Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Hyper Triggers not working anymore
Hyper Triggers not working anymore
Feb 3 2018, 7:43 pm
By: Resguy  

Feb 3 2018, 7:43 pm Resguy Post #1

Just a random guy

I've been playing in my map and for some reason I had to redo the triggers and only 1 of them is not working and it's the Hyper Triggers.

I've tried for All Players/Player X/Force X;

Always
Wait 0 x 63 + Preserve Trigger

Switch 1 is Set
Wait 0 + Clear Switch 1 + Wait 0 + Preserve Trigger

Switch 1 is Clear
Wait 0 + Set Switch 1 + Wait 0 + Preserve Trigger

Death at 0 Cave
Set 1 Death Cave + Wait 0 + Set 0 Death Cave + Wait 0 + Preserve Trigger

None of them worked either at the beginning of the list or the end. I'm out of ideas and I need them. Any help?

Resguy

Feb 3 2018, 7:54 pm Roy Post #2

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

We can only guess with the information you've given us. It could be:

1) You have wait blocks that make it seem like hyper triggers aren't working when they are.
2) The map you're editing vs the one you're playing are different files.
3) You're expecting hyper triggers to do something they don't actually do.
4) You're playing on non-UMS settings.

If you can go into more detail on exactly what isn't working, or if you post the map so that someone here can look at it, we can provide more useful suggestions and feedback.

Feb 3 2018, 9:26 pm Resguy Post #3

Just a random guy

Thanks. I had 1 wait trigger that was there when I had the original hyper triggers that worked. Guess they weren't compatible anymore.

Resguy

Mar 2 2018, 6:34 pm lifebot Post #4

Also you can make sure the hyper triggers are set to Computer Player 8. If you do not have a computer player, hyper triggers will not work.

Mar 2 2018, 7:39 pm Lanthanide Post #5

That's not true at all. Hypers can be owned by any player capable of running triggers (P1-8) and can function properly.

There isn't any particular advantage or disadvantage to having them owned by human or computer players - both types of players are equally susceptible to wait blocks, although I would say on balance that human players are slightly more susceptible due to the existence of the "transmission" trigger action which has a built-in wait which has no function when applied to a CPU player.

In fact having multiple players in your map own hyper triggers is safer, because in order for a wait block to happen, all players must simultaneously have a 'wait' action. This if a human and a CPU both have hypers, it means you can use 'wait' actions for the CPU if you want (so long as you're sure the human can't also run a wait). There are very occasional instances where using a wait in a trigger is convenient (especially debugging or quickly prototyping something), but everything that can be done with wait can be done with DCs & timers.

http://www.staredit.net/wiki/index.php/Hyper_Triggers
http://www.staredit.net/wiki/index.php?title=Wait_blocks

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 2 2018, 7:46 pm by Lanthanide.

None.

Mar 2 2018, 11:19 pm lifebot Post #6

Quote from Lanthanide
That's not true at all. Hypers can be owned by any player capable of running triggers (P1-8) and can function properly.

There isn't any particular advantage or disadvantage to having them owned by human or computer players - both types of players are equally susceptible to wait blocks, although I would say on balance that human players are slightly more susceptible due to the existence of the "transmission" trigger action which has a built-in wait which has no function when applied to a CPU player.

In fact having multiple players in your map own hyper triggers is safer, because in order for a wait block to happen, all players must simultaneously have a 'wait' action. This if a human and a CPU both have hypers, it means you can use 'wait' actions for the CPU if you want (so long as you're sure the human can't also run a wait). There are very occasional instances where using a wait in a trigger is convenient (especially debugging or quickly prototyping something), but everything that can be done with wait can be done with DCs & timers.

http://www.staredit.net/wiki/index.php/Hyper_Triggers
http://www.staredit.net/wiki/index.php?title=Wait_blocks

Ah, didn't know you can have hyper triggers for Human Players also. Good to learn something new

Mar 3 2018, 6:01 am NudeRaider Post #7

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from Lanthanide
in order for a wait block to happen, all players must simultaneously have a 'wait' action.
It's worth mentioning, that this is only reliably true when the hyper triggers are last in everyone's trigger list, or more specifically below the offending wait. Otherwise the hypers, which are above the offending wait, will block the trigger containing the wait. Whereas when the wait is above the hyper, the hyper will get blocked, but since you have other players still running the hypers, their hypers will keep the hyper effect active.

Options
  Back to forum