Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Production > Topic: The Tenebrous
The Tenebrous
May 6 2008, 8:36 pm
By: Vrael
Pages: < 1 2 3 48 >

Jan 31 2009, 6:45 pm Craftstar2 Post #21

Also when you finish the quest where you free the prostitutes from the gang in the bar and the soldiers show up and you have to leave, when you go back to the bar there's still the dark templar next to the bartender.

You know it would be cool if you modify the HP of the items in your shuttle to be 1 if you don't have any of that item in your inventory, and make it full hp if you have that item. Just a though xD

None.

Jan 31 2009, 10:22 pm Vrael Post #22

Dude, that's an awsome idea!
Edit: ---> Now implemented in the map. Took me wayyyy too many triggers (160) but it works perfectly.

And yeah, I need to fix a little glitch or two in the bar scene. The problem with these cutscenes is it's hard to determine when everyone has exited the scene, since some people may not have even entered it yet. If you could do me a favor and post specifically the path you took, that would be helpful as well. Something like this:

Entered bar, went up to bartender
Accepted
Killed the 2 guys
Got reward,
accepted next quest
killed the pimpz
hassled for gold
died
re-entered bar and saw the units standing around still

If you could tell me something more specific like that, I would be greatful. The HP thing is a good idea though.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 1 2009, 3:09 pm by Vrael.

None.

Feb 6 2009, 2:30 am Craftstar2 Post #23

Also is the High Templar Boss supposed to just run around aimlessly not attacking you?

None.

Feb 6 2009, 11:39 pm Vrael Post #24

His AI isn't finished (or even started) yet. lol. It's on the list of things to do, but it's going to have to wait until I begin balancing the map.

None.

Mar 23 2009, 2:58 am Kaias Post #25

Those dang vultures...

None.

Mar 23 2009, 12:48 pm Pigy_G Post #26

There are also, scattered across the map
+50 Exp
+250 Exp
+50 Gold
+250 Gold

Death Knights III, Much?

None.

Mar 23 2009, 1:49 pm Vrael Post #27

Quote from Pigy_G
There are also, scattered across the map +50 Exp +250 Exp +50 Gold +250 Gold
Death Knights III, Much?
Read the topic much? Oh no wait, you clearly didn't.
Quote from Heegu
Also, this is very much like Deathknights 3, did you get your inspiration from it?
Quote from Vrael
@Heegu: Yes! While my systems are almost exactly the same, please don't label me as an idea theif, that wasn't the first map to use building-spawn spells or a different-location battle system, or findable mineral/exp bonuses. (Actually it may have been the first rpg, but the ideas themselves aren't unique). I loved that map, and as I'm sure you see the gameplay is very similar. However I hope to expand on it, allowing players to do things like kill each other, destroy buildings and whatnot if needed, as well as create a less linear story. I hope to have items that affect gameplay as well, where DK3 was a solid map, it was also basic in that it was essentially "Get EXP/Money." and "Kill Boss." Though, Alpha(MC) presented that basic concept in a very professional and unique characteristic. I think though, even if I hadn't played that map, my map would still be much unchanged.

None.

Mar 23 2009, 2:12 pm Pigy_G Post #28

Oh sorry I just assumed the map would have at least some unique charactiristics.

None.

Mar 23 2009, 2:55 pm MadZombie Post #29

So here i am, rubbing the fact that I'm not giving ferdar the scepter. So he attacks me right? right. After 3 seconds my DT dies and the marine that i guess is supposed to be my corpse marker? stays and doesn't go away. I also got some mysterious text saying " You are seen again" in black in the lower left corner.

I'm all like ''RAAAAAAAGE" when i decide to go train some more but the most curious thing happened. I activated God mode? every fight i had the 6 archers and the king himself fighting for me on my side. With this i went to the hill(y) area and decided to use the king to rape the hydras and vults. Went pretty good until i decided to help those cave people who asked for help. Naturally i decided to help these poor folk (Note: The king was around 300 hp after meat shielding him for a few battles). When the battle started my friendly archers and the tank were fighting without me, i was nowhere to be found, until a minute into the battle when THEN i spawned. (intentional?) Sadly i spawned in the middle of my allied rines and tank and being a DT i was pretty useless. Because of this i had wasted 3 pots trying to heal my ass since I couldn't hide (32 def). Two rines in front of me died and i was like "FUCK YEAR!" so i go out and try to kill the enemy when the worst thing possible happened... Fucking King was right their unallied to me and had been healed to 2.8k. I fucking raged some more and suicided (ran out of pots).

