Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: SCM Draft 2 gives string corruption error
SCM Draft 2 gives string corruption error
Sep 8 2007, 12:19 pm
By: Daedalus  

Sep 8 2007, 12:19 pm Daedalus Post #1

I am not entirely sure if this belongs here yet I couldn't find any other suitable forum.

Sometimes when I am using SCMDraft2 it gives a string corruption error which looks like this:

String Corruption detected in line 127, file .\windows\CMainGUI.cpp.
String ID: 30. String contents:

string text, string text, etc

REPORT THIS!

I've been trying to figure out why it gives this error but it makes no sense to me. Sometimes it gives just 1 error, but other times I get multiple errors. Sometimes from strings I worked on, sometimes strings I haven't touched (I think).
When I have received an error it will keep giving them every time it has to open the string database, so when I go to Location Editor, Trigger Editor, Map Properties, etc. The strange thing is however that when I close and re-open my map everything is fine...

Is this just an iritating yet harmless bug or do I really need to do something with this?

None.

Sep 8 2007, 2:15 pm Falkoner Post #2

Why were you messing with the strings from the string editor? That's like the worse thing you can do.. The reason why you receive that error when you go to all those places it because those are the areas that would be using a string that you possibly screwed up by messing with them.

My recommendation would be to try to open it up in OS Map2, yes, I know it sounds like I think OS Map is the fixer to everything, but it fixes most bugs on load. Just open it up in OS Map2, save it, but be sure to keep a backup. I can't post a link here because of the rules, just go to Maplantis, there's a topic there that has the latest version.

None.

Sep 8 2007, 3:06 pm AntiSleep Post #3

I have been getting that error a lot too, mostly when editing triggers. I am guessing it is some problem with string recycling, but AFAIK, it hasn't actually corrupted anything, it just says it has.

None.

Sep 8 2007, 3:29 pm Daedalus Post #4

Quote from Falkoner
Why were you messing with the strings from the string editor? That's like the worse thing you can do.. The reason why you receive that error when you go to all those places it because those are the areas that would be using a string that you possibly screwed up by messing with them.
I think you misunderstood me: I am just editing strings in the text trigger editor in SCMDraft2, not messing around with a string editor.
Like AntiSleep says, it hasn't actually corrupted anything at all as far as I can tell. I can still normally play and edit the map. And, like I said in the main post, whenever I save and re-open the map it doesn't give any errors at all anymore.

None.

Sep 8 2007, 11:21 pm Falkoner Post #5

Okay then, try opening it up in OS Map2 and see if that fixes it.

None.

Sep 9 2007, 7:08 pm Within Post #6

Delete the text in the string.
That causes the string to be deleted.

After the string has been deleted, then remake it using what ever you made it with, Triggers, Mission Breifings, etc.

If that doesnt work then look at the corrupted string, and remember the text 'Within' it.
Now go to the trigger, mission breifing, or what ever that text is in and delete it.

That should fix your problem.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Sep 9 2007, 10:07 pm by Within.

None.

Options
  Back to forum