Staredit Network > Forums > Portal News > Topic: Starcraft CZ's Exclusive Karune Q&A
Starcraft CZ's Exclusive Karune Q&A
Jun 6 2008, 9:11 am
By: Paravin.  

Jun 6 2008, 9:11 am Paravin. Post #1

It looks like another Starcraft fansite- StarcraftCZ has gotten an exclusive Q&A from Karune. It has some interesting info about the new units and abilities, and, without further wait, here is the direct quote:

Our fansite had a oportunity to ask Karune some questions. We have selected 20 questions from our Ask Karune thread and Karune has answered 8 of them. Here are his reactions:

1) How many units can Nydus Worm and Phase Prism transport (does it depend to number of units or population)? Is it possible to load Zerg defensive buildings to Nydus Worm? That means loading Sunken Colony to Nydus Worm, burrowing and getting into enemy Zerg base, unloading and taking roots in enemy creep.

The Nydus will be able to transport as many as can be selectable (which is currently 255). Phase Prisms will be able to transport the same amount of units as the transport from the original StarCraft. Zerg defensive buildings will not be able to be transported in a Nydus Worm.

2) Does the terrain in the game affect damage which deal shooting units? E.g. shooting down of cliff, hiding behind the trees...

Terrain will not affect damage, but will affect line of sight. Without LOS (line of sight), you will not be able to fire back at enemy units with LOS on your units.

3) Can Baneling explode at command? (for the best using damage radius, for killing cloaked units) Does a killed Baneling explode? Can it be actived like a mine? (it'll automatically explode when enemy unit gets closer) How can (immobile) Baneling hurt air units while they're lifted up by Nullifier's Anti-Gravity ability?

Banelings will not be able to explode on command. They will only explode on contact with an enemy unit or by a unit killing it. If Banelings are lifted up by Anti-Gravity and an air unit kills the Baneling, it will do damage to air units- which will be highly effectively against light units such as Mutalisks.

4) How complicated will it be to destroy Nydus Worm while moving?

In the current build, Nydus Worms are able to be seen while traversing the terrain. You do not need a detector to be able to see it traveling.

5)Is there some method in SC2, how Protoss can replenish their HP or shields or will they have to wait? Will Shield Battery replenish shields for buildings?

The Protoss will not be able to replenish their hit points unless they have allied Medivac Dropships healing them.

6) Does the Drop-pod's falling hurt units/buildings in place of falling?

The Drop Pods ability has been removed from the Ghost in multiplayer.

7) Are Reapers, while flying, considered ground or air unit?

Reapers are still considered ground units when they are jumping up and down from cliffs.

8) How does the final mosaic of I <3 SC contest look like? When will we able to see it, how many pictures is it in sum? What are its proportions?

This will be out very soon. Keep checking the I <3 SC page for updates.

And, since Moose wanted it: THAR SHE BLOWS!.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 6 2008, 8:17 pm by Paravin..

None.

Jun 6 2008, 3:13 pm Moose Post #2

We live in a society.

Source link please.

Jun 6 2008, 3:22 pm LoveLess Post #3

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Nydus Worm is sounding more and more queer. Either that, or Karune doesn't know how to answer questions properly.

None.

Jun 6 2008, 3:54 pm mikelat Post #4

Quote from LoveLess
Nydus Worm is sounding more and more queer. Either that, or Karune doesn't know how to answer questions properly.
There has to be balance involved. The nydus worm is like the nydus canal except you don't need creep to build it (which is a huge change for the zerg). If there isn't at least some indication that its coming then zerg players will tech to them ASAP so they don't have to deal with standard base defense choke points.

Honestly I think no matter what blizzard does people are going to be disappointed because they're setting themselves up to be. People's expectations are simply too high. How exactly do you go up from the perfect game?

None.

