Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: SC Beta Potentially Located
SC Beta Potentially Located
Mar 25 2019, 7:59 am
By: Kolokol  

Mar 25 2019, 7:59 am Kolokol Post #1

I was searching "Starcraft Beta Download" on Google because I wanted to experience the Starcraft Beta. A video on Youtube and an article on Reddit made it sound exciting. Unfortunately, Blizzard for some reason did not officially release it.
Here is the Reddit article in question:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/21895i/starcraft_1_alphabeta_magazine_article/
Honestly, it almost seems as good as the public release version of Starcraft.
Eventually, during my quest, I have stumbled upon this thread on the TeamLiquid site:
https://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/109061-starcraft-beta
It provides instructions on how to supposedly download and run it. Now, I have tried to download it, but UTorrent isn't working for some reason.
Anyways, I just felt that this was worth sharing.

None.

Mar 25 2019, 8:35 am Pr0nogo Post #2

There's no one seeding so it's unlikely that the torrent's data will be transmitted any time soon. If anyone manages to make it happen, I can mirror it on my mega account to make sure we always have a copy.

There was a beta version circulated through Hallfiry's website, but I believe the files there are much newer than the ones you've linked to. Would be a nice catch, if only for a 'what might have been' moment, though this version of the game had way more issues than what shipped.

Mar 25 2019, 8:50 am Kolokol Post #3

What does it mean to seed a torrent?

None.

Mar 25 2019, 9:36 am Oh_Man Post #4

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Oh my sweet summer child

It means upload a file over a peer to peer network, basically

Mar 25 2019, 4:24 pm Voyager7456 Post #5

Responsible for my own happiness? I can't even be responsible for my own breakfast

Based on the comments and screenshots posted later in the TL thread, the torrent was likely for the same version as the one on Hallfiry's website.

EDIT: There's a mirror at advantageous.com linked in the same thread - I downloaded it from there and it's the same 12/24/97 beta.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 25 2019, 5:26 pm by Voyager7456.

all i am is a contrary canary
but i'm crazy for you
i watched you cradling a tissue box
sneezing and sniffling, you were still a fox

Modding Resources: The Necromodicon [WIP] | Mod Night
My Projects: SCFC | ARAI | Excision [WIP] | SCFC2 [BETA] | Robots vs. Humans | Leviathan Wakes [BETA]

Mar 25 2019, 5:52 pm NudeRaider Post #6

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Starcraft in 1997? Impossibruh!

Apr 5 2019, 11:09 pm Brusilov Post #7

I'm more interested in the Alpha versions, personally, just because back then air units still had strafing/rolling/banking combat animations. Way more exciting than what we got in the end, even if it's more practical this way. Plus lots of neat looking unit and tileset graphics that never found their way into the final product.

Interestingly, I pulled data from the beta back in the day and found that the air unit's GRP's still had the frames for their old combat animations, but the iscripts for these units didn't make use of them. Would've been good stuff for a mod.

None.

Jul 17 2019, 4:26 am Tamamo-no-Bae Post #8

http://www.blizzardarchive.com/pub/index.php?id=starcraft You can get the Battle.net beta here.
It's a much earlier build than the released one and had quite some differences.

Sadly the Beta Gate needed to play it broke sometime ago.
It's possible to use a battle.net emulator like pvpgn to host a beta server, but I haven't figured out how to.

(CD-key is 3333-33333-3333)

None.

Options
  Back to forum