So i came back to life right? like you're supposed to when you die. I notice on my minimap I still have vision to the cave people and the the enemy. Their just chilling in the cave, I lol'd and kept training. I up my def to 42 so I'm like i can totally take on hydras and vults by myself. So i go and fight 3 hydra batches and I'm down to about 300 -ish HP and decide to run to the nearest inn. As im running for mah life I slam into a vult and another battle begins. I know I'm gonna die again but its cool. I have the damn scepter my cash is coming with me when i die. EZ TELEPORTZ LOL. So i die. Thats it. Nothing happens. I Don't revive or anything. Great game just too buggy.

tl;dr
King Ferdan (or w/e) glitches to hell. Actually i think any (one time only) failed quests glitch. When i died and didn't respawn i think it had something to do with the fact that the corpse marker was stuck after dying to the king and i had died twice in the 5 min. interval so the second time corpse marker glitched? so no re spawn? idfk.

Love the flow chart-ish storyline, i haven't played Death knights 3 so this is OC to me. GJ!?

None.

Mar 24 2009, 2:11 am Vrael Post #30

Quote from Pigy_G
Oh sorry I just assumed the map would have at least some unique charactiristics.
Don't worry, it will, you're just being nastily dickish.

Quote from MadZombie
I activated God mode?
Not intentionall, lol, but I think I understand why this happened.

Quote from MadZombie
When the battle started my friendly archers and the tank were fighting without me, i was nowhere to be found, until a minute into the battle when THEN i spawned.
No not intentional, but that cutscene isn't complete/tested yet.

Quote from MadZombie
Fucking King was right their unallied to me and had been healed to 2.8k. I fucking raged some more and suicided (ran out of pots).
I understand why he was healed, and the reason he was unallied to you, and I think the reason he was there is related to the "god-mode" stuff.

Quote from MadZombie
EZ TELEPORTZ LOL. So i die. Thats it. Nothing happens. I Don't revive or anything.
The scepter actually only works once every couple minutes, it has to recharge. I suppose I shoud add in a message to let the player know that, good point. However, you should have respawned in the barracks at the center town... GRRR! :D

Quote from MadZombie
Great game just too buggy.
Thanks! The reason it's buggy is because I have so many freaking triggers that I have a hard time finding the ones I need to edit, but when its finished I assure you there will be no bugs. Just recently I fixed the last bug in the basic battle system, which involved when you're fighting near the edge of a cliff or something and you get the WARNING UNIT UNPLACABLE error, then after you win the fight it wouldn't teleport you back. Fixed that, but I'll probably find some obscure other glitch eventually.

Also, could you tell me which player you were? P1 = red P2 = blue P3 = green P4 = white, it will help me to find the bugs you mentioned. And when fighting vultures, did you always get the reward? I have had odd reports of people not getting gold/exp from fighting the vultures, but I can't seem to replicate the situation myself. Also, when are you on battle.net and which gateway? I'd like to question you more specifically about the bugs if possible. I'm Vrael@USEast, and I'm on fairly frequently.

None.

Mar 24 2009, 5:09 am Positively Post #31

Uhh. After I tried this, in the bar's backroom, after I killed the archer, I couldn't fight the bandits, I just stood there and couldnt move :ermm:
Also, in the King's basement, I could not fight the golem after it said [...]. My guy just stood there.
That's all I found but it was a great map ^^

None.

Mar 24 2009, 6:02 am Vrael Post #32

Oh shoot! I'm sorry, the version I have uploaded right now is not really playable, I was working out a glitch with some people but I can't host so I hosted the map so (lethal) could download and host it on battle.net for me. I'll go put a fixed version up, albeit slightly older.

Thanks for this though!
"That's all I found but it was a great map"

None.

Mar 24 2009, 6:09 am UnholyUrine Post #33

I instantly fell in love with the overall gameplay..

Btw... what's wrong with two-worded spell names.. your spell names are almost the exact same as Norm's...

The Terrain is -=MAJESTIC=-.. every last detail was salvaged.

One problem that I forsee, however, is the way you used the text.. From the way you're doing it.. you'd be running out of strings in no time.. Conserve them more.. I made the same mistake, and was unable to finish a map...
I'm sure you can mix some dialogues together.. and not use those "Yes." or "No." replies.. or Use them multiple times...

The music is... a bit incoherent, but still really good.. what I mean is the battle music is .. fast.. while the armory music.. is gangsta... while the shop music.. is... weird.. lol .. meh~~ it still works so w/e......

Since I fell in love with the gameplay.. there's nothing else to say other than KEEP UP WITH IT.. it's excellent stuff.

None.

Mar 24 2009, 7:28 am Vrael Post #34

Thanks! -- Especially the comment about the terrain. "Majestik" is probably the highest compliment anyone could give me, just cause its such a bangin-awsome word. I intentionally misspell it with a k cause it's kooler.

As for the spell names, well, not too concered with the actual names to tell you the truth -- they're trivial. Besides, I don't really know Norm and I'm sure he's not the first person in history to think up "Magic bolt" or "thorns" lol. I'm more concerned with what they do.

