Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Showcase > Topic: Co-Op Remaster Project [CRP]
Co-Op Remaster Project [CRP]
May 22 2023, 2:09 am
By: Excalibur  

May 22 2023, 2:09 am Excalibur Post #1

The sword and the faith

The Co-Op Remaster Project

[ Unsatisfied by the poor writing of most custom campaigns, and the general low-effort of co-op implementations for SC/BW's original campaigns, I've started on this project. The Co-Op Remaster Project or CRP is meant to bring together higher difficulty, proper resource distribution, and EUD enhancement in a way that still gives that classic feel. At times we may have opportunities to add new elements to certain missions or even correct certain elements that may not have been fully thought through. While this project does not have the aims that an outright modded campaign might have, it is our intention to find a Battle.net usable balance that gives more than traditional editing and past attempts have provided. ]

Completed Missions:
-New Gettysburg
https://scmscx.com/map/8rbjf2t8
-While the original was on the Space tileset, its apparent both from other descriptions and SC2 material that this battle was on-planet and not on an orbital platform. To that end it has been reworked on Badlands, with the Zerg containing the Confederates in the North West, Protoss fleets in the South West and North East, and a new Zerg hive cluster in the South East. The surrounding of the spaceport and second Zerg help sell the image of Kerrigan's forces being overrun after the Protoss are defeated. The map adds several EUD units including Rocket Troopers and Striker Frigates.

-Assault On Korhal
https://scmscx.com/map/yTxj6xg2
-The original mission had a UED strikeforce looking to assault fortified positions on the Dominion's capital world somehow landed in the middle of several bases. The reshaping helps show the UED advancing from the West with the Physics Lab positions in the North East and the Nuclear Silos in the South East. It also changes out many standard Terran units for some unique UED ones including Rocket Troopers, Grenadiers, and Phalanxes.

-Omega
https://scmscx.com/map/5HDt53ry
-The reshaping for this map is much more subtle in an effort to better divide resources, expansions, and AI positions. Kerrigan still occupies her central platform with the Dominion flanking her in the West, the UED in the North East, and the Protoss in the South. The additional fortifications on Kerrigan's platform both make sense for what would be her primary hive cluster following her assault on the second Overmind, as well as help players get used to the pace and difficulty of the mission. The Zerg are altered to have Hunter Killers, Leviathans, and the re-enabled venom attack on Defilers.

Future Plans:
There are a number of missions I'd like to tackle but I am trying to target missions that particularly benefit from the goals of the project. If you have a suggestion, please post it below.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 22 2023, 2:16 am by Excalibur.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

May 22 2023, 5:51 am Nekron Post #2

Having played the Omega one for a bit, I feel like with EUDs there's a lot of space to not to have to use what seems to be the Campaign Insane scripts. It's a bit of a shame, because seeing the same sets of ~5 attacks that are all too familiar from hundreds of other SC maps is exactly what makes me think something is a general low-effort of co-op implementation. But I dunno, it's still StarCraft so maybe for BNet that's just good enough - and it is better than some of the monstrosities that have been labeled "SC1 COOP" throughout the years

May 22 2023, 12:31 pm Excalibur Post #3

The sword and the faith

Quote from Nekron
Having played the Omega one for a bit, I feel like with EUDs there's a lot of space to not to have to use what seems to be the Campaign Insane scripts. It's a bit of a shame, because seeing the same sets of ~5 attacks that are all too familiar from hundreds of other SC maps is exactly what makes me think something is a general low-effort of co-op implementation. But I dunno, it's still StarCraft so maybe for BNet that's just good enough - and it is better than some of the monstrosities that have been labeled "SC1 COOP" throughout the years
I think a few things:
1. The insane scripts do an OK job at putting together some decent attacks, although they are fewer and far between than we might want for the intended difficulty. The waves are primarily to provide additional pressure between those attacks.

