15.2 when using the download version. I've confirmed that I can get on my server with 1.15.1 if I use battle.snp from 1.15.2 or 1.16.1.

So, if you want to get it working now, before the downgrader is updated, just make a copy of your battle.snp when you have it at the current version, then overwrite battle.snp with that copy after you downgrade. This won't work for versions that are too old to support that battle.snp file, though. I'm copying over my files from an installation of it from the oldest versions of the CDs possible: Starcraft 1.00 and Brood War 1.04 (since that's what I have).

I'll need to figure out what specifically is making this happen in the first place. When I figure it out, I'll let you know what changes need to be made, bajadulce. I'd guess that it most likely has something to do with the contents of some file in StarDat.mpq or BrooDat.mpq being updated.
Using the Battle.snp file from 1.16.1 when i downgrade to 1.15.1 lets me use all the Private servers, Thanks for all the help guys. ^-^

And yes to answer the questions, Everything else works perfectly except for using any servers, but when I use 1.16.1's Battle.snp everything works just fine ;D.

Before I tried swapping the Battle.snp I tried All of Sc's Versions, And they only work when I use the Battle.snp from the newest version.

Another big thanks to Shadowflare and Bajadulce for all the help, and Finally fixing my problem ^-^.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 19 2009, 4:27 am by Keirebu.

None.

Feb 19 2009, 4:41 am ShadowFlare Post #54

OK, confirmed. It does have something to do with StarDat.mpq. At this point, I'm suspecting the different CD key mechanism (which would also explain why a newer battle.snp is needed).

None.

Feb 19 2009, 4:45 am Keirebu Post #55

Well, I don't really know whats causing it o.o, But for a Temporary fix, I just opened the downgrader in WinMPQ, And Replaced 1.15 and 1.15.1's Battle.snp's with 1.16.1's, And it works perfectly for 1.15 and 1.15.1, So now I can switch between them and Current without copying The Battle.snp ;D.

None.

Feb 19 2009, 4:54 am ShadowFlare Post #56

Also, it appears that to get the newer battle.snp working with 1.10 (like for Mesk's mods), you can use the newer storm.dll. I'm unsure yet whether this would have any effect on whether those mods would run or not. I'm guessing they would still run fine, though.

None.

Feb 19 2009, 7:42 pm bajadulce Post #57

Sounds as tho maybe the e-installation uses a different cd-key encryption than the standard stardat.mpq?
Ok, glad you two were able to find the culprit as well as solution. thnkyou.

Question: Sounds as tho I can do away with providing version specific battle.snp and storm.dll for each version, and just use the 1.16.1 ones for all? That would save a lot of space for next upgrade. Also, would a single 1.16.1 battle.snp work for those of us with normal installs too? i.e. not e-install. Guess I'll do some tests.

None.

Feb 19 2009, 9:11 pm ShadowFlare Post #58

If the newer storm.dll version won't work, then you can't use the newer battle.snp either. I don't know if there are any other potential problems that could happen related to it or not. Anyway, all I've tested is down to 1.10.

None.

Feb 19 2009, 10:14 pm alexpnd Post #59

It was a stupid move on my part but I had datedit open while i tried to downgrade to 1.10 :S patch mpq was open or something and it failed to finish the process. leaving me with no starcraft.exe and a whole install to do haha. bumber.

None.

Feb 20 2009, 5:06 am bajadulce Post #60

All the way to 1.10 is great. I'll give 1.07 a try.

Yes, sorry. Neither Datedit nor Starcraft can be open. I'll be sure to mention that in any future version. However, IF you accidentally do that again, just close datedit and run the downgrader a 2nd time. Part of the downgrading process is to place various versions of starcraft.exe into your directory.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 >
  Back to forum