Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Assistance > Topic: Adding NEW colors to SC1
Adding NEW colors to SC1
Oct 9 2020, 9:39 am
By: Netbek  

Oct 9 2020, 9:39 am Netbek Post #1

I want these 4 colors in my SC1 mod.
I tried to make unit names be displayed in these colors, so I edited tfontgam.pcx:
Normal tfontgam.pcx
Edited tfontgam.pcx
But the result is just the closest colors from the SC1 color scheme, which are more red-ish...
I'm not sure, but it seems that only the Index of a color in these .pcx files really matters, and it points to some sort of overarching palette?

Is it even possible to add fully new colors into the SC1 color scheme? Can't I actually replace colors? So far, editing .pcx files only lets me replace some color from the existing SC1 colors with another color from the existing SC1 colors.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Oct 9 2020, 10:12 am by Netbek.

Oct 9 2020, 4:11 pm DarkenedFantasies Post #2

Roy's Secret Service

You need to modify the backgnd.pcx palette for menu interfaces (found in glue\), or the tileset palettes for in-game (.wpe files under tileset\). Usually this will require you to replace existing colors as most palettes have little to no unused color indexes. I would recommend picking existing colors from the palette to create your new font color instead.

For your information, color index 0, 14-199, and 255 are shared between all tileset palettes (a.k.a the "gamebasic" palette), so you should choose a color in that range to maintain color consistency between tilesets.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 9 2020, 4:19 pm by DarkenedFantasies.

Options
  Back to forum