Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: How to force computer AI to keep fighting
How to force computer AI to keep fighting
Sep 9 2019, 3:54 pm
By: Pipanni  

Sep 9 2019, 3:54 pm Pipanni Post #1

Hi

I've noticed this behaviour since the dawn of Starcraft: whenever an AI is beaten to an inch of extinction it just "gives up" and stops attacking and / or building stuff. Sometimes it rebuilds just the main structure (Command Center, Hatchery or Nexus) but then it just mines with a few drones, scv's, etc. It won't build additional structures and it won't attack any longer, it really seems like it has given up.

Is there any way to prevent this? I gave them unlimited resources and also tried resetting the trigger / actions to build a new main structure and start again from scratch, but to no avail. The AI just stands there like a sitting duck, waiting to get snuffed out of existence, even though they have more than enough resources to keep fighting. Both my enemies and allies behave this way.

Can someone shed some light on this? Could it be too many units on the map or something like that?

Cheers,
Pipanni

None.

Sep 9 2019, 4:14 pm Pr0nogo Post #2

In SC1, AI will "hang" at a point in their script if they can't satisfy a request. Without an example map I can only assume that the AI is breaking because if a request it can't fulfill, likely due to its tech being destroyed (i.e. it's trying to build a spire but has no lair, but it's stuck on the spire request, so it won't ever rebuild the lair). This is easily fixed just by adding the aise plugin to your mod, as aise includes a request recycler to circumvent precisely this issue. More info here: http://pr0nogo.wikidot.com/rs-ext-ai

A much more roundabout solution would be to study the script's requests and figure out what it needs, then using triggers to create or give them the tech requirement situationally until they've rebuilt whatever they're hanging up on. This is not a catch-all though, as the nature of SC's gameplay means it's impossible to predict which structures die first, and which requests the AI will hang on.

Sep 11 2019, 5:18 pm Pipanni Post #3

Thanks, I'm going to check out the link you provided. I have zero experience in mods, though :P

None.

Sep 11 2019, 6:19 pm Pr0nogo Post #4

It shouldn't be a big task since all you need to do is add an existing file and then test to confirm that it's working. If you run into any issues though, feel free to ask.

Options
  Back to forum