Jun 6 2008, 6:33 pm Falkoner Post #5

Hmm, no more drop pods for multiplayer kinda sucks... Oh well.. Also, knowing 255 units is the maximum selection is kinda handy, reminds me of using hacks in SC :P Also, I think that not getting advantages for being up cliffs and such, but instead having the LOS advantage kinda sucked, I loved being able to have enemy units miss..

None.

Jun 6 2008, 7:05 pm Kenoli Post #6

The I <3 SC photo mosaic is an incredibly disappointing letdown. It's filled with Blizzard's own examples, crappy images, and duplicates.
Browsing through the individual images is just depressing, and the overall image looks terrible.

One or two of the winners are pretty cool, but the rest are like WTF.

None.

Jun 6 2008, 8:23 pm Paravin. Post #7

Oh god, the last one is priceless.

None.

Jun 7 2008, 3:10 am pneumatic Post #8

Quote from Kenoli
The I <3 SC photo mosaic is an incredibly disappointing letdown. It's filled with Blizzard's own examples, crappy images, and duplicates.
Browsing through the individual images is just depressing, and the overall image looks terrible.

One or two of the winners are pretty cool, but the rest are like WTF.

I don't see how the first two are any better than the last one... like, come on.

As for getting expectations up, I'm looking forward more to being able to use a new engine/3D units/better scripting to be able to make new maps. With so many things changed/limits removed, there's going to be so many more possibilities, and so I focus on that, instead of individual gameplay issues.

None.

Jun 7 2008, 10:41 am Clokr_ Post #9

I'm just expecting it to be a whole different game from blizzard, not a SCI upgrade. That's probably what blizzard wants to make.

?????

Jun 7 2008, 3:46 pm LoveLess Post #10

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Quote from name:Yoshi
Quote from LoveLess
There has to be balance involved. The nydus worm is like the nydus canal except you don't need creep to build it (which is a huge change for the zerg). If there isn't at least some indication that its coming then zerg players will tech to them ASAP so they don't have to deal with standard base defense choke points. Honestly I think no matter what blizzard does people are going to be disappointed because they're setting themselves up to be. People's expectations are simply too high. How exactly do you go up from the perfect game?
I dont really have high expectations, like they said in that patch video, it did take a while to make SC the way it is today... So, I will keep off my high horse and wait it out. :stfu:

None.

Jun 7 2008, 7:07 pm Falkoner Post #11

The thing I'm going to love about this, is rather than making ideas based on what I can make maps of, I can begin to makes maps based off of ideas I make :P

None.

Jun 8 2008, 2:47 am pneumatic Post #12

Quote from Falkoner
The thing I'm going to love about this, is rather than making ideas based on what I can make maps of, I can begin to makes maps based off of ideas I make :P
Yeah, man. Good way to put it.

None.

Jun 8 2008, 5:25 am chuiu Post #13

2) Does the terrain in the game affect damage which deal shooting units? E.g. shooting down of cliff, hiding behind the trees...
Terrain will not affect damage, but will affect line of sight. Without LOS (line of sight), you will not be able to fire back at enemy units with LOS on your units.

Way to completely miss the point of the question. I guess we'll have to play to learn whether or not there is a miss rate.

Banelings will not be able to explode on command.

Sad.

In the current build, Nydus Worms are able to be seen while traversing the terrain.

Balancing Nydus worms worried me, this reassures me that I will be able to scout and kill them ahead of time. :)

5)Is there some method in SC2, how Protoss can replenish their HP or shields or will they have to wait? Will Shield Battery replenish shields for buildings?
The Protoss will not be able to replenish their hit points unless they have allied Medivac Dropships healing them.

And shields? Did you miss the whole 2nd part of the question also? Fail.

6) Does the Drop-pod's falling hurt units/buildings in place of falling?
The Drop Pods ability has been removed from the Ghost in multiplayer.

Thats nice, we know that, could you now answer the question?

7) Are Reapers, while flying, considered ground or air unit?

/facepalm

Karune is turning into a whitehouse press secretary. Answers questions incorrectly or inadequately and picks out the shitty/easy/obvious ones to answer.

None.

Options
  Back to forum