Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Instant Desynchronization with EUD Maps
Instant Desynchronization with EUD Maps
Mar 24 2020, 9:49 pm
By: TheSophomancer  

Mar 24 2020, 9:49 pm TheSophomancer Post #1

Hey everyone,

With two recent EUD maps that I've been working on, I've been experiencing almost instant desynchronization when testing online with other players. These EUD maps operate normally when playing as single-player or with CPUs, but as soon as I go online with other players we will all drop almost immediately, even if we don't press any keys, click on any units, move the screen, etc. I abandoned one of these maps entirely a while back due to being unable to locate/resolve the source of this issue (a thread that I started a while ago regarding this subject when I theorized it was due to color-changing EUDs can be found here: http://www.staredit.net/topic/17936/ )

Some information about my maps:

-:- One of these maps was created with EUD Editor 2, the other with EUD Editor 3. Both used SCMDraft2 (updated to the latest version). One map also used SCPM5 for custom map graphics; the other did not.
-:- The EUDs for these maps have been very basic, including altered weapon types, weapon graphics, unit graphical properties, button layouts, AI commands, spell/tech distributions, etc. These are all things that I have successfully implemented in other EUD maps before.
-:- One of these maps was started around October of 2019, and one was started at the beginning of March in 2020. Both of these maps have resulted in the desync issue. The last successful EUD map that I created was back in May of 2019. While Starcraft has had several updates over the last year or so, I know other people have been able to make their new EUD maps work, so I don't believe Starcraft updates are a source of the issue.
-:- My maps suck (but that's (probably) not diagnostically relevant).

If anyone has an idea as to what the cause of this desync issue might be, I would greatly appreciate your input. I'm fairly trash at making EUD maps, so there's a possibility that I'm missing something obvious or making a noobish error/mistake. Also, I want to mention that I've read Roy's very useful EUD thread ( http://www.staredit.net/topic/14226/#6 ), but I'm still at quite a loss. Finally, if you require additional information or map links, just let me know. :)

Mar 25 2020, 6:10 am NudeRaider Post #2

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Multiplayer? Then probably an unsupported non-local EUD action. Blizzard doesn't support (and synchronizes) every possible EUD, so every EUD that isn't just cosmetic but has an game play effect and runs only for certain players will only run for for these players. The other players don't know about the trigger so their game state is different, resulting in instant desync.

Mar 29 2020, 1:35 pm Sie_Sayoka Post #3

If possible can you list the addresses you've used within triggers? This will help narrow down the possibilities. As Nude said, the desync will occur when a global action is applied from a local condition.

To narrow things down just delete half the EUDs and see if it desyncs then continue halving until the problem is found.

I've found that in some niche instances, such as having a non-liftable building sprite lift off, will result in a desync. Logically this shouldn't happen as all the euds should be global yet somehow it desyncs. Not to say this specific issue is the same as yours but it does illustrate that sometimes shit jusg doesn't work.

None.

Options
  Back to forum