Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: PC vs Mac vs Linux
PC vs Mac vs Linux
Apr 29 2008, 8:37 pm
By: Intranetusa
Pages: < 1 2 3 48 >

Apr 30 2008, 2:47 am Centreri Post #21

Relatively ancient and inactive

Heh, if you want to be even more technical about it, the OS is usually called GNU/Linux, with GNU being an OS using the Linux kernel.

As far as BSD (Berkeley Software Distribution), it isn't just OpenBSD - there are 3 main derivatives of BSD and OpenBSD is just one of them. Those are FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD; then there are various distributions and derivatives based on those 3. BSD is another Unix-based OS that is older than the Linux kernel and even older than GNU (BSD was started in 1977). It was originally a fork of Unix itself. One reason for part of its popularity is the fact that because of the license, it is possible to have a proprietary OS based on BSD or one of its derivatives, either in part or in whole. Some examples: Mac OS X is partly based on FreeBSD and Windows also uses some BSD code. Linux also uses some BSD code, since the license of the current BSD derivatives is compatible with being sub-licensed under the GNU GPL.
I'm not nearly computery enough to understand all of that.

None.

Apr 30 2008, 2:51 am Syphon Post #22

Quote from Centreri
I haven't seen any real advantage that Mac has over Linux or Windows, so.. yeah. Not convinced.

Mac OS X has the advantage of being able to use Final Cut Pro, basically. That's it. Really.

Quote from omginbd
What are the benefits of a Linux anyways? From what I can tell they are just the same as Windows but the GUI is much more flexible.

You can do anything you want with Linux, legally, and secure in knowing someone will be there to hold your hand.

None.

Apr 30 2008, 3:05 am Atlos Post #23

I use Windows Vista Home Premium. I actually really like it so far. It has a nice, clean look to it and is very user friendly. Feels like XP with a few touchups and more integrated online help.

And personally, I hate Macs. I tried the ones at my school (running the latest OS) and they weren't very good. It might of been me though. Things didn't seem very organized and digging through files and finding apps seemed sluggish. I just didn't like the interface at all...

None.

Apr 30 2008, 5:15 pm Praetor Post #24

layin' in the cut

I'm not going to get too deep in to this, cause we all know where that goes. Basically, macs are great, windows is pretty good, and linux is cool they are all pretty sweet.

Most of the people on this site/ the entire intarwebz are people who have barely/never used macs and they go ZOMG MACZORXZ IZ TEH SUXCKZ0RZS ZOMGSOMG OMG !!111!1!!1!! and this is just not true. Macs have many benefits other than final cut pro, just like linux and windows have their advantages. It is common knowledge that macs are ridiculously overpriced (see psystar, better hardware for less price), but they also have alot of advantages such as built in camera/mic, etc.

I can't wait til Google tries making an OS ;) that would be sweet.

this too shall pass

Apr 30 2008, 6:42 pm mikelat Post #25

Quote from Praetor
I'm not going to get too deep in to this, cause we all know where that goes. Basically, macs are great, windows is pretty good, and linux is cool they are all pretty sweet.

Most of the people on this site/ the entire intarwebz are people who have barely/never used macs and they go ZOMG MACZORXZ IZ TEH SUXCKZ0RZS ZOMGSOMG OMG !!111!1!!1!! and this is just not true. Macs have many benefits other than final cut pro, just like linux and windows have their advantages. It is common knowledge that macs are ridiculously overpriced (see psystar, better hardware for less price), but they also have alot of advantages such as built in camera/mic, etc.
I've used a mac, wasn't impressed. Many laptops these days have a built in mic/camera, its nothing special. You should look up the EEEPC 900 series, that is one amazing machine.

The overpriced part is what gets me. They charge you an arm and a leg for a mac which does not justify the price over something else you can get of less value.

Besides, things suck right now with software being controlled by one company, im not about to give up hardware control as well.

None.

Apr 30 2008, 8:50 pm ~:Deathawk:~ Post #26

Honestly, I think the people should look again as to how the Macs compare to other PCs in terms of pricing. I think you would be suprised to find that they're actually very similar or within reason. Remember, to some people, having your computer look attractive, or having a smaller form factor IS a good reason to spend a bit of extra money. And to some people, so is Mac OS X. Even then, they are pretty competitve in pricing to a lot of desktops.

None.

Apr 30 2008, 9:49 pm Centreri Post #27

Relatively ancient and inactive

For me, that simply doesn't make up for the bad things and I wouldn't consider getting a Mac. I always pitied those Mac users who can't use ScmDraft - I like being able to use just about every program there is, thanks. There are plenty modifications you can legally make to Windows to make it moar Macish, and if that's not enough, there's Linux, which can also run most programs. It's also free. Most of it.

None.

