Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Showcase > Topic: Crystal Puzzle
Crystal Puzzle
Jul 8 2008, 6:58 am
By: O)FaRTy1billion[MM]  

Jul 8 2008, 6:58 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #1

👻 👾 👽 💪

Crystal Puzzle is a small puzzle map where you use Dark Swarm to cycle through three crystal states. It will change where you target and the 4 adjacent crystals.
Khaydarin changes into Khalis, Khalis changes into Uraj, and Uraj changes back into Khaydarin.
To beat the level, you must make all of the crystals Uraj.

There are eight levels:

Level 8 is buggy. >.> I don't quite know why.

Screenshots:

Download!

Code
MapStats v1.0  by O)FaRTy1billion

Filename: C:\Program Files\Starcraft\maps\Crystal.scx
MPQ Size:   28577 B   CHK Size:  174158 B
Version:  Brood War   Tileset: Space Platform
Humans: 6   Computers: 2   Dimensions:  64x 32
Units:            698 / 1700  ( 41%) [   25128 B]
Doodads:            0                [       0 B]
Sprites:            0 / 499   (  0%) [   25128 B]
Strings:           47 /  1024 (  4%) [    3328 B]
Str Capacity:    1230 / 62462 (  1%)
CUWP Slots:   Section not found.
Locations:         20 / 255   (  7%) [    5100 B]
Triggers:          41                [   98400 B]
Briefings:          1                [    2400 B]
WAVs:         Section not found.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Death threats?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 8 2008, 7:07 am by FaRTy1billion.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Jul 8 2008, 7:03 am Test Post #2

Whoa! Did you finally finish it? Are the last levels tested? Can you beat them yourself yet? :P

This game is so fun. I'm gonna play it tomorrow!!

None.

Jul 8 2008, 7:04 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #3

👻 👾 👽 💪

Level 8 is buggy.. but I can beat up to 8. >.>
I may add more levels. I can beat it in less than 5 minutes (but then again I've spent hours finding the solutions. :P)

EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Jul 8 2008, 7:23 am Kaias Post #4

I think I've played I game like this before, Lights out, I think it was (not SC related game)

I can already see the solution to the first three levels, upon brief examination

None.

Jul 8 2008, 7:24 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #5

👻 👾 👽 💪

Yeah, they aren't very hard at all. :P
Pubbies usually get stuck on two... Though, amazingly someone got to five tonight before quitting. >.>

Jul 8 2008, 7:25 am DT_Battlekruser Post #6

I don't have time to think about it mathematically, but I would suggest finding a way to randomly generate a puzzle of given difficulty; the map is not very replayable if it's the exact same puzzle and solution each time. I absolutely love the concept though.

None.

Jul 8 2008, 7:26 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #7

👻 👾 👽 💪

If I could think of at least the basics of some sort of algorithm I would do that. >.> But yeah, I was questioning replayability earlier.

What type of puzzle would this be? Maybe I could find one online.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 8 2008, 7:36 am by FaRTy1billion.

Jul 8 2008, 7:41 am Kaias Post #8

Simple,
Just randomize the different tiles within playing field boundaries and do the opposite of a 'click there' (i.e. reverse cycle crystals, creating a khalis if empty)). Just do as many 'clicks' as you deem according to level difficulty.

That would be for starting on an empty field, which would create pretty chaotic results.

For something for civilized, make your field in urajs and then reverse of cycle a bunch of random 'clicks'. (Obviously not creating urajs in empty slots, in this case.

Because really, order of 'click' doesn't matter

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 8 2008, 7:47 am by Kaias. Reason: typo

None.

Jul 8 2008, 7:52 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #9

👻 👾 👽 💪

Hmm. Perhaps...

Or I could add a timer. You must beat all eight levels in like 10 minutes. Would that do? :P As you learn the first ones, you must do them quickly to learn to later ones.

Jul 8 2008, 12:23 pm Symmetry Post #10

Dungeon Master

I remember this map! I luvs it!

Oh, and I'm going to kill you.

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Jul 8 2008, 3:48 pm payne Post #11

:payne:

When will Puzzling 2 get out? :D :D :D
I LUV puzzle maps!! <3

None.

Jul 8 2008, 6:22 pm ATG Post #12

me too.I love puzzles that require really hard thought, so I believe this map is gonna be the next week-eater for me! Nice work Farty!

None.

Jul 9 2008, 7:55 pm Atlos Post #13

If you can think of a way to randomize each puzzle that would be badass, otherwise this is just a remake of Lights Out (done a few times). Good work though. :D

None.

Jul 10 2008, 12:33 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #14

👻 👾 👽 💪

I don't know what lights out is. ><

Yeah. Maybe I'll do randomization later. This is just a map I started a long time ago and decided to finish.

Jul 10 2008, 12:36 am Falkoner Post #15

This is just like the game Lights Out! I love that game, I think I'll especially enjoy this when I get home :P

Also, Farty, you should make an option in MapStats to export the data to a text file, I understand you can just copy and paste, but that would be handy :P

None.

Jul 10 2008, 2:27 am Zombiechao Post #16

The reset chrysalis doesn't work...

None.

Jul 10 2008, 3:32 am Demented Shaman Post #17

I think for randomization to make sure it's always solveable, just have it randomly toggle each crystal or whatever and each time it does it change the whatevers according to the rules. That's how I did my lights out map anyway.

None.

Jul 10 2008, 3:36 am Kaias Post #18

Quote from name:Urmom(U)
If you can think of a way to randomize each puzzle that would be badass, otherwise this is just a remake of Lights Out (done a few times). Good work though. :D

Quote from name:devilesk
I think for randomization to make sure it's always solveable, just have it randomly toggle each crystal or whatever and each time it does it change the whatevers according to the rules. That's how I did my lights out map anyway.

Quote from Kaias
Simple,
Just randomize the different tiles within playing field boundaries and do the opposite of a 'click there' (i.e. reverse cycle crystals, creating a khalis if empty)). Just do as many 'clicks' as you deem according to level difficulty.

That would be for starting on an empty field, which would create pretty chaotic results.

For something for civilized, make your field in urajs and then reverse of cycle a bunch of random 'clicks'. (Obviously not creating urajs in empty slots, in this case.

Yikes some people don't read

None.

Jul 10 2008, 4:14 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #19

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from Zombiechao
The reset chrysalis doesn't work...
How doesn't it?

wtf is Lights Out?
Edit: Looked it up on wikipedia. This has three states, not two. :P difficulty++;

Jul 10 2008, 4:20 am Demented Shaman Post #20

Quote from Kaias
Quote from name:Urmom(U)

Quote from name:devilesk

Quote from Kaias
Simple,

Yikes some people don't read
I only read good posts :rolleyes: And I don't care if I'm repeating what you said.

None.

Options
  Back to forum