Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Theory and Ideas > Topic: List of things to be mindful about when making a UMS map
List of things to be mindful about when making a UMS map
May 21 2018, 6:09 am
By: lifebot  

May 21 2018, 6:09 am lifebot Post #1

1. Never put a final version in your map. Your map will likely have at least one bug that you don't know about. What happens when you discover this bug after you release a final version? Final2? Right, from that point on you will feel a sense of a fuck-up and most likely the final version will be hosted over the final2 version, making your bug fixes ineffective. Your map is basically "stuck". Go by version 1.00, 1.01 and so on.

2. Don't make your maps go over 3mb if you want a shot at your map becoming popular on US West. It just becomes too slow to DL, and people may just leave your lobby.

3. Don't make your maps under 300KB. Bad bad idea why? Do you remember when you join a game and leave the lobby right away during old B.net? You press join and the game lobbies don't show up at all. You'd had to wait awhile for the lobbies to show again. This was to prevent trolling of joining and leaving. Since remastered came out or the new B.net, Blizz removed this. Now we see a lot of people just joining and leaving for no reason esp if your map is DL'ed fast (~300kb). If your map is around 1.5mb to 2mb, people have to at least wait a little but it also discourages them a bit to leave your lobby now since they spent that time to wait for the map to DL. To make your map size bigger, just add some music/fx.

4. Post your map on nibbits and SEN but SEN only allows up to 2mb. When you patch your map, upload the patched version so people don't download the old version.

5. Put somewhere in the map where a user can contact you ex. your email or discord channel so they can report bugs to you. The players will probably want the bugs fixed if they like your map, but if they can't get a hold of you due to lack of contact info it's kind of unfortunate.

Post has been edited 5 time(s), last time on May 21 2018, 6:22 am by lifebot.

Options
  Back to forum