Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Discussion > Topic: Unknown Files within MPQ
Unknown Files within MPQ
Apr 20 2019, 7:07 am
By: Kolokol  

Apr 20 2019, 7:07 am Kolokol Post #1

Whenever I open a StarCraft MPQ file with PyMPQ, there are a few files at the very bottom that are marked as unknown. They are labelled "Unknowns\unknown_", followed by a series of numbers and letters after the _. There is no file extension. Even when I extract the files, my computer does not display any file extension. Under "File type", my computer just displays "File".What could these files be, and how can I access and modify their contents?

None.

Apr 20 2019, 7:55 am DarkenedFantasies Post #2

Roy's Secret Service

I have 2 of them in both StarCraft.mpq and BroodWar.mpq; in both cases, they're wavs of the "swish in/out" of the menu UI. I also have 4 in StarDat.mpq, which appear to be portraits. Not sure if they're the same files as me, but you can open/edit them by giving them the appropriate file extension (.wav or .smk, respectively).

Apr 20 2019, 8:11 am Pr0nogo Post #3

Same as DF. Portrait files are, in order, Khaydarin Crystal (or some variant), static, static, Khaydarin Crystal. The static is presumably used for a few frames when switching between selections.

If you have more than the described unknowns, you have an old listfile or something.

Options
  Back to forum