Apr 30 2008, 10:36 pm Syphon Post #28

Quote from ~:Deathawk:~
Honestly, I think the people should look again as to how the Macs compare to other PCs in terms of pricing. I think you would be suprised to find that they're actually very similar or within reason. Remember, to some people, having your computer look attractive, or having a smaller form factor IS a good reason to spend a bit of extra money. And to some people, so is Mac OS X. Even then, they are pretty competitve in pricing to a lot of desktops.

They are not even close.

None.

Apr 30 2008, 11:12 pm WoAHorde Post #29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4iyksLeo7w

None.

May 1 2008, 12:23 am Vi3t-X Post #30

My cousin keeps ranting to me that "Macs are for Pros" or software editors or some crap like that.

Me Uses: 5 Computers, 5 Windows.
5 PCs + 2 Tablet ^^ I has techy house.

None.

May 1 2008, 1:33 am Laser Dude Post #31

Apple computers are way overpriced. Apple's entry level computer is 1200$. With a few hours of research, one can get a computer with similar specs for about 200$ from Dell. Of course, the Apple computer comes with a 20-inch flatscreen monitor, but it barely counts, since you can't even pick your own parts for what you're doing.

First off, what someone else said is right. A PC is by definition anything that computes and belongs to an individual. That includes apple computers, cell phones, MP3 Players, and the classic idea of a computer in a box. Apple just uses it to mean "Windows Computer" because they've probably got a deal going with Microsoft to not spill the idea that there's more than two sides at play.

Second off, operating systems. Linux isn't an OS, it's a kernel. When people refer to Linux, they often mean Linux/GNU. GNU refers to the set of tools (usually free), which make up the OS, like Bash, X, Gnome, KDE, Xfce, Compiz, etc. Windows is an OS/kernel/Program set, because Microsoft has no clue how to properly layer systems (IE is as much a part of the kernel as the API is). Mac OS X is the only true operating system in this list, as it uses a kernel called Darwin BSD (A variant of BSD). The kernel is even open-source, and you can find it on their website, somewhere.

Although, despite your errors, I know what you mean. I currently run Ubuntu. I would have some experimenting partitions, but the Windows Vista drive I keep around for rare occasions totally refuses to budge, because Microsoft can't even make a partitioner that works for their own system.

None.

May 1 2008, 1:42 am ~:Deathawk:~ Post #32

Quote from Syphon

They are not even close.

shows how much you know :\

AND BUDDY. Apple's entry level PC is the Mac Mini, which definitely doesn't go for $1200. With educational discounts, it's a bit cheaper too.

Seriously, go find me another retail computer that is form factored as an ALL IN ONE like the iMac, and I guarantee you will be eating your words. AND EVEN THEN, the quality on the competing all in one desktops is so sub par compared to Apple's iMac.

BUT YEAH APPLE SUX, RITE? Stop being fanboys. JESUS.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 1 2008, 1:49 am by ~:Deathawk:~.

None.

May 1 2008, 2:35 am FatalException Post #33

What exactly does being an "all-in-one" computer imply?

None.

May 1 2008, 2:44 am ~:Deathawk:~ Post #34

http://www.gateway.com/programs/one/index.php is all-in-one

http://www.gateway.com/systems/series/529598003.php is not.

None.

May 1 2008, 4:11 am mikelat Post #35

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm45/hotcarltogo/fanboy.jpg

lol

Quote from Vi3t-X
My cousin keeps ranting to me that "Macs are for Pros" or software editors or some crap like that.

Me Uses: 5 Computers, 5 Windows.
5 PCs + 2 Tablet ^^ I has techy house.
Your cousin isn't a pro or a software editor. I'm doing programming and trust me, there are no macs.

shows how much you know :\

AND BUDDY. Apple's entry level PC is the Mac Mini, which definitely doesn't go for $1200. With educational discounts, it's a bit cheaper too.

Seriously, go find me another retail computer that is form factored as an ALL IN ONE like the iMac, and I guarantee you will be eating your words. AND EVEN THEN, the quality on the competing all in one desktops is so sub par compared to Apple's iMac.

What the hell is all in one anyway? I can build a decent PC for like under 300 bucks if im just using it for productivity, and you can easily make a mid range gaming pc for about 600 bucks.

Educational discounts? The great thing about linux is you can't discount whats already free :D

And I don't know why you just called us fanboys, because we're the ones saying apple isn't that great, we're not vigorously defending it.

None.

May 1 2008, 5:22 am MasterJohnny Post #36

another example of all in one
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsdt_one?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs is all in one
http://www.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/xpsdt_gaming?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs is not all in one
All in one offers a space saving desktop but the downside is they are highly not upgradeable
I rather get a laptop then an all in one

I am a Mathematician

May 1 2008, 5:54 am Laser Dude Post #37

First off, that's not what Apple's site says. Second off, I was comparing computers with similar specs, so I would need to find a cheaper computer from Dell, and again, there are educational discounts for Dell, too. When I compare stuff, I compare the same stuff. It just wouldn't be fair to compare the prices of an entry level Mac to a high-end Dell, or vice versa.

