Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Projects > Topic: Armageddon Onslaught Release Thread Second Edition
Armageddon Onslaught Release Thread Second Edition
Mar 24 2008, 10:26 pm
By: IskatuMesk  

Mar 24 2008, 10:26 pm IskatuMesk Post #1

Lord of the Locker Room

The drums have deepened into a droning thunder, their cries echoing through the mountains. Ten thousand years of decay showers off the walls and ceiling, dulling your vision and filling your lungs with ash. In the moment you try to shield your eyes from the dust, a light emanates from the beyond. It surges forward, splintering into a thousand screaming figures. It is then you know what you have awoken. It is then, in your final moments, you feel regret.

The gates of hell have been opened.

Armageddon Onslaught - Public Alpha 0.1 version AAsub5.

Requires Brood War 1.10

In this AI modification, you play as either the Protoss or the Terrans and represent the forces of light as you fight a single Zerg computer opponent 7v1; against the Forces of Armageddon. The coming battle will be so bloody, so horrible, that only the mightiest of champions may survive.

You will face 6 tiers of the most wicked, diabolical, and cunning demons ever created.

* This is an ALPHA. This is about 60% complete. I am well aware of missing sounds, unfinished attacks, some buggy animations, ect. ect. Don't bother posting about bugs or incomplete stuff because I already know about it.
* Many of the AO units WILL crash or function oddly for a player. Do not use mind control or play any UMS maps of any kind that involve preplaced units or putting special units under the player's control. Won't stop Shadowflare though :(
* Certain melee maps which contain neutral structures have a high probability of crashing the game. This includes maps like paranoid android and other odd korean tournament maps (which are suicide to play on anyway).
* There is a probability the mod will not work for you even though you are on the correct version of 1.10. Both DoA and myself have NO IDEA why this happens. We have investigated this matter and cannot solve it. I cannot release a non-expander version of the mod because it is at a point where it cannot function without it.
* There is a good probability certain units like the Lord of Terror and Madness Titan will bring down framerates on lower-end machines. I am running on an X2 6000 and the drop is virtually unnoticeable but old pentium 2's may bite the dust.
* This AI is not balanced correctly yet. The Protoss and Terran AI's are also unfinished but work adequetly.
* This mod has a custom soundtrack! Turn on music!
* Do not select Zerg as your race if you wish to be able to do anything!
* Play on very big maps with large chokes instead of ramps. I'll provide my test map in its 10% complete stages, Big Game Rofflecakes, for ease of use. Many of AO's larger units cannot fit down a ramp. (Incidentally it may just drop them on you).
* This AI should function correctly in an island map.
* Concerns about unit balancing? Let me know. Keep in mind the units are intentionally very powerful as they need to contend with 7 players who can play at semi-professional quality. I will not be surprised if no one here can pull off a victory without exploiting something.
* Got unit suggestions? Feel free to post them. My final unit list is not actually final.
* The difficulty this current build is registered at is "Normal". In the final build, there will be a grade lower and a grade higher. The grades will only effect the speed in which the AI attacks and techs at during the first 20-30 minutes.
* Armageddon units are color-coded to determine their tiers.

Consider this a demonstration. I am only releasing it because I do not foresee finishing it in the near future.

No content in this mod may be used without express permission of their authors. For the record, no one has permission to use any of the diablo graphics by Nottingham Systems (they gave me specific permission a while back (This includes all graphics except the larger variant of the snake demon and the Infoceptor Stormrider)) and only poiuy_qwert and Baja have permission to use the infinity engine graphics. Several graphics were obtained from the Maplantis download database and are property of their respective owners. Other graphics I modified myself.

By downloading this file you accept that it may in fact be a device intended to destroy your computer, your house, your dog, and your soul, and that I am not responsible for mass loss of virginity, lives, or lawn insurance rates.

This file may not be redistributed or altered in any form without my permission. You are encouraged, however, to study the files, especially the iscript, to help improve your own understanding of the game. If you have any questions or comments, leave them here.

On the horizon -

* Tier 7
* Difficulty settings
* Around 8-10 new units
* Effects, such as dust clouds for siege tanks, missile trails for default units, debris, rubble, distortion...
* Bigger soundtrack
* Vocal taunts on Armageddon units
* Pie

And now... at long last...

www.staff.samods.org/iskatumesk/AOPA01_AAsub5.rar <-- 53 megs

And Rofflecakes...

www.staff.samods.org/iskatumesk/(8)BigGameRofflecakes.scm

Do you need to downgrade?

Use Baja's downgrading kit, here - http://www.broodwarai.com/forums/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=276

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Mar 24 2008, 10:29 pm Symmetry Post #2

Dungeon Master

Quote from IskatuMesk
On the horizon -
* Pie

<3

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Mar 29 2008, 10:25 am Fisty Post #3

Erm...Maybe you didn't see this yet, but the Pit Lord has trouble attacking near the top edges of the map. (sprites being made in limbo)

On the other hand, this is a great mod. It pwned my defenses when I had: operation cwal AND show me the money on.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 29 2008, 10:31 am by Deathman101.

None.

Mar 29 2008, 10:29 am IskatuMesk Post #4

Lord of the Locker Room

Eh. Nothing I can do about that, I don't think.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Mar 29 2008, 10:40 am Fisty Post #5

Quote from IskatuMesk
Eh. Nothing I can do about that, I don't think.
I know, 'twas just an FYI. I only found that glitch when I played around with the Pit Lord on a custom map, don't expect it so be seen much.

None.

