Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: [EUD] Random Tower Defense 1.90ex3 Map Editing Error
[EUD] Random Tower Defense 1.90ex3 Map Editing Error
Dec 25 2017, 3:40 am
By: Xiao  

Dec 25 2017, 3:40 am Xiao Post #1

Not sure where else to put this so I'm putting it here.

Hey guys, ever since the last patch as you know a lot of EUD maps became playable again. One really popular one is Random Tower Defense 1.90ex3 or 랜덤타워디펜스 1.90ex3 in Korean. I had time this weekend to sit down and translate almost everything correctly. I've edited everything through SMC 2.88 string editor. There are a couple of words mistranslated, but I really was just rushing through everything to see if the game worked. I start the game and everything looks good. I get into lobby, get past mission briefing, but then I encounter an error. This picture explains what I saw. https://gyazo.com/87fd5d54494faa2cf45d29cafea2d972. The original map works just fine and is 100% playable.

Confused, I went back to the beginning. I opened the original map with CHKDraft and saved it under a different file name. I load that and play it and I'm able to get past the error point. Next I edit just one thing with CHKDraft, the map name in lobby and save it. I load it and see if I can play it and the error happens. So I could be wrong but I probably need to do something special when editing EUD maps for them to playable.

I've also previously tried extracting just the chk file using SMC, saving it as a scm file, then playing it but that doesn't work either.

The translated file is attached btw if you want to look at it.

None.

Dec 25 2017, 4:52 am jjf28 Post #2

Cartography Artisan

SEN doesn't support un-protecting maps without the authors consent, translating is a bit of a grey area, but please respect the author and try to get their consent before distributing altered versions of their map.

Chkdraft currently has limited support for reading maps with overlapped sections, as overlapped sections are extremely common in protected maps, editing and re-saving a map with these could result in a disjointed section which won't load properly in StarCraft (saving without editing should be fine, as Chkdraft will not change un-touched sections).

EUD enabled maps may also use some higher level of protection where they hot-load some portions of the map after they've loaded using EUDs, Chkdraft will not recognize anything like this. They could also potentially be comparing a hash of the map to something stored in the CHK using EUDs, which would keep the map protected unless this was ripped out.

I may have some time to improve the overlapped section parser later this week, but your best bet is to contact the author, get the unprotected map, translate it, and depending on the author's wishes, re-protect it before releasing.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 25 2017, 5:16 am by jjf28.

TheNitesWhoSay - Clan Aura - github

Reached the top of StarCraft theory crafting 2:12 AM CST, August 2nd, 2014.

Dec 25 2017, 8:39 pm Suicidal Insanity Post #3

I see you !

Almost all of the Korean EUD maps have a bunch of data in the string chunk behind the normal strings, which cannot be moved. So anything that edits the string section must keep the length equal or smaller than the original. Some also use some sort of checksum mechanism.

Jan 9 2018, 4:33 am Underworld Post #4

Hey,

Do you know all the mission combinations?

I love this map, but getting quite annoyed at only being able to get to the carrier 10% of the time, and when I do, only being able to get the carrier to 50% at best. I learned from someone else today about red needing 7 level 2 defilers to get a lvl 4 tower civilian. I've got it twice, so I know it works. Blue needs 8 DT's, I've seen it work once...unsure of the other colours, so I know there are more hidden tricks. Korean really stunts my luck at guessing what.

I see posts on that naver blogsite of the map creator, with people getting 6-10 lvl 5 towers, and talking about hidden/secret missions.

Any help would be great.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 9 2018, 10:31 pm by Underworld.

None.

Options
  Back to forum