Staredit Network > Forums > Introductions > Topic: Uh? Bonjour, I guess?
Uh? Bonjour, I guess?
Oct 26 2021, 4:58 am
By: Zergy  

Oct 26 2021, 4:58 am Zergy Post #1

Hello,

I'm Zergy, I play StarCraft since late 1998.
I discover the game back in September of 1998 while visiting a friend who broke one of his bone during the summer.
I was already into RTS (they were all the rage on PC at that time), and when he make me try StarCraft, I immediately fall in love with the game.
So, I received it on Christmas 1998, then Brood-War during summer 1999.

I started tinkering with StarEdit during 1999, creating one or two shitty maps - lost long ago - just to see how things work. As I didn't have internet access at the time, my only source for help were the built-in help of StarEdit and the maps given with the game.

I started my first campaign back in late October of 1999 and finished it in late October of 2002, it's a 60 maps campaign but it's not very good, the scenario is sometime "meh" and the difficulty isn't well balanced.
After a quite poor reception in 2003, I restarted it from scratch in March of 2003 and it is still not finished. (20 maps so far)

As I'm French, this campaign is obviously in French, but I translated the first map in English a week ago.

I don't know if I will be very active there du to language barrier, but it's good to see a StarCraft community that is still active, the French one is just a field of closed websites and dead links nowadays.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Oct 31 2021, 5:45 am by Zergy.

French map maker, not really active these days.

Oct 26 2021, 6:21 am Zincoshine Post #2

Yeah it's a real pity that the French community has completely died. It was the third most active community in the world with only the English and Korean communities being larger. By the look of things, it died around 2011 to 2013 which is around the time that the English community also almost died. Church, stratostygo, and DamnUFo0 however kept it alive long enough for remastered to come in and create a new golden age lasting until 2019. Unfortunately, it is dying again. 2019 almost became the first year to have no campaigns. Campaigncreations.org apparently sealed it's fate when it shadow banned me and the website is almost non functional now. Staredit.net, with Andrea Rosa leading the way in campaign creation, is all that's left now.

None.

Oct 26 2021, 8:55 am Zergy Post #3

Yeah, most of the websites I was visiting back in the days died around 2003 and 2006.
Some websites are still online (also available in English), but not very active anymore, and most of the discussions concerning StarCraft and maps creations in general died off around 2012-2013.

I was bring there by Bruce for the campaigns archive project, at least it permit me to dust off StarEdit (Even him is dead. T_T) SCMDraft 2 and remove my old website from it stasis status.

Oct 26 2021, 9:51 am Zincoshine Post #4

StarCraft's best hope for the future right now is "when one domino falls". By all indications, this will be the best campaign ever made if it is completed and released next year. It can be used to revive interest in brood war campaign modding once again and inspire people to make ambitious modded campaigns again. This Andrea Rosa era we are in has been good, but when you are equipped with PyMS, firegraft, and plugins you can truly bring campaigns to life and we really need someone to inspire a return to mods. Making a mod has never been easier than it is today.

None.

Oct 26 2021, 10:59 am Zergy Post #5

I wrote some French helps -sometime with the help of other persons- about some old modding programs like Arsenal III, SCMDraft, WinMPQ and MPQDraft, I guess it could be a good idea to learn how the modern ones work and write some help and tutorial. :)
I know most modding tool are for SC/BW 1.16.1, I don't know if some modding tools exists for SC:R.

But even a non modded campaign is good for me, if it have a nice general and map by map plots, is written well enough and had goods maps to keep the player entertained. :)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 31 2021, 5:47 am by Zergy.

Oct 26 2021, 11:51 am Andrea Rosa Post #6

Just a glitch in the Matrix

Your personal history with StarCraft is very similar to mine, Zergy. I too was introduced to it under unusual circumstances, and I created my very first experimental campaign before I had access to the Internet, but those maps are lost forever. It took me several more years to actually start working on something, because I was engaged with other projects, but I always knew it would have happened eventually.

Quote from Zincoshine
This Andrea Rosa era we are in has been good, but when you are equipped with PyMS, firegraft, and plugins you can truly bring campaigns to life and we really need someone to inspire a return to mods. Making a mod has never been easier than it is today.

LOL don't say that, there's plenty of decently skilled designers around, and I'm just one of them. Also, to be honest I don't see a lack of mods, the two most anticipated projects, by Ilya and Renato, are both bundled with a mod if I'm not mistaken. What is undeniable is that we are experiencing a little revival, mainly thanks to StarCraft Remastered, and hopefully more people will join the train.

Level Design Workshop

''Go to hell'' is basic. ''I hope your favorite StarCraft character gets voiced by Pr0nogo'' is smart. It's possible. It's terrifying.

Oct 26 2021, 12:12 pm Oh_Man Post #7

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Welcome. Wasn't aware of the French scene.

Any top tier French maps you would recommend?

Oct 26 2021, 1:22 pm Zergy Post #8

Quote from Andrea Rosa
Your personal history with StarCraft is very similar to mine, Zergy. I too was introduced to it under unusual circumstances, and I created my very first experimental campaign before I had access to the Internet, but those maps are lost forever. It took me several more years to actually start working on something, because I was engaged with other projects, but I always knew it would have happened eventually.
In my case, the first version of my campaign (the one who is 60 maps long) is still downloadable, but it really didn't aged well. After all, some people liked it, so… (beware, I didn't touched this old thing since 2003)
Version 2 was way better received.