Mar 30 2008, 7:36 am IskatuMesk Post #6

Lord of the Locker Room

There's a few glitches present in the mod atm, especially with the aiscript itself that I overlooked. Sometime in the future I'll release a small update to correct some of these. Others, like the pit lord, I can't really fix. I'm not sure if I can fix Syrius' teleport-lock bug since the game seems to ignore the sigorder commands. I think there might be another way I can structure how it works, though. But that would be when I get up off my ass to finish the other units.

Mar 31 2008, 3:12 am Pandut Post #7

I'm just a fish

Iskatu, we can always count on you to make an awesome mod :}

Now i want mah pie ^^

None.

Apr 5 2008, 2:19 pm IskatuMesk Post #8

Lord of the Locker Room

hey guys for those of you who couldn't run AO, I want you to try something real quick. Run this .exe file, and tell me if it still gives you the version error.

Now, I won't be surprised if it still doesn't work, but if it does work, I will implode.

Yes, this will also require 1.10.

No, this isn't actually AO. It's an extremely old AI build. The mod itself is unimportant. What's important is if it works.

Go, now!

www.staff.samods.org/iskatumesk/RequiemCtest.exe

also I jacked some effects from lineage 1 so AO 4.2 may be slightly more flashy whenever I get around to doing it

edit - Is no one interested in helping see if the issue preventing half the people on this site from playing the mod is fixed?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 8 2008, 12:07 am by IskatuMesk.

Apr 10 2008, 6:01 pm Fisty Post #9

Quote from IskatuMesk
edit - Is no one interested in helping see if the issue preventing half the people on this site from playing the mod is fixed?
The mod forum doesn't get much publicity. With the death of Maplantis modding was scattered and the fanbase was destroyed.

None.

Apr 10 2008, 6:57 pm Owrtho Post #10

Quote from IskatuMesk

I would be, but the mod worked for me.

Owrtho

None.

Apr 10 2008, 11:48 pm IskatuMesk Post #11

Lord of the Locker Room

Quote from name:Deathman101
Quote from IskatuMesk
The mod forum doesn't get much publicity. With the death of Maplantis modding was scattered and the fanbase was destroyed.

Okay. I guess simply clicking a link bringing the user to SEN from maplantis is too hard. Shame.

Apr 15 2008, 6:23 am ShadowFlare Post #12

Quote from IskatuMesk
I'd say the issue is most likely a corrupted 1.10 install (like using some files from the wrong SC version).

None.

Apr 15 2008, 7:22 am bajadulce Post #13

I have 2 computers both running windows XP professional. Both computers have fresh starcraft installs + patched to v1.10 w/out the use of any no-cd cracks etc. The mod works on the one computer but not the other. The answer to this problem lies in the difference between the 2 computers.

I'm sorry I don't recognize the difference just offhand. If I get the mod to work on the other computer, I will note what was updated/changed w/ computer.

None.

Apr 15 2008, 8:03 am ShadowFlare Post #14

Hmm, how about the Starcraft path? In my case, it is simply E:\Starcraft

Maybe spaces in the path cause problems with one of the plugins? I think I'll test this out right now.

-EDIT-

Nope that wasn't it.

None.

Apr 20 2008, 1:24 pm Vi3t-X Post #15

Did you remember to bring the CD WITH YOU?
lol, mean, but it could be the problem.

None.

May 25 2008, 8:28 pm HailFire Post #16

Best mod evar.

Seriously, Mesk, you need to finish this.

If Madness Titans, Lords of Terror, etc are this fucking awesome, then Tiers 6 and 7 are going to be the sex. :inlove:

And if you ever decide to make AO for StarCraft II, you will be a god among men. :thumbup:

None.

May 25 2008, 8:41 pm IskatuMesk Post #17

Lord of the Locker Room

I'll finish this if I get a plugin/compiler for 1.10 that allow the iscript.bin to go beyond 65kb. Otherwise, there is nothing I can do.

The chances of doing this in sc2 are beyond minimal due to such requiring mastery of 3ds max.

Additionally I had planned an additional 4 tiers up to a maximum of 10.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 25 2008, 8:50 pm by IskatuMesk.

May 25 2008, 8:53 pm HailFire Post #18

Quote from IskatuMesk
I'll finish this if I get a plugin/compiler for 1.10 that allow the iscript.bin to go beyond 65kb. Otherwise, there is nothing I can do.

The chances of doing this in sc2 are beyond minimal due to such requiring mastery of 3ds max.

Additionally I had planned an additional 4 tiers up to a maximum of 10.

Doesn't Rhino (the editor you used to make the epic ship models in ITAS) fit the bill for something like that? :ermm:

On a related note, did you ever finish ITAS/where can I download it?

None.

May 25 2008, 8:57 pm IskatuMesk Post #19

Lord of the Locker Room

Rhino is nurbs. On top of that there's no way in hell I can model any kind of character let alone skin and animate them.

I never finished ITAS but the limit expander version is here - http://www.campaigncreations.org/forum/index.php?topic=517.0

May 29 2008, 8:01 am IskatuMesk Post #20

Lord of the Locker Room

With this project now dead (permanently) from the iscript.bin limitation, and there being newfound hope of sc2 having more functionality for unit and unit-based attributes than wc3, I've begun making a mock-up game document for the sequel to this project: Armageddon Onslaught 2: The Great Destroyer.

You can see the data I have up here, http://www.campaigncreations.org/forum/index.php?topic=836.msg11296#new

Now the reason I'm posting this here is not just because I want you to read it. I want you to comment on it. Give me suggestions. Give me ability ideas. Give me unit ideas. That list isn't anywhere near complete. I have no problem planning a hundred units or expanding the tiers to 15. Give me something to work with. Give me ideas how to make it more terrifying.

Got a graphic from WoW/Wc3 you think would work for something? That's great. Porting those graphics will be easy.

Options
  Back to forum