Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Theory and Ideas > Topic: Bring/Command Updating Discussion
Bring/Command Updating Discussion
Apr 30 2008, 11:45 pm
By: Falkoner  

May 2 2008, 10:20 am Fyrinite Post #21

Valid locations means any number between 1 and 255. Valid in terms of data going into the function, not valid as in the location exists in the map.

The command condition will cause a lot less lag than bring, because it doesn't have to narrow it down by location when it checks the condition.

None.

May 2 2008, 10:27 am Wormer Post #22

Quote from name:DiscipleOfAdun
Valid locations means any number between 1 and 255. Valid in terms of data going into the function, not valid as in the location exists in the map.
Is there a way to give the function an invalid location?

Some.

May 2 2008, 10:31 am Fyrinite Post #23

I actually don't know. I don't make maps hardly ever. :P

The only thought I have is that none of the map editors currently would allow invalid locations, except perhaps starforge. i think the rest double check input first.

None.

May 2 2008, 10:35 am Wormer Post #24

Quote from name:DiscipleOfAdun
I actually don't know. I don't make maps hardly ever. :P

The only thought I have is that none of the map editors currently would allow invalid locations, except perhaps starforge. i think the rest double check input first.
I see :) Okay... Just to clearfy, give units is not invalidating the cache, isn't it? Fine.

Ah those lazy blizzard programmers. :bleh: Mabe they've just forgotten to invalidate when creating and giving units... Ah those programmers! :D

Some.

May 2 2008, 2:50 pm The Starport Post #25

I bet at this stage we could code a better Starcraft engine from scratch ourselves. :P

None.

May 4 2008, 3:54 am Demented Shaman Post #26

Well it's not like the blizzard programmers coded SC with the intention of allowing complex and accurate map editing :><:
This shouldn't be a surprise at all, just look at the editor that comes with Starcraft. Clearly UMS wasn't one of their top priorities.

I'm sure it's just a result of what a programmer has to do to balance between time deadlines, efficiency, cost, and maintenance. They don't have the luxury of being able to create the most robust engine or most powerful map editor. Some may call it lazy, but from a different perspective it's just getting the job done.

None.

May 4 2008, 7:46 am Wormer Post #27

You're taking it too serious: :|
:) Such an editor was an advanced tool for the game of that time... Thanks blizzard, they've always supplied their games with advanced editing tools.

Some.

Feb 16 2018, 8:23 pm Lanthanide Post #28

Not entirely sure why this thread is Stickied, since there's a lot of crap in it unrelated to the thread title and while it may once have been a pressing concern for the community, it isn't any longer.

Anyway, there's a post from Heinermann that goes into more detail about how the 'bring' condition works and what is required to reset it (there are basically 3 groups of trigger conditions/actions that will reset the bring block if you intermingle them). Post is there: http://www.staredit.net/307127/

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 16 2018, 8:47 pm by Lanthanide.

None.

Options
  Back to forum