I am reusing strings as much as I can, and hopefully I'll have enough... I actually ran into the string limit in the first map I ever made. Hopefully though, SI will revamp SCMDraft with an Uber Commenting system that doesn't use strings and I will get a couple thousand bytes of data back for string use.

I'm actually trying to find better battle music, but until I do, that's what I got. The shop/armory music, and the introduction theme are actually parts of a piece called "Hour of Darkness" which jives perfectly with my theme.
Did you run into any bugs? Also, if you liked my map, try DK3 if you haven't already, awsome rpg. And if you have any suggestions for how to make he music more "coherent" please let me know.

None.

Mar 24 2009, 11:14 am MadZombie Post #35

One more thing, side quests like the bar ones should be able to re ask to complete them. After i did the first bar mission i had 4 hp and no pots and i wasn't sure if the next mission was instant or not since i really needed a heal. I decline the quest thinking i could come back and accept it then after i got things ready. I was mistaken. That type of side quest is a side quest where u could re accept later imo, you know?

None.

Mar 24 2009, 5:01 pm UnholyUrine Post #36

Oh yes, I forgot to mention about the glitch that stopped me on my tracks...

I went to the part where this guy's name started with "V" kept his "Scepter" in the basement.. and then I walked towards the scepter, and my Hero (Hydra) stopped and started talking to a golem.. I wasn't able to see the golem due to the terrain height difference.... And after the talk.. i wasn't able to move.. I wasn't able to do anything :C... So I actually played fairly little.

Another thing is the battle arena... the enemies spawn far from you.. that's good, but you aren't able to see them until they come at you... I feel that could be different.. as in let us see what's about to attack us.. since we touched those units anyway..... we sorta know already...
But meh~.. small problem..

None.

Mar 24 2009, 10:36 pm Positively Post #37

Quote from Vrael
I'm actually trying to find better battle music, but until I do, that's what I got. The shop/armory music, and the introduction theme are actually parts of a piece called "Hour of Darkness" which jives perfectly with my theme.
Did you run into any bugs? Also, if you liked my map, try DK3 if you haven't already, awsome rpg. And if you have any suggestions for how to make he music more "coherent" please let me know.
Have you tried the awesome Faith And Destiny battle song? Or the Heartless Battle from Kingdom Hearts? Here they are if you want them :rolleyes:

None.

Mar 25 2009, 2:33 am Vrael Post #38

Quote from MadZombie
One more thing, side quests like the bar ones should be able to re ask to complete them. After i did the first bar mission i had 4 hp and no pots and i wasn't sure if the next mission was instant or not since i really needed a heal. I decline the quest thinking i could come back and accept it then after i got things ready. I was mistaken. That type of side quest is a side quest where u could re accept later imo, you know?
Unfortunately, that's not going to be how things roll. Sometimes opportunites in life pass you by, and since that's not usually a good thing, and my map is about bad things, that's going to be in there.

Quote from UnholyUrine
Oh yes, I forgot to mention about the glitch that stopped me on my tracks... I went to the part where this guy's name started with "V" kept his "Scepter" in the basement.. and then I walked towards the scepter, and my Hero (Hydra) stopped and started talking to a golem.. I wasn't able to see the golem due to the terrain height difference.... And after the talk.. i wasn't able to move.. I wasn't able to do anything :C... So I actually played fairly little.
Sorry, that's my fault for forgetting to post a playable version. I was testing some stuff with lethal and the triggers weren't playable at the moment but I can't host on b.net so I hosted it through my map topic link and forgot to switch it back to the "good" version.

Quote from UnholyUrine
Another thing is the battle arena... the enemies spawn far from you.. that's good, but you aren't able to see them until they come at you... I feel that could be different.. as in let us see what's about to attack us.. since we touched those units anyway..... we sorta know already... But meh~.. small problem..
That's a good idea actually. May be the one situation where a map revealer would be useful too, since it isn't a detector.

Quote from Pigy_G
Don't worry, it will, you're just being nastily dickish.
I hope so, because if not you're even more a tard then I thought, http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tard
Stop posting please.

Quote from Positively
Have you tried the awesome Faith And Destiny battle song? Or the Heartless Battle from Kingdom Hearts? Here they are if you want them
Thanks, but not quite what I'm looking for.

None.

Mar 25 2009, 2:43 am Positively Post #39

[/quote]
Quote from Positively
Have you tried the awesome Faith And Destiny battle song? Or the Heartless Battle from Kingdom Hearts? Here they are if you want them
[/quote]Thanks, but not quite what I'm looking for.[/quote]
Alrighty :]

None.

Mar 30 2009, 11:21 pm lil-Inferno Post #40

Just here for the pie

I REALLY, REALLY like the idea of the player deciding their own fate. I always loved having two decisions. It reminds me of GTA IV when you have the decision at the end to (Spoiler) kill Dimitri Rascalov or make a deal with him which ends with different main characters dying.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 31 2009, 6:59 pm by lil-Inferno.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 48 >
  Back to forum