Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: thinking about CPU upgrade
thinking about CPU upgrade
Aug 30 2017, 3:41 pm
By: NudeRaider  

Sep 11 2017, 10:54 am NudeRaider Post #21

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from Roy
Quote from NudeRaider
So I'll probably move a step up and pick an i7 this time. Especially considering that there's now an i9 line.
Eh, the fact that an i9 line exists shouldn't influence your decision; the i7 would be the same with or without the higher tier, and something I wouldn't recommend to most people only interested in gaming.
Well I did say that multitasking has become and is likely to become more and more important with time.

Quote from Roy
I suppose I wasn't counting 2+ years as part of the near future; if you can wait that long for RAM, the prices fluctuate plenty over the long term.
Why not? RAM demands haven't been growing very fast in the past, so 16 GB will probably be good for a few years. My 8GB have lasted me 5 years now.

Sep 11 2017, 11:16 am Excalibur Post #22

The sword and the faith

Quote from NudeRaider
Quote from Roy
Quote from NudeRaider
So I'll probably move a step up and pick an i7 this time. Especially considering that there's now an i9 line.
Eh, the fact that an i9 line exists shouldn't influence your decision; the i7 would be the same with or without the higher tier, and something I wouldn't recommend to most people only interested in gaming.
Well I did say that multitasking has become and is likely to become more and more important with time.
This, and the improvements in modern applications / newer iterations of DirectX are reasons why I want to get myself at a higher core count in the near future. Pretty soon we're going to be looking at 4c/8t the way we're looking at 2c/4t.

Quote from NudeRaider
Quote from Roy
I suppose I wasn't counting 2+ years as part of the near future; if you can wait that long for RAM, the prices fluctuate plenty over the long term.
Why not? RAM demands haven't been growing very fast in the past, so 16 GB will probably be good for a few years. My 8GB have lasted me 5 years now.
Depending on the titles you play it might be smart to have a higher amount. A friend of mine that I play with regularly has issues playing Player Unknown's Battlegrounds at 8GB. Although fixed at 16GB, that makes me view 16GB as the new norm for today's world, and should not be considered so long term. I expect 32/64gb to be normal in the next 2-3 years unless storage improvements improve in speed/latency, and thus reduce the need for a lot of RAM. I also fully realize we're talking about an early access / un-optimized game but they are becoming more and more popular and part of the gaming norm each passing day.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Sep 11 2017, 4:53 pm NudeRaider Post #23

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from Excalibur
Depending on the titles you play it might be smart to have a higher amount. A friend of mine that I play with regularly has issues playing Player Unknown's Battlegrounds at 8GB. Although fixed at 16GB, that makes me view 16GB as the new norm for today's world, and should not be considered so long term.
That's exactly what I said a few posts back. I already would've upgraded to 16GB if I hadn't had in mind that I soon might upgrade my platform.

Quote from Excalibur
I expect 32/64gb to be normal in the next 2-3 years unless storage improvements improve in speed/latency, and thus reduce the need for a lot of RAM. I also fully realize we're talking about an early access / un-optimized game but they are becoming more and more popular and part of the gaming norm each passing day.
Imo 32GB to be the norm in 2 years, even more so 64GB in 3 years is unrealistic, frankly. (And even then my upgrade planning would be on time.) I expect 32GB to be necessary / the norm around 2020/2021.

Jan 2 2018, 7:23 pm NudeRaider Post #24

A quick follow-up for anyone who's interested:

I ended up buying after Christmas when the CPU finally was available and back to normal-ish price. This is what I got:

- Core i7-8700k (ya, pretty much the option, given I expect it to last a really long time and cores/threads to become more and more important)
- MSI Z370-A PRO (just something that gets the job done)
- 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V Dual Kit (CL15@3GHz sounded pretty neat at 175,- Euro)
- Scythe Mugen 5 (Mainly due to asymmetric design to make sure not to block RAM slots)
Ended up paying 690,- € for the whole setup. Why have mainboards become so expensive? Also RAM is just ridiculous right now. :thumbdown:

So far things are working pretty well. The only issue I had is that out of the box my LAN port would be shown as working properly, but actually didn't communicate with the router. Luckily installing the driver from the mobo DVD fixed it.

The cooling works great:
20°C room temp
33°C idle temp
45°C medium load (1 core at 4.7GHz)
70°C stress temp (prime95)
no audible fan sound. HDD is the loudest part. May tweak fan profile a bit so the temps stay lower, depending on how it behaves with different games.

Also finally I can fully utilize my GTX1070. Seeing 60% more fps in CPU heavy games. :teehee:

Anyone interested in a battle hardened i5-2500k platform (cpu, mainboard, ram, cooler)? :apos:

Options
  Back to forum