2. As this project wants to stay Bnet-ready, there are limitations to what we can do with AI options.

3. Something we discussed but ultimately have not done, at least yet, was creating an EUD Project file containing some 20-30 custom units and cycling them for different missions. It would also give us the option using EUD randomizers to shuffle them, giving both the player and the AI different units for each play through. I like this idea myself, but in practice I've found getting the AI to wield custom units properly does not go as well as I would like. A middle ground may be adding some randomization to wave composition, which is something I'm still exploring.

4. When we talk about previous low effort implementations, there have been countless Co-Op projects for the SC campaigns that simply throw down another start location and shit some additional minerals next to it in a pile. High effort is when they actually modify an AI script or do a few clicks of ISOM for build room. While these may not have as much done to them as full on mod projects, I think they sufficiently outdo most if not all previous non-mod Co-Op projects.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 22 2023, 1:39 pm by Excalibur.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

May 22 2023, 2:50 pm Sie_Sayoka Post #4

I think having UED be visually if not functionally different than the Koprulu Terran is a good idea. There's been 270 years of separation between Earth and Koprulu Terrans. Even as a kid I didn't buy that they would have the SAME technology and models so it's good that you took that into account. I understand that changing things too much would be against the spirit of "remastering" the campaigns but a few small changes can have big thematic differences. This can also apply to other factions within the same race. Here's some suggestions:

1. Naming of units such as "Terran Marine" can be changed to "UED Marine", in missions with multiple terran factions separate units can be used.
2. Having the visuals of certain effects be different. For example UED type missiles have blue smoke, exemplified by Valkyrie and Charon Boosters. Therefore it makes sense to change the smoke of UED things to blue.
3. Introduction of some cinematic elements into the campaigns. For example the Broodwar intro cinematic has a marine fire some rocket grenade thing at Zerglings. BC engine glows are blue.
4. Introduction of unused content. For example Mutalisks originally had an acid spray attack which the game still has. You could simply make this a new unit and call it protomutalisk or something.
5. Additional dialogue for new or different units. You could use AI to see if it's possible to make new voice lines for units. This will take A LOT of time though.
6. More music.

None.

May 22 2023, 3:59 pm Excalibur Post #5

The sword and the faith

Hey Sie.

Yes, we've already done some of this by replacing the UED's factory in the Korhal mission. I suppose we could go into making fully independent factions SC:FC style, but we are not able to insert new GRPs thus I can't make things as visually distinctive as I might like. That said we've already done some differences (using Kerrigan's ghost model, Marine as a subunit on Goliath legs etc) and will probably continue to do these types of things where applicable.

We have done both new units and changes to existing units depending on what the need is and what makes sense.

I'm unsure if full new voice lines is feasible even with EUD. I'd probably need to ask Armo.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

May 23 2023, 12:55 am Sie_Sayoka Post #6

Everything I mentioned is possible with EUDs with varying levels of difficulty and time investments. If you have any questions about how to specifically implement things just let me know.

None.

May 24 2023, 5:45 pm Nekron Post #7

You can use EUDs to mod AI afaik fwiw, JNCraton did it previously - https://github.com/jncraton/BWMetaAI/releases/tag/v2.3-alpha , http://www.staredit.net/topic/17511/

Fruitdispenser made a complete guide - http://www.staredit.net/topic/18202/

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 6 2023, 2:49 pm by Nekron.

May 24 2023, 8:04 pm Excalibur Post #8

The sword and the faith

Quote from Nekron
You can use EUDs to mod AI afaik fwiw, JNCraton did it previously - https://github.com/jncraton/BWMetaAI/releases/tag/v2.3-alpha, http://www.staredit.net/topic/17511/

Fruitdispenser made a complete guide - http://www.staredit.net/topic/18202/
Thanks for this. Armo covered some of it but Naver is not nearly as usable of a resource as this. I'll give it a read and see what I think I can handle out of it.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Oct 13 2023, 6:12 pm Vrael Post #9

Just played Omega, that was super fun, keep it coming!

None.

Options
  Back to forum