Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Burrow Detection
Burrow Detection
Mar 13 2022, 7:46 pm
By: Prankenstein  

Mar 13 2022, 7:46 pm Prankenstein Post #1

On my map, players are awarded a selector (Devouring One) at various times throughout the game to buy extra units. Players also earn gas which can be spent on different things. E.g., 500 gas can be used to buy a selector, and a selector can be used to buy 500 gas.

The selection area is pretty big, so was thinking it would be cool to give players a shortcut for buying gas by simply burrowing a selector.

Here's my implementation so far:

1) DT owned by Player 9 is isolated on a single tile of terrain on the corner of the map.
2) 1x1 location named "Burrow Detection" placed on top of DT
3) [Trigger] CONDITION: DC loop of 1 second ACTION: move all Devouring One to "Burrow Detection"
4) [Trigger] CONDITION: Bring Devouring One to "Burrow Detection" ACTION: Add 500 gas and remove 1 Devouring One at "Burrow Detection"

This actually works well but not without side effects. When trying to run around with the selector, it "stutter steps" and can't move around smoothly. If I increase the DC loop to say 3 seconds, it alleviates the problem but not fully. Plus there's up to a 3 second delay after burrowing.

Anyone know the best way to handle this?

None.

Mar 13 2022, 8:41 pm DarkenedFantasies Post #2

Roy's Secret Service

I assume a player can have more than one Devouring One simultaneously?

Mar 13 2022, 9:11 pm Prankenstein Post #3

I assume a player can have more than one Devouring One simultaneously?

That's correct.

None.

Mar 13 2022, 10:05 pm DarkenedFantasies Post #4

Roy's Secret Service

You might be out of luck in that case. At least nothing that doesn't trigger a unit's repathing comes to mind yet, besides some convoluted EUD triggers. I'll keep thinking about it, or maybe someone else has an idea, but I wouldn't hold my breath and would start looking for an alternative method.

Mar 14 2022, 1:56 am Prankenstein Post #5

You might be out of luck in that case. At least nothing that doesn't trigger a unit's repathing comes to mind yet, besides some convoluted EUD triggers. I'll keep thinking about it, or maybe someone else has an idea, but I wouldn't hold my breath and would start looking for an alternative method.

Some people are debating it in this thread:
http://www.staredit.net/topic/9584/

Seems many think there's a solid solution without many drawbacks, but haven't reached that same conclusion.

None.

Mar 14 2022, 7:35 am NudeRaider Post #6

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Congratulations, you found the standard way of slowing down units. ;) Although you usually do the reverse: Move the dt onto a 1x1 px location centered on the defiler and see if it's there. If you do this like every 6 trigger loops (0.5s) the slowdown/stuttering isn't too bad. You'd need 1 location for every defiler though, as you need to center it on the defiler at all times so it can't escape it.

Another way would be to select stuff with dark swarm. I'm assuming all player's defilers share the same location? Then it's harder to detect who cast the dark swarm as it's created for P12, as you know. What I suggest in this case is to always max every defilers energy and then use EUDs to detect which defiler has less than max energy.
It's still not perfect as it could happen that 2 players cast dark swarm at the same time which means you can't determine who cast which. I'd just delete the swarms then and reset energy. It's not very likely to occur again.

Finally there's also a way with EUDs to detect mouse cursor position. Maybe you can get that working.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 14 2022, 7:40 am by NudeRaider.

Mar 14 2022, 9:37 am Prankenstein Post #7

Quote from NudeRaider
Congratulations, you found the standard way of slowing down units. ;) Although you usually do the reverse: Move the dt onto a 1x1 px location centered on the defiler and see if it's there. If you do this like every 6 trigger loops (0.5s) the slowdown/stuttering isn't too bad. You'd need 1 location for every defiler though, as you need to center it on the defiler at all times so it can't escape it.

Another way would be to select stuff with dark swarm. I'm assuming all player's defilers share the same location? Then it's harder to detect who cast the dark swarm as it's created for P12, as you know. What I suggest in this case is to always max every defilers energy and then use EUDs to detect which defiler has less than max energy.
It's still not perfect as it could happen that 2 players cast dark swarm at the same time which means you can't determine who cast which. I'd just delete the swarms then and reset energy. It's not very likely to occur again.

Finally there's also a way with EUDs to detect mouse cursor position. Maybe you can get that working.

You might be confusing Devouring One (zergling hero), which I'm using as a selector, with Unclean One (defiler hero). The selection area is fairly large so the zergling speed is much more pleasant than using a civilian. I've decided to just add a few extra places where the player can trade a selector for gas, as seen below at locations, Buy Gas 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Failed to get ImageSize ( http://i.ibb.co/pfTvk4K/buy-gas.png )

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 14 2022, 9:44 am by Prankenstein.

None.

Mar 14 2022, 10:00 am NudeRaider Post #8

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from Prankenstein
You might be confusing Devouring One (zergling hero)
Ah you're right. I'm sitting sick at home, and concentrating is a bit difficult right now. :P

Mar 14 2022, 1:02 pm Oh_Man Post #9

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

If you preplace a bunch of burrowed units in a hidden corner of the map owned by another player, then when you need one give it to the appropriate player and move it to the appropriate location - it will already be burrowed so you won't see the burrowing animation.

Mar 14 2022, 7:15 pm Prankenstein Post #10

Quote from Oh_Man
If you preplace a bunch of burrowed units in a hidden corner of the map owned by another player, then when you need one give it to the appropriate player and move it to the appropriate location - it will already be burrowed so you won't see the burrowing animation.

Thanks for the reply, what would this help me accomplish?

None.

Mar 14 2022, 7:50 pm Prankenstein Post #11

Quote from NudeRaider
Quote from Prankenstein
You might be confusing Devouring One (zergling hero)
Ah you're right. I'm sitting sick at home, and concentrating is a bit difficult right now. :P

You're a champion for still trying to help!

None.

Mar 15 2022, 8:09 am NudeRaider Post #12

ah don't mention it. Got nothing else to do anyway. :)

Options
  Back to forum