ALL IN ONE
In other words, entirely inflexible. Perfect, it lets Apple use lock in even more. Although I can certainly see that 1000$ is probably not worth 1 hour of time in this fast-paced world.

the quality on the competing all in one desktops is so sub par compared to Apple's iMac.
This is an opinion, and does not belong in an objective comparison of prices and statistics. I entirely disagree with you. OK, I'll admit, Apple does make the best Apple computers. Alternately, I think Linux is the best open-source kernel founded by Linus Torvalds. However, if you meant to say "the quality on the competing desktops is so sub par compared to Apple's iMac", then I would definately disagree. With a common PC, it follows ISO parts standards, so I can use and reuse parts such as monitors from other computers, rather than paying extreme sums of money for a new monitor every time. And, alternately, if I'm not rich when I buy the computer, I can get it cheap, and upgrade it later. Not only that, but I can pick and choose my parts from different companies in a competetive market, wheras everything on a Mac must be purchased from Apple or it will not work.

Apple has an advantage on Windows, it's immune to most of the billions of problems Windows has.

However, as compared to Linux, Apple doesn't stand a chance. Linux machines can do tasks far more complicated than Macs far faster. Linux machines look better, and are easier to use. I remember seeing an ad for Mac's Leopard operating system: "Over 300 features!". Heck, my wristwatch has more than 300 features.

Fanboys? A fanboy is someone who baselessly defends something. We're attacking Apple computers, but we actually have reasons for why not to use them. I'm not disputing whether you should use a Mac, that's up to you. I'm disputing the quality of Macs, as compared to their cost, and they don't seem to measure up. I would be perfectly fine with you saying negative things about GNU/Linux, or disputing what I say about Macs, just please have a base to your arguments, rather than arguing for the sake of arguing.

On another note, it appears Dell is shipping computers with Ubuntu Linux preinstalled, and it looks like they're making it look stupid. >< http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn
EDIT: lol, they're selling support for it, jeeze, I wonder who falls into that trap... :P

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on May 1 2008, 6:07 am by Laser Dude.

None.

May 1 2008, 6:13 am Corbo Post #38

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Call me an ignorant or whatever you wish but linux is definately where I would never go to.
The fact they it is divided or whatever it is in soooooooo many kernels just doesn't make me feel like it's a real piece of anything, more like it shows me that it is probably missing something thus, creating the need of having many and multiple kernels or whatever they are.
The fact that I took a test to see which version I would fit into made me laugh. You would randomly get options, from over a ton of distributions found in here just doesn't inspire me safetyness.
I just wouldn't choose something that seems to be splitted up and incomplete. Then again I don't know anything about Linux.
Sure it's awesomely cool for being open source unlike the all other companies that try to manipulate you but I just wouldn't go with all the trouble that getting linux require.

fuck you all

May 1 2008, 6:27 am MasterJohnny Post #39

Quote from Laser Dude
ALL IN ONE
In other words, entirely inflexible. Perfect, it lets Apple use lock in even more. Although I can certainly see that 1000$ is probably not worth 1 hour of time in this fast-paced world.

Uhh i have no idea what you are saying....so how do I upgrade to a geforce 9800 in the future? (why do i have to buy the 24" to reach nvidia graphics?)
http://support.apple.com/specs/imac/iMac_Mid_2008.html
Your imac starts at insane 1gb of ram...and the upgrade of ram to 4gb costs $300 (which doesnt even display the ram timing specs because they should because I cant upgrade?)

I am a Mathematician

May 1 2008, 7:18 am mikelat Post #40

Quote from Corbo
Call me an ignorant or whatever you wish but linux is definately where I would never go to.
The fact they it is divided or whatever it is in soooooooo many kernels just doesn't make me feel like it's a real piece of anything, more like it shows me that it is probably missing something thus, creating the need of having many and multiple kernels or whatever they are.
The fact that I took a test to see which version I would fit into made me laugh. You would randomly get options, from over a ton of distributions found in here just doesn't inspire me safetyness.
I just wouldn't choose something that seems to be splitted up and incomplete. Then again I don't know anything about Linux.
Sure it's awesomely cool for being open source unlike the all other companies that try to manipulate you but I just wouldn't go with all the trouble that getting linux require.
Thats like saying you'd never play starcraft because all the maps that other people make for it are so divided. The kernel itself can be modified for whatever your use may be (its probably on your cellphone, alarm system, etc). As for desktop use, the kernel does not go through much if any modification as far as I know.

I think what you mean is that there are too many distributions available. Which is true, but the distributions themselves are just really different combination's of software installed. One version can be specifically loaded with office applications, while another one can be loaded with just internet apps. It's not "incomplete", its just that no computer is the same, everybody prefers their own software setup.

The popular distribution right now that a lot of people are using is Ubuntu. It has the best hardware detection and best user friendliness of any distribution.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 48 >
  Back to forum