Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Controllable units that provide no vision at all - possible or n
Controllable units that provide no vision at all - possible or n
Nov 24 2022, 7:11 pm
By: SPyro_Malin  

Nov 24 2022, 7:11 pm SPyro_Malin Post #1

Another one of these weird little things I desperately need. Can you create an unit that provides literally zero vision? Even blinded creatured give some.

None.

Nov 24 2022, 8:10 pm Dem0n Post #2

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

You can disable vision for the current player and have them share vision with another player, and have map revealers or whatever for the other player. That way the current player can still see through that but have no vision of their unit. Also maybe there's a way to do it with EUDs but I don't know.

Nov 26 2022, 6:08 pm SPyro_Malin Post #3

I know about these, but it's not what I'm looking for.
I am looking to make something like psi-emitter from Sc2 coop (stukov). Basically something that player can move around freerly to manipulate locations, but I want this to not have collission or give any vision what so ever, while other units provide it like usually.
My first thought was some kind of blinded air unit with no attack... but if determined enough, you can still scout with that - and I don't like it.

Can you make it with rescueable units somehow maybe? I know rescued Reavers can do splash to you, so maybe I could disable vision of just the rescued units? Imma go check!

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 26 2022, 6:17 pm by SPyro_Malin.

None.

Nov 27 2022, 10:58 am IlyaSnopchenko Post #4

The Curious

Interesting, even if a unit's sight range is set to 0, it has a very faint sight circle.

Trial and error... mostly error.

Dec 3 2022, 2:55 pm ClansAreForGays Post #5

Quote from SPyro_Malin
Can you make it with rescueable units somehow maybe? I know rescued Reavers can do splash to you, so maybe I could disable vision of just the rescued units? Imma go check!
I'm guessing firebats, lurkers, and corsairs work the same?

Dec 3 2022, 11:05 pm DarkenedFantasies Post #6

Roy's Secret Service

Rescued Reavers can deal splash damage to yourself because the Scarabs in its hangar (if any) remain owned by the rescuable player until they leave the hangar, where they can also be rescued by either the Reaver itself or other nearby units. If they detonate before they can be rescued, they will deal splash damage to your own units because they're still owned by another player.

Dec 4 2022, 8:48 am IlyaSnopchenko Post #7

The Curious

I've run into an issue where interceptors in a rescued (hero) carrier don't deal any damage at all. That was confounding.

Dec 8 2022, 6:13 pm Sie_Sayoka Post #8

Quote from SPyro_Malin
I am looking to make something like psi-emitter from Sc2 coop (stukov). Basically something that player can move around freerly to manipulate locations, but I want this to not have collission or give any vision what so ever, while other units provide it like usually.
I don't know what the unit in SC2 does but if you want to manipulate locations you can do so with EUDs without the need of a unit at all. You can change the location box coordinates with the SCMD triggers. There's also things like MSQC from EUD Editor which allows cursor and input detection.

None.

Dec 13 2022, 3:56 am DarkenedFantasies Post #9

Roy's Secret Service

Quote from IlyaSnopchenko
Interesting, even if a unit's sight range is set to 0, it has a very faint sight circle.
Are you sure it really is set to 0 and not 1? I also believed that a sight range of 0 produced a small amount of vision, but I tried it myself just then (in 1.16.1) and units with a sight range of 0 did not provide any vision whatsoever. Maybe it's different in SCR, or modding tools are defaulting to a minimum of 1?

I guess to finally answer OP's question, it is possible. If for some reason setting sight range to 0 in SCR defaults to 1, you could try modifying the actual sight radius value for that specific sight range with EUDs: set deaths to 0 at 0x00513A2C (for units with sight range of 0) or at 0x00513A48 (for sight range of 1)---assuming those addresses are supported by SCR.

Dec 13 2022, 7:04 am IlyaSnopchenko Post #10

The Curious

IDK, I set it to 0 in PYMS, didn't see it revert to 1 like it does with some values it considers out of bounds like pointers to other .dat file entries above the default...

BTW location coordinates can also be set with AICE, which is very handy at times.

Dec 13 2022, 7:05 pm DarkenedFantasies Post #11

Roy's Secret Service

Alright, that was my mistake; tried again with a fresh state and sight range of 0 does indeed provide that small amount of vision. I must've accidentally left something in a modified state during testing. Setting the value at 0x00513A28 to 0 will make sight range 0 provide no vision. The value at 0x00513A2C is already 0 for sight range 0.

Options
  Back to forum