Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Discussion > Topic: Metroid Prime Mod
Metroid Prime Mod
Mar 22 2008, 3:07 pm
By: FooFighters  

Mar 22 2008, 3:07 pm FooFighters Post #1

I've been thinking about me making a mod, or someone else, based on Metroid Prime.
I've figured out that you could use Sarah Kerrigan for samus without her suit, or if you want, design your own samus suit.
Then you get the special beams by researching them, like the Plasma, Ice, Power, and Wave, and also the one of a kind Phazon beam.
I wouldn't know how to make this mod, so i was wandering if i could get some good help designing this thing, some GRP's probably, or the modding sequence.

So what do ya think?

None.

Apr 8 2008, 12:34 am Hercanic Post #2

STF mod creator, Modcrafters.com admin, CampaignCreations.org staff

Dear FooFighters:
Well, you could use the Siege Tank for her ball morph. The different beams could simply be different spells. You will need to edit units.dat, weapons.dat, tech.dat, possibly flingy.dat depending how you want her ball form to move, which you can use DatEdit for all of them; iscript.bin for animation editing, which you'll need IceCC; *.tbl to edit text strings, you'll need something like TBL Edit; you'll need FireGraft to edit buttons and requirements; and finally you'll need to pack it all into an MPQ using something like WinMPQ.

Apr 8 2008, 11:15 am FooFighters Post #3

Thanx for your help Hercanic, i didn't know it would take all that work, but i can put aside SC for awhile to work on the mod, when the mod goes a bit too hard for me, i will be in the modding assisstance part of SEN, :)

None.

Apr 9 2008, 12:12 am Hercanic Post #4

Dear FooFighters:
When I first set out to mod, I had a grand mod idea. However, I had an inkling it wouldn't be easy to do, so I simply began a test mod to play around with and see what I could do, in order to familiarize myself with the various tools required for my real mod. Lacking a direction with my tests, I decided to try mimicing the units of Team Fortress in Starcraft. No pressure, just one unit at a time. As I modded, I thought of new ideas, experimented with new techniques, and even conceived of unique gameplay mechanics. Before I knew it, I had transformed my mere test mod into a full-fledged TC. It became known as Starcraft Team Fortress. That was about eight years ago. I never made my original idea, but feel I chose the right path.

The moral is just take small steps. Don't concern yourself with making a huge mod. Just try editing a unit's health or weapon damage first. Then try editing a unit's attack animation in Iscript. Then try editing a few names or buttons. Baby steps. You'll find yourself feeling more confident, and trying more and more difficult things. By only focusing on smaller, obtainable goals, you prevent yourself from feeling overwhelmed and never starting at all.

Not to mention, by only making tiny changes and testing them immediately, you can identify the cause of a crash or bug a lot faster and easier, and thus you can solve many beginner's blunders on your own. Or, at the very least, it'll be easier for people here to figure out where you went wrong. Example: "I gave the Zergling an air weapon, but it crashes when he uses it." Answer: "That's because the Zergling lacks an air attack animation in Iscript. You need to give him one before it'll work. You can copy and paste the code from his ground attack to make creating an air attack animation simpler."

Apr 9 2008, 12:13 am Hercanic Post #5

Hit quote instead of edit...

Apr 10 2008, 8:26 pm FooFighters Post #6

O ya, i was just wandering, can someone submit a Samus grp, or any grps for Metroid Prime games, plz, it would be a big help, i havent started yet, but i will soon

None.

Apr 15 2008, 2:54 am Hercanic Post #7

Dear FooFighters:
If they aren't uploaded to the SEN database, Infoceptor's old SC graphic section (which SEN has most all of it now), or CampaignCreations' freebie section, chances are no one has attempted this. You're on your own with that.

Apr 15 2008, 11:19 am FooFighters Post #8

Fine, i am not good with making grps, so i'll just use Sarah Kerrigan for Samus without suit.

None.

Apr 15 2008, 6:50 pm Fisty Post #9

Quote from Hercanic
Dear FooFighters:
When I first set out to mod, I had a grand mod idea. However, I had an inkling it wouldn't be easy to do, so I simply began a test mod to play around with and see what I could do, in order to familiarize myself with the various tools required for my real mod. Lacking a direction with my tests, I decided to try mimicing the units of Team Fortress in Starcraft. No pressure, just one unit at a time. As I modded, I thought of new ideas, experimented with new techniques, and even conceived of unique gameplay mechanics. Before I knew it, I had transformed my mere test mod into a full-fledged TC. It became known as Starcraft Team Fortress. That was about eight years ago. I never made my original idea, but feel I chose the right path.

The moral is just take small steps. Don't concern yourself with making a huge mod. Just try editing a unit's health or weapon damage first. Then try editing a unit's attack animation in Iscript. Then try editing a few names or buttons. Baby steps. You'll find yourself feeling more confident, and trying more and more difficult things. By only focusing on smaller, obtainable goals, you prevent yourself from feeling overwhelmed and never starting at all.

Not to mention, by only making tiny changes and testing them immediately, you can identify the cause of a crash or bug a lot faster and easier, and thus you can solve many beginner's blunders on your own. Or, at the very least, it'll be easier for people here to figure out where you went wrong. Example: "I gave the Zergling an air weapon, but it crashes when he uses it." Answer: "That's because the Zergling lacks an air attack animation in Iscript. You need to give him one before it'll work. You can copy and paste the code from his ground attack to make creating an air attack animation simpler."

xD I never knew you made SCTF

and Foo, perhaps you could use the recolored Kerrigan instead of the normal one (available at ML)? Ball Form could be a miniature protoss "warp rift". I know very little about Metroid, so my advice may suck

None.

Apr 17 2008, 5:03 am Hercanic Post #10

Dear Deathman:
Had you read the ReadMe included with STF, you'd know! =oP

Apr 17 2008, 11:15 am FooFighters Post #11

i'll take some of the advice you gave me deathman, the different colored Kerri, if i can't find it o well, and i can easily make a morph ball grp, that is probably an easy one for a noob grp maker.

None.

Apr 18 2008, 1:44 am modmaster50 Post #12

Quote from Hercanic
Dear Deathman:
Had you read the ReadMe included with STF, you'd know! =oP

Can you make a version of the latest STF on any SC version other than 1.07 or 1.14? Neither of those two types of mods work on my computer. (1.14 asks me for a file called "unit\", and 1.07 crashes). And, yes, I am running the mod on the right version.

Foofighters, is this going to include AI? Or will it be a multiplayer mod. I would imagine AI would be included if a story mode is also included.

None.

Apr 18 2008, 12:37 pm FooFighters Post #13

Quote from modmaster50
Quote from Hercanic
Dear Deathman: Had you read the ReadMe included with STF, you'd know! =oP
Can you make a version of the latest STF on any SC version other than 1.07 or 1.14? Neither of those two types of mods work on my computer. (1.14 asks me for a file called "unit\", and 1.07 crashes). And, yes, I am running the mod on the right version. Foofighters, is this going to include AI? Or will it be a multiplayer mod. I would imagine AI would be included if a story mode is also included.
Hmm, never thought of that, i may include some, but i need help with em, b/c the SC ones arnt really good scripts, so, if you would be able to help me, and try to help me make a ground unit go to an air unit form, i'd be very happy! thx for the thought

None.

Options
  Back to forum