Quote from Oh_Man
Welcome. Wasn't aware of the French scene.
Well, we never had any French equivalent to SEN or Campaign Creation, we had some larges Blizzard centered websites back in the days, some still active like Judge Hype, but nothing really big AND centered around maps creation AND that lasted for years.
- MetalPlanet.org was quite large and centered around WarCraft III and StarCraft maps making, but the website brutally closed in 2006 after the owners spend all their time on WoW and never renewed the domain (for what I heard)
- Aerie's Guard started in 2003 as a website centered around campaign making, testing and archiving for WarCraft III and StarCraft, but became more generalist after 2006-2007 and never get big enough. (Most of the French campaigns who are listed in the Campaign Listing topic come from their archives)

Quote from Oh_Man
Any top tier French maps you would recommend?
For what I know, we don't have any campaign involving mods (I'm possibly wrong there), but I have good memories of these ones:
- Over the Stars
- Réquiem Mnémonique (general scenario is mix bag with this one, but the maps have quite good ideas)
- L'Armée de l'Ombre
- Le Légende d'Adun (A little short, but have cool stuffs for what I remember)
- Dune
=> Refer to the campaign listing to download them

By the way, I didn't played these campaign for YEARS (I just restarted "Réquiem Mnémonique" some days ago), so, my advice isn't maybe the best.

Oct 26 2021, 4:14 pm Zincoshine Post #9

There are two French modded campaigns... I don't remember their names right now but they're indicated in the archive.

Quote from Andrea Rosa
LOL don't say that, there's plenty of decently skilled designers around, and I'm just one of them. Also, to be honest I don't see a lack of mods, the two most anticipated projects, by Ilya and Renato, are both bundled with a mod if I'm not mistaken. What is undeniable is that we are experiencing a little revival, mainly thanks to StarCraft Remastered, and hopefully more people will join the train.
The revival due to remastered ended in the end of 2018. The reason that This era is called the Andrea Rosa era is that you, with a little help from covid to give people time and Eredalis's advice, are the one who has created the current revival. Nearly every campaign released since voices of the swarm has been either released by you or has followed your formula. Prior to this, Juxtapose's interbellum and Your tales of Halcyon were the only two campaigns that had this formula.
Here's a full list of campaigns that follow the andrea formula:
- Tales of Halcyon, 2015
- interbellum, 2018
- Voices of the swarm, oct 2019
- migration, jul 2020
- Cold as ice, oct 2020
- champions of khandia, nov 2020
- outsiders, dec 2020
- wingman, may 2021
- unlikely allies, jun 2021
- vanguard of aiur, aug 2021
So as you can see, this is definitely the andrea rosa era we are in today.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 26 2021, 6:27 pm by Zincoshine.

None.

Oct 27 2021, 1:45 pm Andrea Rosa Post #10

Just a glitch in the Matrix

Ah yes, Eredalis proved to be really useful with his feedback back in those days, and so were you.

Quote from Zincoshine
Nearly every campaign released since voices of the swarm has been either released by you or has followed your formula. Prior to this, Juxtapose's interbellum and Your tales of Halcyon were the only two campaigns that had this formula.

If by that you mean relatively short campaigns with stories that are parallel to the events in the main timeline, then I guess you're right. It's like getting back to the roots, since this was the most common protocol for campaigns in the early years of StarCraft, which saw its highest point in the original Antioch Chronicles. It's a very practical formula, since the setting and background story are already there to use, and it was abandoned too early, in my opinion.

Level Design Workshop

''Go to hell'' is basic. ''I hope your favorite StarCraft character gets voiced by Pr0nogo'' is smart. It's possible. It's terrifying.

Oct 27 2021, 4:32 pm Zincoshine Post #11

Quote from Andrea Rosa
If by that you mean relatively short campaigns with stories that are parallel to the events in the main timeline, then I guess you're right.
In addition to the gameplay design of going back to starcraft's roots as a classic RTS and making it designed around the limits of the brood war engine rather than trying to overcome those limitations. Mission 3 in Vanguards of Aiur feels very much like something you would make.

None.

Oct 27 2021, 8:28 pm UndeadStar Post #12

I initially played Starcraft in french (though I may have had a weird mix, possibly SC in english and BW in french, ask a paleontologist to understand that weird era :rolleyes: )
But when I reinstalled it, this time went for full english, would be easier to communicate about modding or technical details like that or so I thought...well it's not like I communicate that much either way :lol:

Anyway Bienvenue, meme si je ne serais pas la personne la plus presente ici (won't be the most present person here) :P

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 28 2021, 5:33 am by UndeadStar.

Oct 27 2021, 9:24 pm Zergy Post #13

Quote from UndeadStar
I initially played Starcraft in french (though I may have had a weird mix, possibly SC in english and BW in french, ask a paleontologist to understand that weird era :rolleyes: )
But when I reinstalled it, this time went for full english, would be easier to communicate about modding or technical details like that or so I thought...well it's not like I communicate that much either way :lol:

Anyway Bienvenue, même si je ne serais pas la personne la plus présente ici (won't be the most present person here) :P
I already had the mixed language stuff when I installed the French version of StarCraft and Brood-War on a computeur running the German version of Windows 95, the game was full in French, but Staredit was a mix of French and German. :)

Options
  Back to forum